Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What is a good classic movie to watch on a first date? Please help!

First off I don't know if this post is appropriate for this part of the message boards but I'll post either way. By the way I hope not to bore whoever reads this but I do hope you can give me some advice.

So this past college semester I met this pretty awesome girl, pretty both as an individual and physically ;) . I am 22 years old and she is 24. For the whole semester we didn't talk much until a friend of hers told me that she actually had a crush on me. Anyway, after getting to know her I was shocked and amazed to find out she too was a huge fan of classic movies, not only that but she loves the fashion from the 1940's, the music, again...I was shocked! :) It really isn't everyday I meet someone around my age like this, and being a lover myself of some many things from the past its not really something I broadcast to the world because they end up thinking I'm weird.

Basically though I plan on watching a movie (a classic movie) with her soon for our "first date" but I am debating what movie to choose, what would you recommend? Any help would be great!

{font:arial, helvetica, sans-serif}I think two of the sexiest (fully-clothed {font};){font:arial, helvetica, sans-serif} ) sequences in cinema feature the delightful Jean Arthur -{font}

{font:arial, helvetica, sans-serif}Jean and Joel McCrea, over-crowded WWII-era DC, and a porch in George Stevens's {font}The More the Merrier{font:arial, helvetica, sans-serif}:{font}

Jean and John Lund, post-war Berlin, cabinets, and a hopelessly futile filibuster in Billy Wilder's A Foreign Affair:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=QY1BV80lt1o#t=3194s

Note - I couldn't find just this particular scene on youtube, but the link above is cued to the right place in the movie. Pardon the German subtitles. :)

Of course, I'm guilty of jumping to gender-stereotypes here. Maybe your gal is a Western or noir type.

Before choosing, I would try to get a few more specifics, i.e. who are her favorite artists from that period, what genres is she partial to, which movies does she have a desire to see, whether for the first time or not.

> {quote:title=jamescagneyfan wrote:}{quote}

>

> So this past college semester I met this pretty awesome girl, pretty both as an individual and physically ;) . I am 22 years old and she is 24. For the whole semester we didn't talk much until a friend of hers told me that she actually had a crush on me. Anyway, after getting to know her I was shocked and amazed to find out she too was a huge fan of classic movies, not only that but she loves the fashion from the 1940's, the music, again...I was shocked! :) It really isn't everyday I meet someone around my age like this, and being a lover myself of some many things from the past its not really something I broadcast to the world because they end up thinking I'm weird.

>

>

>

>

>

> Basically though I plan on watching a movie (a classic movie) with her soon for our "first date" but I am debating what movie to choose, what would you recommend? Any help would be great!

>

If she loves fashion / glamor / atmosphere and the music, you couldn't possibly go wrong with Laura. The soundtrack from that film will become "your" song, and you can't get more glamorous than Gene Tierney's Laura Hunt character.

The Lady Eve, My Life With Caroline, I Married A Witch, The Palm Beach Story, Heaven Can Wait, Laura and Christmas In Connecticut show a variety of 1940s fashions.

I would strongly recommend a romantic comedy for a first date.

I would strongly recommend against a movie in which the leading man is superiorly suave and incredibly handsome and very macho because any mortal man will suffer by comparison.

My most memorable first date was to a showing of: How to Steal a Million. That I remember that date so very well after more than forty years speaks strongly to its effect.

I vote with Preston Sturges. Palm Beach Story or The Lady Eve. If she loves the classics from the forties she may know all about the usual suspects, and Preston Sturges maybe one she's not familiar with.

Another one with strong 40's feel is Ball of Fire. That's another good one.

It seems to me that with a first date movie, you want to be careful. You don't want anything too sexy (awkward), too long (takes up too much dating time) or too dramatic (don't know each other well enough yet.)

I say, you can't go wrong with Hitchcock, especially during his "golden" period. Twinkee suggested *Strangers on a Train*, a great selection. But other good Hitch choices would be *Notorious* , *Rebecca*, or maybe *Spellbound*.

Hitch is good for a first date movie experience because you can count on his films to be exciting, romantic (but not too romantic !), fun, and have lots to talk about afterwards, which is always a nice post-movie time for a first date.

Also, something both funny and noir, with a star who's still famous even today, *The Big Sleep*.

Don't forget, maybe this girl who loves old movies has already seen some of these suggestions (not that that would be a problem, necessarily.) Why not ask her what and who she likes?

So, since all these classic films are not exactly running in movie theatres these days, were you planning to use Netflix, or maybe a DVD? Invite her over for pizza, popcorn, and pre-code? (I don't know what that means, I just like the alliteration of all the "p's". ; )

haha.. I also saw Twink mentioned Pretty Woman, which would be one of the potentially most awkward choices out there, unless you hoping for something entirely different than a growing romantic attachment. Oh, I see, Twinkeee is being funny. All the choices pretty awkward. Next I suppose we will see from Twink or finance - Knocked Up.

I just thought if she's interested in the period, fashion and music-- *Orchestra Wives* really supplies both. With a fun light story to boot.

h5. You know, we are very much concerned and loving Uncles and Aunts here. We expect a you to tell us what you decided on and how it was received.

Edited by: casablancalover2 on Jun 7, 2013 9:42 AM

But was Twinkee joking about *Strangers on a Train* ? I think that would be a great choice. It's quite a fun movie, and not as well-known as some of Hitchcock's other works.

finance, now that I think about it, I was using the term "pre-code" for that other, more obvious word you used.

I don't want to make our new friend here feel embarrassed. I was just sort of kidding, because pre-code movies are kind of sexy. But I wasn't suggesting he act out what he sees on the screen !

*Orchestra Wives* is a good choice if it's the fashions AND the music from the '40's she likes. That makes me assume it's the women's fashions she likes, so any of the *Stage Door Canteen* movies would work, too. *The Clock* is a good one for fashion AND romance, if that's her kind of thing.

But I'd follow the advice of an earlier poster, and try to feel her out( OUT! I said, OUT!) as to what she might have already seen, or what she might LIKE to see, before proceeding further.

Best of luck, and remember...

WE WANT DETAILS!! ;)

Sepiatone

I think your suggestions of CASABLANCA and ROMAN HOLIDAY are the best suggestions so far, especially if not much is known about the likes and dislikes of the young lady in question. These films can't offend anyone, and they are both very likeable and are pretty much timeless and for all audiences.

These films could also open up a discussion about "What other films do you like? What types of films do you like?"