Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Titanic" vs "A Night To Remember"

RIP0716

I have viewed both movies & consider "A Night To Remember" a much better production & true representation of the facts. The movie is based upon the book by the same name authored by Walter Lord who had researched the truth than 20th Century Fox has. Just my opinion.

*Titanic* 1953 is a decent Hollywood film, with the factual story serving as a backdrop for a fictional soap opera type script. So that film plays fast and loose with Titanic facts. The British 1958 film *A Night To Remember* is done in a semi documentary way, a very well done movie (a favorite of mine) and is the definitive telling of the Titanic story. So I agree with you 100%

Another very amusing fact is that 20th Century Fox does not know the difference between port (left side) & starboard (right) as evidenced by the shot of the Titanic hitting the iceberg. The shot shows the Titanic hitting the iceberg on the starboard side, yet the underwater shot showed the ice cutting into the port side of the ship. The historical truth is that the ship was cut open on the starboard side while the port side was never affected!

I just watched the beginning of *Titanic* (I have seen it a number of times and it is an entertaining film, very good cast) . Clifton Webb wants to get on board at the last minute and has to buy a ticket from a poor immigrant (how distasteful was that?) In reality the Titanic was not close to being fully booked so he would have had no problem getting on board. That scene just underlined Webb's upper class scorn of the "common folk" , a typical additude of the times.

The thing about *Titanic* is that the story does not go as you expect it to and that gets to you. Norman's and Richard's relationship is the best part of it. Norman is more of a man than the one he thinks his father; you wonder how he managed to do it idolizing Richard as he does. When he gives up his seat I always get weepy; Barbara Stanwyck makes you feel Julia's pain. Richard's acceptance of Norman when it's too late is so bittersweet. This is a soap opera but a good one. I think the script deserved that Oscar.

That said, *A Night to Remember* is the better film as it's the more accurate about what really happened. I'll watch that one any time I can as well.

> {quote:title=mrroberts wrote:}{quote} Clifton Webb wants to get on board at the last minute and has to buy a ticket from a poor immigrant (how distasteful was that?) In reality the Titanic was not close to being fully booked so he would have had no problem getting on board. That scene just underlined Webb's upper class scorn of the "common folk" , a typical additude of the times.

Well, you may also remember that Clifton goes down into third class to retrieve the family of the man whose ticket he bought- prompted by the lifeboat captain who asks "are all your family accounted for?"

It's a nice scene, completely and thoroughly innacurate, but a nice scene- very HOLLYWOOD, but only slightly manipulative (the complete opposite- again- of the 1997 film which is completely and thoroughly innacurate in ways that are- at times- grossly offensive, belittling of the actual tragedy, and insulting to the intelligence of the viewer,)

TITANIC 1953 is too depressing for me.

First the guy learns his wife is leaving him and taking their son.

Then he learns that the boy he loves is not his son.

Then his ship hits an iceberg and is sinking and he can't be saved.

Then his not-son leaves a lifeboad and winds up going down with the ship with the non-dad.

Talk about a bad day!!!

No thanks.

I keep hoping they'll make a Titanic movie in which the Carpathia is only 5 miles away when they receive the Titanic SOS signal.

Also, looking for a film in which Jesus gets a last-minute pardon from Pontius Pilate.

I'll put myself in jeopardy here and defend aspects of the 1997 movie.

I don't see how scenes depicting hundreds of panic stricken passengers scurrying around blindly, re-enactments of people falling overboard or being trapped hopelessly below, or scenes showing people being hit by the falling rear section of the ship as it broke in two( a FACT I don't think was recreated for either movie mentioned here) and the hundreds of frozen corpses left floating in the water after the ship went down can be called "innacurate" or "belittling" of the actual tragedy. If anything, the re-enacting of the sinking is probably more accurate than any other movie concerning this tragedy.

I get it. It's a newer movie. People here don't like Cameron. Neither do I...he CAN be quite the jerk. AND the soryline that takes up most of the beginning of it is often treacly...so is the one in the 1953 version.

Scenes of men standing stoicly singing "Nearer My God To Thee" insults the intelligence more than anything else.

