Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hard Times (1975) tonight

roverrocks

Looking forward to seeing the great Hard Times (1975) tonight. I have not seen this in many, many years. The definitive Charles Bronson film to me. Was there ever a tougher man portrayed than Bronson's Chaney? Captures the brutal Depression era in all it's tragedy and survivalist had-to-be. I'm so glad I did not have to live through the Depression. Chaney is the ultimate quiet tough guy wimps like me wish we were, had been, and could be. Love Coburn in this as well.

I saw this film when it first came out in '75 and was really impressed with it. One of Bronson's best and very underplayed roles. As he was in most of his films. Coburn was perfect as "Speed" the hustler promoter who couldn't keep his mouth shut.Plus the wonderful Strother Martin as Poe, the almost a doctor cut man. An excellent and under rated piece of film making .Not a bad first directing gig by Walter Hill.

Edited by: fredbaetz on May 29, 2013 2:32 AM

> {quote:title=roverrocks wrote:}{quote}Looking forward to seeing the great Hard Times (1975) tonight. I have not seen this in many, many years. The definitive Charles Bronson film to me. Was there ever a tougher man portrayed than Bronson's Chaney? Captures the brutal Depression era in all it's tragedy and survivalist had-to-be.

Bronson's an actor who's grown on me over the years, and I agree that Hard Times is his best starring role, and also the best movie he ever played in. 99 times out of 100 films set in the past are little more but eyerollers, but Hard Times is one of the rare exceptions that sticks to the essentials and doesn't get bogged down in sideshows and phony nostalgia.

In the film actor Michael McGuire plays a character named "Chick" Gandil. The fight promoter Coburns character was trying to get the best of. The real "Chick" Gandil was a baseball player for the 1919 Chicago White Sox and was the ring leader for the scandal in the throwing of the World Series that year. He was found guilty in the "Black Sox" scandal and banned from the game for life. But he moved to Ca. and lived till his death in 1970. Has nothing to do with the movie, but found it interesting never the less....