Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anne Baxter...

MissLori79

One of my all time favorites! I stated this in another thread, but I think that she is extremely underrated, and often gets passed over by classic movie fans. TCM as far as I know has NEVER had her as a 'Star of the Month' and has instead devoted months to many, many lesser known classic movie stars (Eleanor Parker? Really?!) I had to vent regarding this.

Anne Baxter is a good choice for SOTM, equally as deserving as any other, as is Eleanor Parker imho. in fact, both ha similar career paths, being important stars for their studios. the reason Parker was more of a no brainer for TCM was because she was under contract to WB and later MGM, whose movies they have access to. Baxter on the other hand spent over a dozen uears at zFox,which while rerecently more forthcoming, still has few of its films on TCM.

I don't have anything against Ms. Parker and in fact own some of her films. But since you pointed out the 20th Century Fox movie rights, I guess it sheds some logical light on why Anne hasn't been selected in all these years. Ms. Baxter did many independant films however that could be featured (Angel on my Shoulder being my fave) and of course they have AAE in their library (her most remembered and best known role).

I used to be pretty obsessed with Anne back in the day! Although I've matured and since moved on she is still my favorite classic actress and still probably her most devoted fan :)

As Arturo explained, the biggest obstacle for an Anne Baxter SOTM tribute is the number of her films that were made during her Fox tenure. All About Eve does fall under that umbrella too, by the way.

If not SOTM, Ms. Baxter would make an excellent SUTS honoree. Certainly a handful of her Fox titles could be padded out to fill the day. She was spotlighted just a week or two ago with several films including The Blue Gardenia and Chase a Crooked Shadow. My favorite performance is her turn as a French chambermaid in a Nazi-occupied Egyptian hotel in Billy Wilder's Five Graves to Cairo - of course the rights to that one *would* belong to Universal! :D

Five%2520Graves%2520to%2520Cairo.jpg

A very lovely lady, to be sure.

Anne%2520Baxter.jpg

Don't quote me, but I think FIVE GRAVES TO CAIRO is in the public domain. If it is not in the public domain, it is one outside their library that they do like showing. It airs at least once a year.

And not to slight Anne Baxter fans (because I am one myself), but I think TCM shows it mainly because it's a Billy Wilder film.

Sad she died so relatively young (think she was around 60?) Ironic she replaced Bette Davis on the Hotel series, then she died shortly after too. I dont think they replaced the character after that....

Here are 10 Anne Baxter movies already shown by TCM that would make a good start for at least a SUTS day. These are only the ones I've recorded since late 2009, and I'm sure that others could add to the list:

*The Blue Gardenia (1953)*

*Bedevilled (1955)*

*All About Eve (1950)*

*I Confess (1953)*

*Homecoming (1958)*

*Jane Austen in Manhattan (1980)*

*Chase a Crooked Shadow (1958)*

*The Magnificent Ambersons (1942)*

*Carnival Story (1954)*

*Angel on My Shoulder (1946)*

I don't think it was mentioned, but last year TCM had Anne`s THE RAZORS EDGE as one of the Essentials, which piof course features her Oscar winning performance. And I think they've shown TWENTY MULE TEAM, her debut film. If Anne gets honored, it would be great if rhey showed 1941`s CHARLEY S AUNT, which hax been scheduled last year, but they showed the 1930 version. And I don't know of I'm confusing with FMC, but ssems that SWAMP WATER, THE SULLIVANS, SUNDAY DIMNER FOR A SOLDIER and A ROYAL SCANDAL have Bebeen on in the last 2~3 years.u

Good point, TB. Yep, in just the few scenes I watched, she definitely steals the show, alright. BUT, then again, I suppose "stealing the show" from the likes of Glenn Ford probably isn't THAT hard to do, HUH?!

(...sorry all you Glenn Ford fans out there, but while I don't necessarily DISlike Glenn, c'mon now, ya GOTTA admit the dude WAS always kinda bland, RIGHT???!!!)

LOL

She and Glenn Ford had previously costarred in 20th Century Fox's FOLLOW THE SUN about a decade earlier. I think he requested Anne for CIMARRON. So she did this role-- a supporting one-- to help a pal.

Although she is singled out for her work in dramatic stories like THE RAZOR'S EDGE and ALL ABOUT EVE, I happen to like her best in westerns. She brings a dignity to these frontier woman that other actresses fail to match.

My favorite Anne Baxter film is YELLOW SKY, a 20th Century Fox western that teams her with Gregory Peck.

I'm a big fan of Anne Baxter. To me she is like George Sanders (who I mention since there was a thread about him recently) in that when they play a secondary character in a movie their performance is often as good as, if not better than, the lead stars. But I haven't seen many movies where Baxter is the lead star since, as you noted, many of those are Fox films that TCM doesn't show.

So the more Anne the better but if TCM did a tribute I hope they would show some movies with her that I haven't seen before on TCM.

A while back my wife and I visited F.L.Wright's Taliesin West in Scottsdale, finance. The docent did make mention of Ms. Baxter's familial ties to the great architect while on our tour, and that the actress would occasionally visit the place to see her uncle.

