Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movies you think provide good material for a modern version.

slaytonf

Sometimes while watching a movie, I think, "Hey, somebody could make something of that." They usually are romantic comedies, and not necessarily great films, but ones I have fun watching. The one that comes to mind first is a movie starring Constance Bennett, called Lady With a Past, where she plays a proper, though socially awkward girl, who is the horror of her male acquaintance. Why someone so beautiful, no matter how dull she is, is so avoided by men is beyond me, but surprisingly, Miss Bennett does a fine job pulling it off. On a trip to France, she encounters a popular, but broke gentleman who she employs to make her a queen bee, and what do you know? it works! I've always thought an updated treatment, in the right hands, would do well.

A couple other titles that appeal to me in the same way are a Marion Davies movie, The Patsy, and one starring Corrine Griffith and Charles Ray, called The Garden of Eden.

For a few years now, I have thought that GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER could be updated from miscegenation to a story about a gay couple. It could make salient points about gay marriage in a modern context the way the original did about interracial marriage. At its heart, it is a basic Civil Rights story. I am surprised it hasn't been updated.

Who would play Constance Bennet's role? I cannot think of anyone who would even come close to playing her role!

As far as a remake of sorts, look what happened to the remake of THE WOMEN, a complete disaster, even with an all-star cast !

Sad to say, sometimes it's best to leave the old Classics alone...it reminds me of fake 'luxery goods', as opposed to authentic, they cannot be duplicated , same can be said about Classic Movies, they are 'Authentic'!

Twink

>twinkee:

>look what happened to the remake of THE WOMEN

It isn't great movies of the past that appear to me as fodder for updated treatments. It's rare for a remake of a great film to be any good. But Lady With a Past, as fun as it is to watch, is hardly a great cinematic achievement. In fact, that's what makes it a good candidate. Look at what Blake Edwards did with Victor/Victoria. Look what Mel Brooks did with The Producers. They took not-so-bad, but unexceptional movies, and used the germ of the idea in them for their work.

As for actresses to take the leading role, of course, the worst thing to do would be to try to recreate Constance Bennett's persona. But there are actresses around today who can lend their own quality to the role.

Guess Who's Coming To Dinner was remade with the ethnicities reversed (white man engaged to a black woman) but it didn't do very well and was panned.

I'm stealing this idea from someone who used to post here, but I think Some Like It Hot could be remade and updated.

>Guess Who's Coming To Dinner was remade with the ethnicities reversed (white man engaged to a black woman) but it didn't do very well and was panned.

Yes. I think you are referring to GUESS WHO, with Ashton Kutcher. It was turned into more of a rom-com and lost the impact of the original.

In general, the idea of remakes of classic films makes me nervous...I don't care for them. THE WOMEN is a prime example of why.

Which is why I was appalled at the suggestion by Osborne and Barrymore discussing this week's Essential, about remaking LIBELED LADY. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE (not a JB song), say it won't be so....!!!!

Now I gotta sit down with paper and pen when watching TCM.

I see movies like that all the time, but draw a blank when threads like this pop up.

But I DO like the idea of *Guess Who's Coming To Dinner* redone with a same-sex marriage theme.

Sepiatone

I've always thought the timelessness of the social concept that criminals are bred by the forces of nurture than of nature, would make The Petrified Forest an evergreen theme to explore in film.

However, it seems Bogie's turn as Duke Mantee has apparently been deemed the only version worth doing. Yep, it seems to me that the Mantee character is one which could provide a wealth of alternative and interesting readings for the right actor...and not just for the great Bogart.

Add to this the idea that a counterpoint character such as the world-weary intellectual of Alan Squier is seldom placed in close quarters with such a character as Mantee in many other films, is yet another reason I think this movie could be updated nicely.

And, seeing as how the original film is somewhat stagebound, I believe a good director could "open this up" for a whole new generation of moviegoers if done correctly..

