Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

" Inside Daisy Clover"

joefilmone

This Property Is Condemned was another flop. Natalie and Redford didnt have any luck in their mutual vehicles.......I havent seen the film in awhile, but I found it less entertaining than Daisy Clover. The ending was really blah. I think it was a reworked Tennessee Williams play?

The problem I have with THIS PROPERTY IS CONDEMNED is that although Natalie is beautiful in this film, she plays a dumb sleazy small-town country girl, and while she looks as good as a young Robert Redford, her character is not of high quality and not well educated, while he is socially and culturally way above her. He has to fight a bunch of mean **** just to be able to kiss her a couple of times. Not worth the effort.

LOL. True. The film just kind of fizzles out. You only learn what happens to her from her kid sister. Not a satisfying ending (although Daisy Clover's ending is also unsatisfying for other reasons.....)

I saw them filming one of the night scenes of this movie (in the rain) in the French Quarter in New Orleans back in 1966. I read about it in the local newspaper and found out James Wong Howe was the Director of Photography. They were filming on Bourbon Street, at night, and using a bunch of sprinkler pipes for the rain. They had the camera mounted on scaffolding about 25 feet in the air, looking down.

It was the scene near the end when Redford was walking alone in the rain late at night.

Anyway, once Howe set up the basic scene and photography, he climbed down and stood around while the camera operators shot the scene. I was able to walk over and strike up a brief conversation with him. Just a couple of minutes. He seemed busy, but he was polite to me. :)

Well, he did have a box office run in the 70s for awhile......(I too find it hard to believe he had the clout back then to do that. It was probably due to code concerns it was toned down...)

Supposedly the *Butch and Sundance* casting was a round of musical chairs with several male stars, including Steve McQueen, mentioned for the roles. I've read that when it came to Paul Newman, he agreed and lobbied hard for Redford as his co-star. It turned out to be right for all concerned.

I can see McQueen as Sundance...I doubt that Redford had any clout to change the script at the time of "Daisy Clover"- I imagine his agent would have been against him playing a gay man- or at least bi.

I wish Redford had played the husband in "Rosemary's Baby"

No, I don't either, James. Newman and McQueen were in Towering Inferno. I think they worked okay together, although they didn't have many scenes together. But the chemistry that Redford and Newman had in Butch Cassidy was unusual. I think that Redford learned a lot from Newman. Newman helped him become a better actor.

There was no chemistry between any of the actors in Inside Daisy Clover.

While Burt and Kirk started together in many movies in most of them their characters are against each other or only somewhat friendly to each other (I don't see Doc and Wyatt as bros since both were hard men to get along with).

They were enemies in movies like I Walk Alone and Seven Days In May. They didn't have a true bromance until their last film, Tough Guys.

Paul and Robert start of with a bromance!

Oh, I don't know, James. It seems to me that for Kirk to voluntarily take the place of the condemned to hang Lancaster in 1959's The Devil's Disciple, AND for Burt's willingness to drop the clergy as his line of work in order to save Kirk's behind later on in that flick...well, I think there had to AT LEAST be just a LITTLE "bromance" goin' on 'tween the two of 'em, wouldn't ya say?!

(...forgot about THAT movie, didn't ya) ;)

There have been bromatic couples in the movies going back to the silents- but Newman and Redford where the bromanctic couple of the 70's. Yes Redford is "Rosemary's Baby" would have been truly shocking - Cassavetes is fine but he already seems kind of twisted.

> {quote:title=joefilmone wrote:}{quote}Plummer probably wanted to play such a dark character to change his image from "The Sound of Music".... Redford has said that he did not play the character as homosexual....Wood is giving her all but she probably needed a better script- I'm curious about the book.

No issue with what Plummer wanted to do, just that he's horrible in a horrible film. So, he's lucky he did THE SOUND OF MUSIC, because INSIDE DAISY CLOVER did absolutely nothing for his career.

I always enjoyed watching Natalie Wood perform. She was a good actress. And as I have already stated, I love Robert Redford. But I just think this movie was weird - I may have seen it 4 or 5 times over the years, and for me, it just has never gotten any better.

Over the years, I've come to like it more, though its definitely an oddity. I think the supporting players (particularly Christopher Plummer) come off better. I dont think it's Wood's fault, just how her character is written (or underwritten)...