> {quote:title=AndyM108 wrote:}{quote}Here are 10 Anne Baxter movies already shown by TCM that would make a good start for at least a SUTS day. These are only the ones I've recorded since late 2009, and I'm sure that others could add to the list:

You left out *Three Violent People* rom 1955 where she charms Charlton Heston, Ton Tryon and Gilbert Roland then stands up to Forrest Tucker and Bruce Bennett. I never miss this one but haven't seen it in a while.

> {quote:title=TopBilled wrote:}{quote}Don't quote me, but I think FIVE GRAVES TO CAIRO is in the public domain. If it is not in the public domain, it is one outside their library that they do like showing. It airs at least once a year.

>

> And not to slight Anne Baxter fans (because I am one myself), but I think TCM shows it mainly because it's a Billy Wilder film.

>

No, it was released on DVD as one of those TCM Vault/Universal collaborations (as a double-bill with A Foreign Affair ):

http://shop.tcm.com/directed-by-billy-wilder-dvd/detail.php?p=378231&v=tcm_vault-collection_universal

But you're right that TCM has aired it (and hopefully could again).

Incidentally, Ms. Baxter worked under a really impressive roster of directors. Just offhand I can think of - Jean Renoir, Orson Welles, Wilder, Lewis Milestone, Otto Preminger, Edmund Goulding, William Wellman, Joseph L. Mankiewicz, Jean Negulesco, Alfred Hitchcock, Fritz Lang, Cecil B. DeMillle, Anthony Mann . . . and I'm sure I'm omitting several names.

And having made reference to good old C.B., I now feel obligated to mention what I find to be a terrifically campy and fun Baxter characterization (feel free to disagree :) ) - Nefretiri in The Ten Commandments :

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQBaAwOZOqe9XU5wu_4wxd

*"Oh Moses, Moses, you stubborn, splendid, adorable fool!"*

Oh Nora, "you stubborn, splendid, adorable fool", I loved that picture of Anne as Nefretiri, TOO!!! ;)

(...don't worry, I'll refrain from doin' Eddie G's "Mmm-yeah! Where's your prophet now, SEE?!"...OOPS, sorry...I guess that just kinda slipped out TOO!)

> {quote:title=TopBilled wrote:}{quote}Great photo of Anne Baxter!

>

> I just remembered I have a copy of her autobiography around here somewhere. My grandmother had given it to me. It is called 'Intermission.' I need to look at it again.

She had an interesting life as I recall. She was seriously considered for the lead in Rebecca, and I think she spent a few years with her second husband living on a cattle ranch in Australia! And, of course, the Frank Lloyd Wright connection.

I remember reading something about Anne wanting her grandfather to visit the set during filming of A Royal Scandal, but the liberal Otto Preminger and Tallulah Bankhead (who apparently got along very well) balking at the idea of hosing the conservative (and anti-Semitic) Wright. So during the visit, Preminger ran into a convenient series of "problems" and repeatedly halted production until Wright finally got bored and left! :P

> {quote:title=Dargo2 wrote:}{quote}Oh Nora, "you stubborn, splendid, adorable fool", I loved that picture of Anne as Nefretiri, TOO!!! ;)

>

> (...don't worry, I'll refrain from doin' Eddie G's "Mmm-yeah! Where's your prophet now, SEE?!"...OOPS, sorry...I guess that just kinda slipped out TOO!)

>

:D Yeah, I know this one's never showing up on TCM, but Anne does look great. I always find it hilarious though, when she's trying to seduce Moses after his marriage, and says something like, "How can you resist my smooth skin and silky hair for some callused sheep herder?" Yeah - what man could *+possibly*+ be attracted to Yvonne De Carlo! :^0

Yvonne_De_Carlo_in_The_Ten_Commandments_

And wait just a minute - I thought the quote from Dathan was, "Mother of Mercy - is this the end of Moses?"

Oh boy, I'd better leave the levity to you, Dargo! ;)

Edited by: NoraCharles1934 on Jun 8, 2013 7:54 PM

FYI - Tomorrow, June 11 in the morning hours, Fox Movie Channel will show two Anne Baxter movies.

6:00 am EST, 3 AM PST:

SWAMP WATER

Jean Renoir's first American film focuses on an innocent fugitive (Brennan) who lives alone in the marshland... until a hunter (Andrews) finds him and tries to clear his name.

*Cast:* Anne Baxter, Walter Huston, Walter Brennan, Dana Andrews, Virginia Gilmore

*Director:* Jean Renoir

9:30 am EST, 6:30 AM PST:

FOLLOW THE SUN

Golf champion Ben Hogan (Ford) fights to walk again after an accident.

*Cast:* Anne Baxter, Glenn Ford, Larry Keating, Sam Snead

*Director:* Sidney Lanfield

• 2 weeks later...

Anne Baxter in her first starring role, on Fox Movie Channel....

SATURDAY, JUNE 22:

4:28 am EST, 1:28 AM PST:

SWAMP WATER

Jean Renoir's first American film focuses on an innocent fugitive (Brennan) who lives alone in the marshland... until a hunter (Andrews) finds him and tries to clear his name.

*Cast:* Anne Baxter, Walter Huston, Walter Brennan, Dana Andrews, Virginia Gilmore

*Director:* Jean Renoir