Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Writers Guild of America selects 101 best-written TV series

filmlover

Not movie-related but still of interest:

Here is the complete list of the 101 best shows as selected by an online poll of writers of film and TV.

1. The Sopranos

2. Seinfeld

3. The Twilight Zone

4. All in the Family

5. M*A*S*H

6. The Mary Tyler Moore Show

7. Mad Men

8. Cheers

9. The Wire

10. The West Wing

11. The Simpsons

12. I Love Lucy

13. Breaking Bad

14. The Dick Van Dyke Show

15. Hill Street Blues

16. Arrested Development

17. The Daily Show with Jon Stewart

18. Six Feet Under

19. Taxi

20. The Larry Sanders Show

21. 30 Rock

22. Friday Night Lights

23. Frasier

24. Friends

25. Saturday Night Live

26. The X-Files

27. Lost

28. ER

29. The Cosby Show

30. Curb Your Enthusiasm

31. The Honeymooners

32. Deadwood

33. Star Trek

34. Modern Family

35. Twin Peaks

36. NYPD Blue

37. The Carol Burnett Show

38. Battlestar Galactica (2005)

39. Sex & The City

40. Game of Thrones

41. The Bob Newhart Show and Your Show of Shows (tie)

43. Downton Abbey, Law & Order and Thirtysomething (tie)

46. Homicide: Life on the Street and St. Elsewhere (tie)

48. Homeland

49. Buffy the Vampire Slayer

50. The Colbert Report, The Good Wife and the UK Office (tie)

53. Northern Exposure

54. The Wonder Years

55. L.A. Law

56. Sesame Street

57. Columbo

58. Fawlty Towers and The Rockford Files (tie)

60. Freaks and Geeks and Moonlighting (tie)

62. Roots

63. Everybody Loves Raymond and South Park (tie)

65. Playhouse 90

66. Dexter and the US Office (tie)

68. My So-Called Life

69. Golden Girls

70. The Andy Griffith Show

71. 24, Roseanne and The Shield

74. House and Murphy Brown (tie)

76. Barney Miller and I, Claudius (tie)

78. The Odd Couple

79. Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Monty Python’s Flying Circus, Star Trek: The Next Generation and Upstairs, Downstairs (tie)

83. Get Smart

84. The Defenders and Gunsmoke (tie)

86. Justified, Sgt. Bilko/The Phil Silvers Show (tie)

88. Band of Brothers

89. Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In

90. The Prisoner

91. Absolutely Fabulous and The Muppet Show (tie)

93. Boardwalk Empire

94. Will & Grace

95. Family Ties

96. Lonesome Dove and Soap

98. The Fugitive, Late Night with David Letterman and Louie

101. Oz

the composition of the list works out like most lists i see with the highest rated being mostly recent stuff (1990-current), then some 1970-90 shows, and then a few things before 1970 if people have very long memories (and if they're still alive.)

glad to see The Defenders (1961-65) and Playhouse 90 (1956-60) on the list (must have been so good they couldn't be ignored). in the pre-1970 days, where's Studio One, Dick Powell Theater, even Ernie Kovacs? (oh, what'd you say? "i don't think i've heard of them".)

i take these kinds of lists with much salt.

I think everyone will have issues with this list-disagreeing with some of the shows on the list and some of the shows not on the list.

At first glance my thought was that this list should be made of shows that have/can/will stand the test of time. Face it, some shows that were wildly popular and/or enjoyable when they originally aired just don't 'age' well...what was once fresh, topical and/or original now seems cliched or clumsy.

I think what they were trying for with this list is shows that made a statement, broke new ground or took chances and changed the way we view television and how shows would be written in the future.

I agree that the list leans too heavily on the more recent shows.

Does the 'ranking' mean anything?

Unless I've somehow missed it on this list...

WHAT?! No love for "The Big Bang Theory"????

(...c'mon now...just the stuff ALONE that comes out of Jim Parsons' mouth as the character Sheldon, should've placed THIS show around 20th on this seemingly random and haphazard list!!!)

