Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gah!: MUST we be subjected to another Clint Eastwood love-a-thon?

Maybe I'm just still bitter about the "Johnny Mercer" doc he directed for TCM (?): Clint Eastwood Presents- Clint Eastwood's Impressions of Johnny Mercer and their Effect on the Life of Clint Eastwood; a Clint Eastwood Film, Featuring his daughter Francesca "The Helen Keller of Jazz" Eastwood and her renditions of Clint Eastwood's Favorite Mercer Songs

Maybe I was underwhelmed by the Thelonious Monk doc he did for the network- Clint Eastwood Presents: A Clint Eastwood Film: Thelonious Monk, what he means to Clint Eastwood- directed by Clint Eastwood, Featuring Clint Eastwood

(fyi- I was a little unimpressed by Monk's work itself, sounded too much like a cat on a piano to me.)

But *why another night dedicated to the Clintster?* (at least this time he's supposed to be the subject of the doc as opposed to co-opting every moment for himself.)

Maybe I'm just a hater, and if everyone replied with "shut up Addison, you're just bitter. We LOVE us some Clint"- then I'll back off. Of course, if you wish to share in a cup of Hatorade, please feel free to pull up a chair.

ps- you're right, I don't like him as a person and I don't like his films either.

pss- TCM, *no hating on you.* You've been *really good lately.* I enjoyed In Old Chicago last night and am *really digging* on all the premieres and new blood you've pumped in, and of course, J'adore Illeana, so this is just a bitchy little quibble. It's just one night and all. But is anyone with me on this?

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on May 30, 2013 6:02 PM

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on May 30, 2013 6:05 PM

I assume the reason TCM is pushing Eastwood is marketing. Eastwood has a current (living), fan base. Thus I assume the say 'why?' for Eastwood, just like I do for Drew and Cher. (and note that all three have a very different fan base).

Uh oh, I drank some of the Hatorade. I can see it TCM's way: Clint is potentially a big benefactor for the network. He could help finance restorations. He has a big fan base. Yes, it's smart for the network to do this. But I'm not interested in seeing any of the scheduled films.

Try to think of this as the Summer Under the Stars day devoted to Elvis which you know will please other people but you have no intention of watching.

TCM has had some great things on recently. THE CRANES ARE FLYING was as good as SansFin and JackFavell had said it was. The Alain Delon tribute. I recorded IN OLD CHICAGO and look forward to watching it, possibly during Clint time tonight.

Well, thanks to everyone thus far; I must say I'm relieved the feedback has been such as it has.

*Believe it or not,* I really was (somewhat) reluctant to post something negative about the programming on TCM because *it has been on a marvelous up-tick for some time now,* and heck- it is just one night.

PS- King, In Old Chicago is all right, it's a lot like San Francisco in that it takes forever to get to the damn disaster (and is kind of boring in getting to it), but Alice Brady is sensational (as I knew she would be)- miles away from her other Oscar-nominated work as the dithery socialite in My Man Godfrey. Such a shame she died within a year or two after winning Supporting Actress for this.

PSS- Finance, I love me some Johnny Mercer, but it really seemed to me that his "documentary" had, well, very little of Mercer himself and waaaay too much of Clint talking about his impressions of Mercer's music, and of course, that daughter of his murdering Skylark.

PSSS- Clint's Daugher, if you're reading this: if one is limited vocally, p'raps one should not tackle so ambitious and melodious a song as Skylark. I think Frere Jacques played on the recorder might've been a better number to show off your rare talent.

PSSSS- Yeah, I know I'm an awful person. What about it?

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on May 30, 2013 7:58 PM

I appreciate nights like this on TCM. I very much like Clint Eastwood but I have no interest in documentaries of personalities of any ilk and I have watched before the movie and so it means a night when there is no impetus to watch the current programming and I can attend to the many other things which demand my attention.

It would be awful for me is TCM had at all time programming which I did not wish to miss as it would mean I would have no time for other aspects of life.

Well the Eastwood movie White Hunter Black Heart is based on John Huston and his trip to Africa during the filming of The African Queen, so there is a tie in there with the studio era.