Sepiatone

To me *A NIGHT TO REMEMBER* is the ONLY Titanic movie. All others are unworthy to compete The James Cameron version is merely an expensive badly written fan fiction. :) (Though Cameron's film does have fantastic production design, I must admit, but so does A NIGHT TO REMEMBER-- I mean raking the whole set at exactly the angle the ship would be at is awesome)

> {quote:title=man_with_9_lives wrote:}{quote}I have the book by Walter Lord. It is so much better than the movie. A Night To Remember is way better than Titanic. But its almost an impossible story to tell.

I don't think the book is better per se-- just a different medium, IMHO-- but the book is FANTASTIC.

An example of an error in Titanic (1997) that insults the intelligence of the viewer: the characters wade through *freeezing cold* water below decks for 45 minutes worth of the film, yet seem refreshed by it, not cold at all- and no lasting effects (!!!!???).

Another: "that Picasso, he'll never amount to anything"- also the pictures that are shown as having gone down with the Titanic are TOTALLY ON DISPLAY IN MODERN DAY MUSEUMS.

Another: the axe and the handcuffs.

One that belittles the tragedy via historical revisionism: apparently the ship hit the iceberg because the guys on watch were watching Jack and Rose kiss and didn't have their eyes on the water. Barf.

And another: Cameron chose to FALSELY DEPICT AN ACTUAL CREWMEMBER (even using his REAL name) taking bribes in order to allow people on a lifeboat. *This never happened.* In fact, the person whose name he smears actually has a scholarship named after him in his native village in Ireland.

He also falsely represents the conduct of Bruce Ismay- the owner(?) of the steamship line that owned Titanic. There is no evidence he is openly responsible for the tragedy by forcing the captain to go top speeds nor is there evidence he dressed as a woman to esape NOR was he ostracized by society for the rest of his life.

No, it's not that it's a newer film or a Cameron film or that it's a fashionable film to dump on: it is an awful, awful film; innacurate, overblown and exploitative of a genuine tragedy.

(but it's cool if you like it, it's a free country.)

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on May 30, 2013 4:37 PM

Now you're talking apples and oranges. So the couple waded though freezing water for 45 minutes...HEY! Wasn't Kenneth Moore DRENCHED in the same level of freezing water, but STILL managed to wrestle free that collapsable? I never said the newer Titanic wasn't full of holes. Just that the re-enactment of the SHIPWRECK looked more accurate. I'll concede that several facts weren't known until years after "Night" was made, so I'll not make any complaints. Incidentally, the guys in the crow's nest were done watching Jack and what's her name kiss for quite a while before the 'berg made it's appearance. And the crewmember DIDN'T take any bribes, but coldly scowled at the man who proffered one. He later shot himself, which I've heard arguments for and against it actually happening.All in all, I'm in agreement with those here who claim that between the "old" TITANIC" and "NIGHT" that the latter IS the better of the two. And even the newer one.Sepiatone

> {quote:title=AddisonDeWitless wrote:}{quote}

>

> No, it's not that it's a newer film or a Cameron film or that it's a fashionable film to dump on: it is an awful, awful film; innacurate, overblown and exploitative of a genuine tragedy.

>

>

>

>

>

> (but it's cool if you like it, it's a free country.)

>

>

> Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on May 30, 2013 4:37 PM

> I agree with all of Addison's problems, plus the fact that if Jack & Rose had waited til the ship went under to let go of it, they would have been sucked under (that's why the lifeboats didn't go back). I have to remind Sepia that Kenneth More's character being in water then getting out of it was different because he wasn't in the water that long, plus his was taken from Lightoller's actual account. If Jack & Rose had been waist deep in the freezing water for as long as they were, they wouldn't have been able to walk after a while and probably would have lost at least toes or something.

Sepia does make good points about the fact that Cameron had advantages in just knowing in more detail how the shipwreck went, although in recent years we have learned even his account was wrong-- the ship didn't split the way he shows-- but he didn't know. So in a few years, someone else will make a newer more accurate version, and so on into infinity.

This is why I prefer to think of Titanic as a fanfic......

Edited by: LonesomePolecat on May 31, 2013 4:41 PM

That's true, Cat! I do recall seeing something on the HISTORY CHANNEL that there was a THIRD section that broke away which was recently found.

What I'd like to see is a version of the TITANIC story that simply deals, as did "NIGHT", with the shipwreck almost exclusively. NO side story concerning a few fictional characters. NO glossing over the actual events. At least as well as they could with whatever facts that have recently been determined.

