Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Towering Inferno

I know that TCM has shown it many times in recent years but is there any chance TCM could get a hold of the 3-hour NBC network cut? There is some 15 minutes of extra footage and those extra 15 minutes only make better an already great film. Interesting that Irwin Allen would use british directors Ronald Neame and John Guillermin for his best screen disaster work. I have the 3-hour version but the motion quality ain't that good but it is watchable and the audio/video sync is good but it would be nice to see the 3-hour version of The Towering Inferno aired by a top line outfit like TCM.

> Has this film been shown on TCM "many times"? Because I honestly don't ever remember it being shown.

I think the OP may be confusing TCM with the Retroplex channel or one of the Encore channels.

*Towering Inferno* has been played on those channels more than a few times the last six months.

But, despite its all-star cast, it is not shown on TCM with any frequency. I can only recall it airing once and that was more than a few years ago.

Question here:

Does anyone know if the estates of McQueen and Newman are still arguing over the billing on this turkey???

(...OR did that whole "Steve's name on the upper-right and Paul's on the lower-left" thing on the titles work to soothe all those big egos once and for all???)

LOL

;)

If I recall correctly, the network showing of "Earthquake" was controversial because the extra footage included was filmed specifically for inclusion to fill out a two night spot. It did not not consist of scenes edited from the theatrical production and was brand spanking new.

"Towering Inferno" on TV had some added scenes that were filmed and edited from the theatrical production. They consisted of extended scenes and a couple of minor subplots featuring some of the "lesser" stars, mainly Jennifer Jones and Fred Astair. During filming, McQueen had insisted that he be given the exact amount of lines as Newman (including the final line) so they were not in any of the added TV footage. I believe most of the restored TV footage scenes are included as extras on the blu ray.

As I recall, most of the expanded EARTHQUAKE! centered on Marjo Gortner. BLECCH!!

My print of TOWERING INFERNO is the expanded Network version and, frankly, I think it plays better at the original theatrical length.

I find it hard to watch this movie now. As a big fan of not only Newman and McQueen but many of the film and TV stars who had smaller roles in it movie I couldn't wait to see it. Walking out afterwards it was not any of them who impressed me most but a college/pro football star who was getting his feet wet in acting and almost stole the picture. He's back in the news over stealing something else, a crime for which he was not aquitted but wants an early out for. I'm saddened by this but certain that others feel likewise.

I find it hard to watch now for that reason as well as it not being that good a movie. Bad script, bad acting. The effects are ok, but once you've seen it...Fred and Jennifer Jones are the only pluses for me (her last film). She makes more of an impression than top billed Faye Dunaway......

> Does anyone know if the estates of McQueen and Newman are still arguing over the billing on this turkey???

I would have given serious consideratoin to billing them as Paul McQueen and Steve Newman.

• Like 1

It did seem spiteful after all she went through to send her out like that. I wouldnt say it was as awful as Earthquake. It was one of the better special effects movies of its time. But the script is typical for the genre. By the numbers...

> {quote:title=obrienmundy wrote:}{quote}What's even worse is that Jennifer Jones' character lived in the book that the character was extracted from! :0

*WHAT???*

Oh, rats! The only reason I can see for the change is so Fred Astaire-boy, was he Oscar robbed-can have that heartbreaking scene at the end with the afore mentioned ballplayer where he gets the lady's cat and realizes she's already come down but not by way of the elevator. Their romance had more realism than anything the younger actors generated.

That's what ticked me off about these Irwin Allen movies. The characters were just chess pieces to move around and get at our emotions then knock them off without rhyme or reason. Yes, life is sometimes like that but he overdid it be it fire, flood upside-down ship or earthquake. Today they all run together in my mind.

Gosh, there is a version of this with extra footage and I haven't seen it?

The Towering Inferno is one of those movies I don't seek out, but if I run across it I'm drawn to watch it...I don't know why, but I just HAVE TO WATCH IT....is it an addiction or an obsession?

I haven't even decided if I like it or not...but by Golly I will watch it.

> {quote:title=darkblue wrote:}{quote}I remember well, thinking - as it was one of the Best Picture Oscar nominees - that it was not a very good movie (considering such praise).

>

> As for the best performance in it, I liked Robert Vaughn's small part a little more than any of the others for some reason.

It was a major box-office blockbuster, and my favorite film of 1974.

>As for the best performance in it, I liked Robert Vaughn's small part a little more than any of the others for some reason.

It's been years since I've seen this movie, Dark, so refresh my memory here if ya would.

Does Vaughn play yet another one of those slimy underhanded types he was noted for playing in his "post-U.N.C.L.E." days?

(...you know, like that slimy DA dude he played in Bullitt ) ;)

> {quote:title=BelleMichele wrote:}{quote}Gosh, there is a version of this with extra footage and I haven't seen it?

>

> The Towering Inferno is one of those movies I don't seek out, but if I run across it I'm drawn to watch it...I don't know why, but I just HAVE TO WATCH IT....is it an addiction or an obsession?

>

> I haven't even decided if I like it or not...but by Golly I will watch it.

Totally agree. but I know how I feel about it, I love it. I originally saw it in theaters during its original run ( I was very young at the time but remember it so vividly; it looked amazing on the big screen and wow it was a loud movie ). I still love it to this day. It may not be the best movie in the world but I'm not afraid to admit I love it. I have a weak spot for the disaster movies of the 70's. Overblown, overwrought, overlong, yup love em.