Edited by: Dargo2 on Jun 4, 2013 7:33 PM

Edited by: Dargo2 on Jun 4, 2013 8:14 PM

>Arturo:

> the idea of remakes of classic films makes me nervous

I agree that great films' remakes are almost always bad, and I shudder inwardly when they are suggested. But there are a number of lesser movies, unexceptional, yet still enjoyable to watch, that have in the storyline something which, in the right hands, has potential for a modern treatment.

>Dargo2:

>reply to my suggestion that The Petrified Forest might make for an excellent remake

As you ask, it never occurred to me. But I am open to the possibility. It has a theme of obsoletes canceling themselves out, like Shane and the revisionist westerns of the sixties and seventies. Don't ask me why, but it's romantic comedies that can strike me as having potential for a new take.

> {quote:title=slaytonf wrote:}{quote}

> > Arturo:

> > the idea of remakes of classic films makes me nervous I agree that great films' remakes are almost always bad, and I shudder inwardly when they are suggested. But there are a number of lesser movies, unexceptional, yet still enjoyable to watch, that have in the storyline something which, in the right hands, has potential for a modern treatment.

Oh, remakes, dramatic sigh - I generally don't like to regard any source material (particularly staples - which are often good jumping boards for many interpretations) as sacred cows never to be defiled, but to my mind, the story, style, *something's* got to be outright changed or at least given a new twist. Otherwise, I'm left feeling - what was the point? I remember watching a made-for-TV version of Witness for the Prosecution with Ralph Richardson, Deborah Kerr, Beau Bridges, etc. Billy Wilder was still listed as a writing credit (for his 1957 screenplay), and when it was over, I couldn't help but think I'd have been much better off watching his stellar incarnation for the umpteenth time (to be fair, that movie never gets old for me :) ).

speaking of remakes , TCM showed THE RAINS CAME last night and next WWednesday will show its remake, THE RAINS OF RANCHIPUR (1955),starring Lana Turner on loan to 20th Century Fox as her last Assignment unddr her MGM contract (although DIANE her last movie at the studio, wpuld be filmed before but released after TROR). Also featuring a young Richard Burton, as fhe object of Lana`s affections, a too laid back Fred MacMurray as tbewastrel Tom Ransom , making you wish for George Brent(imagine Errol Flynn in the role; he would`ve been superb IMO), Michael Rennoe as the cuckcolded husband of Lady Esketh, and youthful looking Joan Caulfield in the ingenue role played by ingenue Brenda Joyce in the original.. Interestingly, this role, in the original, Lana Turner had been considered before Fox went with new contractee Brenda Joyce.

I've thought for a long time "...Virginia Woolf?" could use a remake. They soft pedaled the language in the 60s version and Liz was too young for the part. I also had problems with changes they made in the script. It could be updated to today, or filmed as a period piece, but with more verbal fire, shall I say?

Often plays are 'remakes' and this has been going on for centuries and I don't know anyone that views this as negative. In fact if one really likes the play (the source material), they want to see different versions of the play.

I assume the main difference with movies is that, due to multiple viewing, the so called original is just too ingrained in our minds. I got this experience watching the 31 version of The Maltese Falcon (yes, the original but since I had seen the 41 version at least 10 times mentally the 31 version was treated by me as a remake). By 'mentally' I mean that I just couldn't stop comparing the two. This clearly alters the experience.

Unless one is Eve Harrington, one doesn't see the same play multiple times. Thus a new production of a play can be a new experience.

For a remake of a movie to be even close to a new experience the key in my view is the screenplay.

>NoraCharles1934:

>Oh, remakes, dramatic sigh - I generally don't like to regard any source material (particularly staples - which are often good jumping boards for many interpretations) as sacred cows never to be defiled, but to my mind, the story, style, something's got to be outright changed or at least given a new twist. Otherwise, I'm left feeling - what was the point?

I heartily agree. That is why I specifically avoided the term remake in the title of my thread. I am interested in people's ideas of movies that present opportunities for modern takes. The reason I think well known movies aren't good fodder are, in addition to continual comparison as you mentioned, the creative process tends to be dominated by the original.

For a film like Marion Davies The Patsy, for example, I can see the plot set-up of two sisters, one chic, one awkward, adversarial, chasing the same guy set today. Plenty of opportunity for humor and comic situations.