Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movie endings you hated/were confusing

Was there ever a movie that left you wondering what exactly happened? I know for me it was "To be or not to be" with Lombard and Benny. The ending was awful-i thought she would be faithful to her husband-does anyone agree? How about those endings where you feel as is you cannot go on knowing they cannot be together-like Roman Holiday. I thought a piece of me was gone when the credits rolled. Well, what about you? Tell!

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

The ending of Once Upon a Time in America neither confuses me nor disappoints me, but leaves me with a feeling of total disorientation and sad nostalgia.

The bittersweet ending of The Purple Rose of Cairo brings me to tears every time.

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

"So Proudly we Hail" Claudette Colbert. The ending which is also the beginning where she is left in shock and she is on deck of a returning ship, she is read a letter from her "new" husband George Reeves who she only spent one night with in a fox hole before he left her. I believe it's a doctor or chaplin reading a letter to her about returning to the farm he left her and that he will meet her back there. All the times I have seen this, I picture him writing this left before he saw more combat and was killed, but know I'm thinking he did survive and that is the bright hope that she sees and comes out of her trauma. I know this is just another film that leaves you mind open for imagination, for you to answer the question. Anybody got some input on this spectacular film?

jerry

I really love this movie- all the stars, Paulette Goddard and her big dumb boyfriend, Veronica Lake and her hatred of Japs, the sarge and her son dying- so may little stories within stories. The ending was strange though- always in the WWII era movies you had that chin-up, fight-on theme going on. The extremely positive message at the end- fitting for the time yet maybe a little sappy. I always thought Claudette Colbert's husband died, but not 100% for sure now that ya mention it!

Happen to be watching it again tonight just for the sake of the ending. In the beginning the doctor says to the other nurses that he has a letter from "John" from ??? Monatua(Sp?), anyway this is where John was going for medicine/supplies. This letter is in his hand and had just gotten delivered to him, seems to me "John" must of survived! at least that battle. I also just figured out them nurses where only there for about 6 months on Bataan. The story starts on May 8 1942 when the nurses are exiting an airplane (which was their evac plane), but then story goes back in time, when they are "going" to there duty station in Hawaii, Pearl Harbor gets attached (Dec 7, 1941) So their total tour was about 6 months, much less time than the men saw. I still love seeing it over and over. Finally have it on DVD so I can zing thru it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

for me, it's always been those "can't be together" endings that have irked me. for example, roman holiday, vertigo, and casablanca (the patriotic thing wasn't quite enough... i wanted them to be together!).

as for confusing endings, of course... belle de jour (did he die? what was real and what wasn't?)

• 2 weeks later...

I can't watch those movies where the dog or the horse or what ever animal dies at the end of the movie.... ie The Biscuit Eater. Ah yes the biscuit eater. I remember watching that as a kid with my four big teenage and adult cousins and there dad. We were all bawling our eyes out.! Oh my gosh! or the Yearling... great movies yes..... but no, no I just can't watch them any more

Kate

• 2 weeks later...

Kate, I can't watch them either. "The Yearling" "Old Yeller," "Where the Red Fern Grows.." I hate it. I always choke up even if the movie ends on an upbeat. I even cried at the end of "Turner and Hooch" when that d-mn disgusting slobbery dog died. Geez.

Tracey

• 2 weeks later...

I've said it before but, I'm saying it again...the end of "My Fair Lady". All Higgins can say at the end is "Where are my slippers?"...??? And I know about the whole epilogue thing...

And I agree also with the "Guys and Doll" ending...I think the stage show was a bit different...

I hate "can't be together" endings too, or more generally, endings that were substantially altered from the source material, whether to conform to the Production Code or for some other reason. While it's a costume epic, not a romantic comedy, "Forever Amber" is a perfect example of this latter trend. I know for a fact - having read the novel - that things work out for the heroine in the end in the original, but because "sin" always needed to be punished according to the Code, Linda Darnell lost everything in the movie version. Bleagh.

-Joe-

I don't really understand the ending to "The Big Sleep" either.

I used to feel bad about this - especially since I'm a huge fan of Bogie and Bacall and have seen almost all the films either of them ever made. But I watched it again and again and tried to play really close attention. And I still don't really get it.

But just last week, as Robert Osborne was introducing this one, he mentioned that *he* doesn't understand the plot of "The Big Sleep" either.

That made me feel a bit better!

Regarding The Big Sleep, I think that not understanding the plot of many 1940s murder mysteries was a basic trick that screenwriters and studios used to try to make the audience think they were watching an extremely intellectual and intricate film, but what they were actually watching was basically a trick purposely designed to confuse the audience.

This trick is similar to the different tactic used in simple detective movies in the 1930s, like Charlie Chan films, which always had 5 or 6 suspects and clues that implicated all of them, but not enough information contained in the whole film for the audience to be able to figure out which one was guilty, so the detective had to explain the important clues and who was guilty at the end of the films. That was a tactic of the 1930s.

Another ?40s film with an incomprehensible plot is ?The Lady From Shanghai.? And there is still no good reason why the Wonderly woman killed the detective Miles Archer in ?The Maltese Falcon?. However, I like all of these films.

One problem with ?The Big Sleep? is all the different names, especially of characters we never see. I think maybe one time I?ll study the film and write down all the names and various relationships between the various people.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Sorry backlotangel, it's a little late to reply to this (since you posted last December), but I have a way to cheat with Bunuel's Belle de Jour and it looks as if no one else brought it up. If you watch a subtitled version (and I see you're from France/US, so maybe you haven't turned on the subtitles) you can tell "what was real and what wasn't". You see, the dialogue in the fantasy scenes feature subtitles in italics; the "real" scenes do not.

Hope this helps!

I know its not a Romantic Comedy, but that ending in Gilda was bloody horrible!

I think it would have been better if he shot her in the end, or something!

The entire film is about the contradiction of hate and lust, not "love"...so why did they end up together? Its just doesn't make any sense whatsoever!