Sepiatone

I recommend you find that History Channel show. A movie for general release (or even a TV movie), that was NOT a documentary but only dealt with the shipwreck wouldn't sell tickets in my view. No producers would risk the millions it took to make such a movie.

The 90's version of Titanic sold big because it combined a romantic story with a historical one. This is what sells regardless of how we might view this movie (PS: I know you appreciate this version more so than most others here).

I guess my point is that making movies about actual historical events is tricky. Yea, I want them to 'keep it real' but at the same time it has to be entertaining to the general US audiance. Tombstone was a good example of a good balance (which the many versions done during the studio era were NOT in my view).

I am late in commenting on this subject but I hope my insights will spark new discussion. I have watched James Cameron's "Titantic" too many times, "A Night To Remember" a few times and for the first time viewed the 20th Century Fox "Titantic". I was going to compare and contrast each movie but I decided all which could be said about each movie has been said.

I want to bring attention to the "Titantic" movie which had Barbara Stanwyck being her glamorous self as usual. The character actress who played her daughter, Audrey Dalton, what a pretty lass. During the month of May 2013 I was subjected to this talented actress on "Titantic", a television anthology program "Thriller", "The Big Valley", and "Dragnet 1967". I remember seeing her in "Seperate Tables" and she was great. Ms. Dalton is a very talented character actress who is "sneaky cute". I wish Ms. Dalton could have acted in more movies so we could see more of her talents.

As far as the *"panic on an ocean liner" genre* goes, there is no title I could recommend more highly than Juggernaut (1974). It is an *awesome, awesome* movie- sharp direction, really compelling and well-done. Other than it Titanic (1953) and A Night to Remember, the quality of the other entries is iffy.

The Last Voyage (1960) has promise and starts off quickly- but the characters aren't interesting or likeable enough for us to care- nice stunt work and special effects though.

There's still a certain "movieness" to that Poseidon Adventure topsy-turvy ballroom scene, but the rest is so grim and overwrought, AND LET'S PLEASE NOT BRING UP THE REMAKE(S).

Never seen Nazi Titanic.

Dante's Inferno (1935) has a GREAT shipboard-disaster finale, but that's not the main focus of the film- it is still an awesome movie and a smashing climax.

Am I missing anything?

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Jun 2, 2013 10:23 PM

About the time "Titanic" came out, Jack Ford (the TV host) told a story about being in line at the theater to see it, and standing near some people who were discussing it. The man said, "You know, the ship doesn't even sink until way into the movie," and a teenage boy near him said, 'THE SHIP SINKS? Well, thanks for spoiling it for us, man!"

I somewhat disagree, James. There are enough survivor accounts to tie together to make compelling watching as a theatrical release that romantic side stories aren't needed. There ARE no longer any of the survivors still alive, of course, but over tha last 100 years, many of these people have been interviewed extensively. It would be no mean trick for a seasoned writer to put all these memoirs in a blow by blow manner. You can get your big names to portray various people, and if the effects are as good as many in Cameron's attempt, it might do OK. I realize today's movie going audience might be a hard sell, seeing as the Titanic wasn't originally a comic book "super hero" or originally some dark character from a "graphic novel"( GAWD, I HATE that silly euphanism!), But I think there's enough level headed folks out there who look for something better than CGI mayhem or drunken, arrested developement stunted buddies in Vegas.

But of course, I COULD be wrong...

Dothery, thanks for the first real laugh of my day! "The boat SINKS?" Too funny!

Sepiatone

> {quote:title=Sepiatone wrote:}{quote}

> I somewhat disagree, James. There are enough survivor accounts to tie together to make compelling watching as a theatrical release that romantic side stories aren't needed.

And I *strongly agree* with that statement.

ps- I don't think they're going to be doing Titanic: Redux any time soon tho'. That vein has been thoroughly tapped (including the recent IMAX, 3-D rerelease to "commemorate" the 100th anniversary.) (Not that I put ANYTHING past HOLLYWOOD these days or ever.)

pss- and by "commemorate" I mean strip one last lode of ore from the very last bearing wall of the gold mine.

psss- The Last Voyage has better remake potential.

pssss- there actually is an animated version of Titanic called Titanic Goes On. It is Italian and came out in 2000. It features a rapping mouse and defies explanation.

seriously:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanic_Animated

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Jun 3, 2013 11:23 AM