I haven't seen the movie but that is one I'm interested in because of Huston.

Yea, Eastwood's kids are not very talented (his son can play bass OK, but about as good as some of my amature friends).

Ann, I'm with you. I love Clint Eastwood and his work, as both an actor and particularly as a director. I don't know why so many people on these message boards dislike him.

The only reason I'm not watching *White Hunter Black Heart* (one of the few Clint Eastwood-directed films I have not yet seen) is because my husband did not feel like watching it.

Maybe I'll rent it on DVD sometime ( there's still a movie rental place in my city.)

I do not understand why such a talented and intelligent filmmaker is so disrespected by TCM fans.

ps: If he's good enough for the likes of people like Martin Scorsese, he's good enough for me.

Edited by: misswonderly on May 30, 2013 9:24 PM

Clint Eastwood has evolved from a B- movie actor to an international cinema icon to one of our most dependable film makers. His movies even when they fail are worth watching. The documentary was a Eastwood love a thon- I wish it had been a bit more critical.

I'm watching this film "White Hunter, Black Heart" for the first time, and so far I like it. The main character (John Huston?) reminds me of my husband-does what's right in his own eyes, but sounds like the most un-PC person in the world to hear him.

Edit-Never mind, my husband's neither nearly that preachy and self-righteous nor that touchy. I don't like that part of this character.

Edit-Geeze how I insulted my poor husband, this guy's nuts.

Edited by: AnnF on May 30, 2013 10:22 PM

Edited by: AnnF on May 30, 2013 10:32 PM

I'm a complete non-fan of Eastwood's cop movies and westerns, but I'd love to see TCM do a back-to-back screening of Flags of Our Fathers, Letters From Iwo Jima, Bird, Gran Torino and Million Dollar Baby. That'd beat 90% of what we've been getting on prime time lately, all but Bird would be TCM premieres, and those first two movies would be a 100% improvement over those endless repeats that were shown over the Memorial Day weekend.

He can then debate another chair for an encore, and hope that he does better this time around. ;)

Oh my word! It's a great movie, but I'm aghast at what he lead to happen, even though I already knew this couldn't end well. I never dreamed this would be the bad ending, I thought it would it be something more allegorical

I should say, more completely allegorical. It was allegorical, alright, but the terrible event was completely a real event.

I love movies that keep me on my toes, that I can't guess ahead!

Edited by: AnnF on May 30, 2013 11:01 PM -to use more fitting word

Edited by: AnnF on May 30, 2013 11:03 PM

Does anyone recognise the tune the natives are singing? I just realised it's the one from "Gone With The Wind", when someone in the movie is singing "All the darkies in Atlanta"

Fantastic movie!

> {quote:title=joefilmone wrote:}{quote} The documentary was a Eastwood love a thon- I wish it had been a bit more critical.

I didn't watch it, so I'll (mostly) keep me yap shut, but I can't say as I'm surprised. Most of these documentaries done by HOLLYWOOD on HOLLYWOOD tend to take that turn down **** Lane at some point- I know I've only now (barely) recovered from the reeeeeeeeeeally pretentious Brando doc that TCM aired a coupla' years ago.

> {quote:title=AddisonDeWitless wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=joefilmone wrote:}{quote} The documentary was a Eastwood love a thon- I wish it had been a bit more critical.

> I didn't watch it, so I'll (mostly) keep me yap shut, but I can't say as I'm surprised. Most of these documentaries done by HOLLYWOOD on HOLLYWOOD tend to take that turn down **** Lane at some point- I know I've only now (barely) recovered from the reeeeeeeeeeally pretentious Brando doc that TCM aired a coupla' years ago.

Yeah, Hollywood looks out for its own, especially the icons. I suppose wth Clint Eastwood himself being in the documentary, they couldn't be too objectively critical.

Clint's okay, though he doesn't make my day. What I don't like is that

little person, not using the m word, in one of his westerns. Totally

annoying and it has very little to do with his lack of stature. Think the

actor's name was Wee Willie something or other. A real pain all around.

Well, another reason for all the Clint is that today is Woody's birthday.

Guy's really getting up there. Hang in there, preacher man.