Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
slaytonf

Who is Virginia Vale, and why does she rate a whole day of movies?

Just wondering. Even major stars--I mean, not to say Virginia Vale isn't a major star--even major stars don't always get a whole day of films on their birthday. And this isn't even her birthday. There's a Lee Tracy film I'll record. Here's something from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Vale

and here's a grain of salt.

And a picture doesn't hurt:

Virginia[iVale[/i]inMillionairesinPrison(1940).jpg]

Why not? It's outside-the-box thinking like this that distinguishes this channel from every other movie channel.

Vale (1920-2006) had a brief career as an actress. she was in a few movies when she was in her late teens, and then she won the Jesse Lasky "Gateway to Hollywood" contest in 1939. her reward was a studio contract with RKO for whom she made about a dozen features and several shorts from 1939 to 1941. it appears that her prize winning contract expired in late 1941 and she found work at Poverty Row studio, PRC (Producers Releasing Corporation) where she made three movies in 1941-42. her filmography shows nothing for 1943-44 and one last film in 1945 for PRC. there's no other film credit for her.

however, she then went on to work for the US Figure Skating Assn where she became a big cheese in their activities chiefly as a judge. Vale (born Dorothy Howe) died in 2006.

I'm happy to let her have a day.

I mean, she does have one of the great all-time names -- Vir-JIN-ya VALE!

So stayton, I guess you haven't heard.

TCM is trying out a new approach. They're going to go with a whole new concept and start spotlighting actresses that look like Anna Lee!!!

;)

(...btw...Virginia here...no relation to Jerry, I presume!)

Edited by: Dargo2 on Jun 4, 2013 9:29 AM

*she won the Jesse Lasky "Gateway to Hollywood" contest in 1939. her reward was a studio contract with RKO for whom she made about a dozen features and several shorts from 1939 to 1941.*

Interesting this, as Linda Darnell also won this contest in 1938(?). She had already come to Hollywood, but sent packing by 20th Century Fox when they discovered she was 14 years of age. She corresponded with the original talent scout who had brought her, and when she won this contest, was told by Fox to not sign the RKO contract, or wait for the option to lapse, or somesuch. Obviously, she was soon signed to Fox.

I enjoy the spotlight TCM gives to lesser known luminaries; makes for a nice break from those in heavy rotation.

>Why not? It's outside-the-box thinking like this that distinguishes this channel from every other movie channel.

Agree. I enjoy these RKO B westerns, and Miss Vale is certainly lovely.

> {quote:title=helenbaby wrote:}{quote}Why not? It's outside-the-box thinking like this that distinguishes this channel from every other movie channel.

We need more of this kind of thing, not less.

Who knows, maybe TCM will eventually honor every "Virginia" who ever worked in Hollywood? ;)

There's several formulas they could try.

Like for instance, they could refuse to show any movie with ADOLPH MENJOU during any week with a FRIDAY in it! ;)

By the way...Ms. Vale WAS kinda cute. But to me doesn't LOOK Italian, which might mean she is NO relation to Jerry.

Sepiatone

...or followed up by every movie that has George Brent in it .

Oops!.....wrong thread! ;)

Well, now we know who Virginia Vale was. I'm wondering if anyone saw a movie they liked. I tried recording Milionaires in Prison, but I only got part of it, due to a defective disk. Looks like I didn't miss much.

I want TCM to do a marathon of Noel Francis films (44 listed on IMDb). I think Noel had more of a career then Virginia Vale (any relation to Vicky Vale?)

Sooooo, I take it nobody else but me thinks Virginia Vale looks a lot like Anna Lee, huh?!

Alrighty then, HERE!

Virginia Vale..

Virginia[iVale[/i]inMillionairesinPrison(1940).jpg]

Anna Lee

anna_lee.jpg

(...must I do EVERYTHING for you people around here???!!!)

;)

> D2:

> must I do EVERYTHING for you people around here???!!!

mmmmyep.

But, yes, they do look alike.

Okay slayton ol' buddy, now that we have THIS issue settled, go reply to my suggestion that The Petrified Forest might make for an excellent remake in that thread you started!!! ;)

(...'cause I think it's a good one, and nobody's replied to THAT post o' mine EITHER!!!)

LOL

>.....very different nose Dargo

I think it's just the lighting in that picture of Anna, Twink.

Here's another one of Anna which I think shows her nose to be much like Virginia's...

3490372967_fa345bbc31.jpg

<..must I do EVERTHING for you people around here ???!!! >

...well...since you mentioned it, Yes !....I could use some help with my yard work ! :D

Her head is tillted back, so the long tip of her nose does not show up as it does in the other pic (probably a photographer's trick to show her to her best advantage) ;)

>..well...since you mentioned it, Yes !....I could use some help with my yard work !

LOL

Well, what kinda o' hourly rate do ya give?

(...I mean the wife HAS been droppin' less than subtle hints lately that a little extra income might help the household finances since we've both retired...and I just can't see myself in a red vest and sayin' to everyone walkin' towards me, "Welcome to Walmart!") ;)

LOL.....Oh, I bet you would look cute in a Red Vest, "Welcome to Walmart"

Now if you were a 'Chippandale Dancer" in a red vest , "Welcome To...

(that's another post ) ;)

>Now if you were a 'Chippandale Dancer" in a red vest , "Welcome To...

Now HOW in the world did you know of my gig in the '80s, HUH?!

(...just a lucky guess, RIGHT?!) ;)

LOL