Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Jeopardy Final Question May 28 2013

sfpcc1

This was tonight Final Jeopardy question. The subject was Actors.

Brock Peters gave the eulogy at this man's 2003, funeral, acknowledging their over 40 year friendship.

Nobody got the answer. One person said Sammy Davis Jr, (he won the game.) I think most people here can get this question.

I could not believe they all answered incorrectly! At least 2 of the contestants were old enough to have seen or at least heard of To Kill a Mockingbird. I was too young to see it in the theater, but as a teenager, I saw it several times on television. Everyone knew about this critically acclaimed film; how did they miss this question? It made me sad to think that the giants of Hollywood are being forgotten. BTW, Happy Belated 102nd birthday to Vincent Price (May 27). I'm almost positive he'll never be forgotten......................

Well, I've certainly seen *To Kill a Mockingbird*, and I've read the book. I am also pretty familiar with much, if not most, of Gregory Peck's work.

"That said", I see this particular Jeopardy challenge as more a trivia question about who spoke at somebody's funeral, rather than a test of how much somone might know about classic actors and their history. Yes, Brock Peters played an important role in *To Kill a Mockingbird*, and it is a fine thing that he spoke at Gregory Peck's funeral.

However, I did not know that. I did not know when Gregory Peck died, nor how his funeral service was conducted. I never know that kind of stuff.

With respect to the others who've posted on this thread, I don't really think that knowing those kinds of details is a reflection of how much of a fan of classic movies or classic actors a person is.

> {quote:title=sfpcc1 wrote:}{quote}This was tonight Final Jeopardy question. The subject was Actors.

>

Actually, the category was American Actors, which makes you wonder why no one came up with the correct response.

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}With respect to the others who've posted on this thread, I don't really think that knowing those kinds of details is a reflection of how much of a fan of classic movies or classic actors a person is.

Damn straight. I could pick Guy Kibbee, Mary Boland or C. Aubrey Smith out of a line-up but I've never heard of Brock Peters.

Ever.

ps- I was on Jeopardy! once. It was not fun.

Well again you summarize what I felt. OK, I admit I had to google Brock Peters. Now I knew who he was when I saw his picture but not just from his name. I was also was aware that Peck died around that time frame but I'm not sure I would of came up with Peck as my answer.

If studio movie fans like us wouldn't get the answer I don't expect the everyday Joe to get it

That's true. Peters worked with MANY notables over the years, that ANYONE of them might have been mentioned. Many people, even "dyed-in-the-wool" movie buffs, might get the times of death mixed up over time. I myself might have guessed Charlton Heston, who died five years after Peck. But Peters did a couple of movies with Chuck, too.

Sepiatone

I have to admit I would've written down: "Who was Ossie Davis?", if I were one of the contestants.

But of course, after Alex revealed the correct "answer", I did recall Mr. Peters giving the eulogy at Peck's funeral.

(...but then again it wouldn't have made any difference in the final score if I had been playin', 'cause I would have been SO ahead of the other two contestants by Final Jeopardy that I wouldn't have needed to bet one single dollar during that part of the show, 'cause it would've been a runaway!!!!) ;)

LOL

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote} However, I did not know that. I did not know when Gregory Peck died, nor how his funeral service was conducted. I never know that kind of stuff.

It might interest you to know that Gregory Peck died on June 12, 2003, a little more than a week after CBS aired a three-hour special about the American Film Institute's top 50 heroes and top 50 villains in movie history. The No, 1 hero was Atticus Finch from "To Kill a Mockingbird."

I was so ashamed that I couldn't get that one last night because I didn't know who Brock Peters was, and with only 1962 as a clue (part of the question was that they met in a 1962 movie), holy cow, there are so many great films from that era. I was kicking myself when I saw the answer.

Okay, where to start on this wonderful, take it where you will theme....

*Dargo-* I am impressed! Did you attend Peck's funeral, or just recall the details in reports later? ;-)

*jaakem-* the facts you give are really quite interesting; I believe it. I seem to recall a time when the old AMC (back when it really did have classic movies and the great Remember WENN tv series) had the temerity to feature a great actress or actor's better films, only to read about their death happening after the showing. It's like they were just waiting to watch their work one last time. Next day or two later, they were gone.

*mw -darlin', James, Sepia, Twink-* I learned about Jeopardy and the odd-bits trivia over time. You're right, mw, it is not a fair question for a movie lover. It is about obtuse information, actually. I find most of the clues in Jeopardy are of that nature. Ken Jennings I think figured this out. This is not a show you can necessarily study for, and you can cruise Almanacs and -pedias and news sites like Huffington Post to prepare, then never get a question that pertains to the information you've read.. It is about bits of information floating around us, not really a depth of study in a field.

General knowledge, but not really expert, would do well. Then there is the strain of buzzing in before others, and the audience and the cameras.

You would think journalists would be a natural great contestant, and you would be right. But according to the rules, anyone who has even walked in for an interview in television would be disqualified. I say that for journalists would be perfect big winners, but you will never see them.

*Lonesome-* Take this to heart: You have no reason to be ashamed, you are a very knowledgeable gal! It is not the depth the knowledge, but the odd details and how they connect. That's the secret.

*Addison-* You're great, you old crocodile.. :)

h5. My son works at Sony; I am not qualified either.

Edited by: casablancalover2 on May 29, 2013 4:22 PM

>Dargo- I am impressed! Did you attend Peck's funeral, or just recall the details in reports later?

LOL

Yep, the latter, Char. Greg and I didn't run in the same circles all that time I resided in SoCal. ;) And nope, I don't recall ever having the pleasure of boarding the gentleman on any flights out of LAX, either.

I suppose I should have said somethin' down there in this such as: "But of course, after Alex revealed the correct "answer", I did recall hearing or reading somewhere about Mr. Peters giving the eulogy at Peck's funeral."

Now this is amusing. The final Jeopardy category for tonight (Wednesday, May 29th) was *American Military Men.* The answer was: "In April 1951 he told Congress 'In war there can be no substitute for victory'."

Edited by: jakeem on May 29, 2013 8:03 PM

I don't get many Final Jeopardy questions right, but that question the other night was simple for me. Soon as I heard the name Brock Peters, I only knew him from To Kill a Mockingbird, so I knew the answer was Gregory Peck. I thought it was an easy question and was surprised none of the contestants got it right.