Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What movie do you really want to see--but can't

skimpole

Wow, skimpole... I've always thought you must have just about the most esoteric taste in film on these forums, and I think the movies you cite in your post prove it.

I looked up *Out 1 Spectre -* here's a link for anyone who, like me, had not heard of this movie:

[i|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out_1] can see why you'd have a little difficulty gaining access to that one.

For myself, I'd like to see some of the rare silent films that even TCM can't seem to get a hold of.

Also, some of the British films that for reasons beyond all comprehension, have no "rights" in Canada,

(Like *Billy Liar* and *Dead of Night.* Although thanks to the kindness and generosity of one of our fellow posters here, I was able to get hold of the latter. )

Edited by: misswonderly on May 29, 2013 9:35 PM

For some reason that link didn't "take"...oh well, anyone can look up "Out 1 Spectre" on wiki.

*The Black Pit of Dr. M* (original Mexican title: Misterios de Ultratumba ) with English dubbing. The dubbed version used to be shown on local NYC television in the 1960s and is now considered lost. I long to hear Dr. M's voice, as he stops playing Csardas by Monti on the violin, saying to his amazed wife and daughter, "Yes it's me. I came back in Elmer's body!"

Violin.3.jpg

*Letty Lynton* - 1932 Joan Crawford film. The film has been unavailable since 1936. The courts decided that the script too closely resembled the play Dishonored Lady and credit was never given. TCM does show David Lean's *Madeleine* , *Letty Lynton* is loosely based on Madeleine Smith's story. The film introduced Adrian's padded shoulder look for Joan Crawford, and the photographs of the ruffled sleeved gown, to me is one of the most beautiful costumes on film. I think the film is suppose to be available in 2025.

*Porgy and Bess* - another film tied up in legal problems. I remember watching the film on TV many years ago, but it's been available for a long time.

*Mother Love* - it's an excellent British mini-series starring Diana Rigg. I watched it in 1989 on PBS. It's unavailable in the States. I called PBS a few years ago to see if it will ever be shown again and they said probably not, but they said it is requested all the time.

MWAH and xoxo's Swithin. :) Thank You. The mini-series cannot be purchased thru Amazon, they've had the same message for years, that when it becomes available, blah,blah,blah. I can try the youtube route, I don't know how much of it I'll be able get thru that way, but I'll give it a shot. THANK YOU so much for looking for it. :x

I was surprised I'd never heard of it. I was/am pretty alert to UK arts products, as it's been a bit part of my job, so I don't know how I missed it. I love Diana Rigg -- saw her onstage in Pygmalion, The Misanthrope, Medea, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, etc. I particularly liked her as Lady Dedlock in the mini-series of Bleak House, much preferred it to the later version.

Oddly, a search of Amazon.co.uk, from which I have purchased UK PAL DVDs, leads to "Diana Rigg at the BBC" but does not include "Mother Love." Looking elsewhere online, there seems to be alot of pleading by people who want the BBC to release it!

What about movies you can't see because they don't exist. On the Simpsons there was a has been actor called Troy McClure. Since he was voiced by Phil Hartman who died he hasn't been around for a long time. After introducing himself her always mentioned some of the movies he was in. For example: Alice's Adventures Through The Windsheild Glass, Alice Doesn't Live Anymore, The President's Neck Is Missing, Today We Kill Tommorrow We Die, Gladys The Groovy Mule, Leper In The Backfield. On his final appearence he mentioned a nature documentary called Man Vs Nature, The Road To Victory. Also on the Simpsons Moe The Bartender talked about a film called Alice In Underpants. On an episode of WKRP Herb Tarlek plans to go to a film called Kiss Me Kick Me. Who wouldn't want to see those films. (Also, I heard there's a film called Snow White And The Seven Sailors which may or may not exist.)

Edited by: sfpcc1 on May 29, 2013 11:43 PM

Lavender, I remember MOTHER LOVE if that's the one where Diana Rigg did a variety of evil things trying to control her son and everyone else around her and getting back at the second family of her ex-husband. She was pretty terrifying as you didn't know whether she was going to get away with it.

There's a British website which tells which British TV shows have been lost. You'd think BBC would have done a great job preserving their work, wouldn't you? Wrong. The great late 1960s THE POSSESSED has never been released on VHS or DVD because only a 16mm version now exists. A production of another Dostoevsky novel, THE IDIOT, which received rave reviews but wasn't shown in the US, is unavailable because one of the episodes is missing. That's probably what I'd like to see most.

One move I'd love to see again is "The Bue Veil". For some reason this has not been shown on television in many, many years. Jane Wyman and Joan Blondell both received Oscar nominations, and has a tremendous cast. Robert Osborne has even mentioned this movie many times in his introductions. There must be some legal reason why it's not shown.

Terrence.

I would like to see STEAMBOAT 'ROUND THE BEND again. It was on TV a lot in the 1950s, but I haven't seen it in years.

Will Rogers is the star, also Anne Shirley.

Much of it was filmed on the Sacramento River, to represent the MIssissippi River.

In fact, most steamboat scenes in 1930s movies were filmed on the Sacramento River. I can tell because it is not as wide as the Mississippi. There were many steamboats still in use on the Sacramento River in the 1930s.

In STEAMBOAT 'ROUND THE BEND, there are 7 or 8 of them in one massive scene of the steamboat race.

Large photos from the movie:

http://steamboats.com/museum/davet-roundbend-lg.html

boatfire.jpg

Fred, I believe Steamboat Round the Bend has been on TCM in recent years. I was also waiting to see it, after reading about it in an article about John Ford. If not TCM, it has been on some other channel.

3 tv movies have been shelved permanently.

Peter Pan 1976 w Danny Kaye

Brave New World 1980

Woman Of The Year 1976

Its not as if tv made alot of tv movies that it can afford to sit on the good ones it did bother to make.

Its possible they are waiting for all involved to die so as not to have to pay any money. thats a good reason. :(

ginnyfan,

Thanks for posting the nice photo from FRECKLES. The Doll Dance was a fun scene. Virginia performs it in front of her classroom at school. The music used is the 1925 Nacio Herb Brown song "Doll Dance".

I'd love to see FRECKLES (again). But also LADDIE, not just for Virginia W. but the movie also features another of my relatively unknown favorites, Gloria Shea.

Thanks for the information, MN. The doll scene gets raves from the NYTimes reviewer. Both those films sound like they were perfect vehicles for Weidler and it's a pity I can't see her at her best, not that the later work was shabby or anything.

> {quote:title=skimpole wrote:}{quote}What movie have you never seen, want to see, but are unable to see for some reason or another? My choices are Out: Spectre and Art of Vision.

My answer to that question my entire life was *What's So Bad About Feeling Good?* with Mary Tyler Moore and George Pappard. Then finally about a week ago I looked online again and found someone put up the whole movie! :) I watched a very grainy recorded-off-tv-20-years-ago-pan-and-scan-cut-up-for-commercials version, but I SAW IT! And I loved it, by the way. But I still want TCM to show it so I can see it for real, as it were.