Hey Fly! I just GOTTA ask here...

Have you been hangin' around Jake a lot lately????

(...and IF ya have, how's the weather been there in "The Heartland" recently?..I hear it's not so good...a lot of those twisters I hear!!!)

Edited by: Dargo2 on Jun 4, 2013 9:38 AM

This list makes me very sad because I do not recognize nearly half of the titles.

I have a mental wobble with: 60 Freaks and Geeks and Moonlighting (tie).

The numbering indicates that the three nouns comprise two titles. I will assume that one television show was Freaks and Geeks and the other was Moonlighting but I believe there was a movie titled: Freaks and it is reasonable to assume a television show could have been based on it so that means to me that one television show might have been named: Freaks and the other was named: Geeks and Moonlighting It is so confusing!

Personally I think this list is a travesty. There is no way that Monty Python's Flying Circus does not reach the top ten. Only as good as Star Trek: the Next Generation and 46 places below the original series? That can't be justified. It's as if someone asked "Are we including British series?" and was answered "Oh, just scatter some in the bottom sixty." Not having Doctor Who is also a travesty.

I would agree that Dr. Sheldon Cooper is amusing, but no more so than Edmund Blackadder, Arnold J. Rimmer, Daniel R. Fielding, Bender Bending Rodriguez, Barney Stinson or Brian Hackett,

Well Sans, just a guess here, BUT I'm thinkin' MAYBE the reason you're not familiar with most of those '70s and '80s American TV shows might be that at THAT time you were probably watchin' programs like "Chess with Boris Spassky" there in Odessa! ;)

(...and of course, I AIN'T talkin' "Odessa TEXAS" here, lady!)

Edited by: Dargo2 on Jun 4, 2013 12:40 PM

Yeah, I suppose so, Fly. Yep, stereotyping people by their regional locations doesn't always run true-to-form, huh.

(...I mean take YOU for instance...I have to admit that I have YET to see YOU say to ANYBODY around here somethin' like: "Know what'm talkin' 'bout here?!") ;)

> {quote:title=Dargo2 wrote:}{quote}

> I'm thinkin' MAYBE the reason you're not familiar with most of those '70s and '80s American TV shows might be that at THAT time you were probably watchin' programs like "Chess with Boris Spassky"

I watched many British and American television shows at that time as there were in several places a television tuned always to BBC or CBS. I have made also a great effort to learn the culture in the nearly five years in which I have been here. I do many crosswords to improve my vocabulary and each and every time there is a reference I do not understand then I research it and by this have watched many television episodes and clips.

I believe your view of foreign television is skewed. There were many instructional programs but great amounts of fiction also. The fiction was not bridled by Western views of morality.

> {quote:title=karlofffan wrote:}{quote}

> Fawlty Towers is rated above Monty Python's Flying Circus? I've never heard anyone say they preferred the former over the latter.

I believe the ranking here may be explained that it is writers making the selection and the majority of Monty Python was only thinly scripted and relied heavily on the fact that the performers were entertaining to watch because they were all total loons.

> {quote:title=Dargo2 wrote:}{quote}AAH! Then YOU must be up there in the UPPER Midwest, HUH?!

>

> Yep, Al Roker HAS been sayin' lately that Milwaukee has been a veritable paradise!

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Yep, good ol' MAH-WAW-KEY. I was staying at the Hotel Central downtown there, ya see, having one of them tasty bratwurst, when I saw Richard Hoff, Curly's his nickname, stroll through the lobby. Yep, the one and only, Richard Hoff, Hotel Central, Milwaukee. I think he was with some electrician, who was turning the lights on and off. ;)

Warning ! Warning ! This does not compute. My tapes are malfunctioning.

I'd have to agree with FlyBack, just no love for the salt of the earth type shows. Where's *Lost In Space, Petticoat Junction, Green Acres, and Beverly Hillbillies* on this list?

Too much elitist Hollywood stuff ;)

Edited by: heuriger on Jun 5, 2013 5:28 AM