Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Esther Williams Dead at 91

Guest dredagain

Esther Williams was a STAR! she took her talents and capitalized on them, and was able to become a household name and success. She was also a very kind person, and was able to translate her post Hollywood success into becoming a entrepreneur and amazing business woman. She def. deserves appreciation and respect for the body of work she has.

I was watching *That's Entertainment! III* the other night and just marveling anew at the beauty of the Esther Williams' numbers and, of course, the beauty of Esther herself! I first noticed her many years ago in *A Guy Named Joe* and have been a fan since. RIP Esther. :(

What will get bumped?

I am sure TCM will pre-empt some previously scheduled programming and air a 24-hour memorial tribute for her soon. They won't wait on this one, especially since she was a friend of the Channel and most of her titles are in the Turner Library.

>TCM just showed..'TCM Remembers Esther Williams'..

Yes, I know. I just saw it before SCREAMING EAGLES. It really is a beautiful little tribute. She was one of my late grandmother's favorite actresses from the 1940s.

One summer my grandmother took us to Florida. We spent many hours lounging by the hotel pool, and every time my sister would dive into the water, my grand would proudly turn and say: 'She's a young Esther Williams.' Of course, my sister and I did not know who Esther Williams was at that time!

Finance,

I am not making fun of her. I'm an Esther Williams fan, just like my grandmother was.

My comment was not about whether Miss Williams deserves the tribute, but speculation about which day or evening of programming will get pre-empted. I hope it's on the weekend when more people will be home to watch and enjoy the films.

TobBilled;

The shots TCM showed of Esther in "Remembers" were just Amazing and stunning ! It just makes me even more anxious to see her movies as I have seen so few of them.

Your Grandmother was a very wise woman to have recognized such great talent in Esther Williams! :)

Twink

Thank you. I think my grandmother was very wise, indeed!

I wouldn't mind it if someday they issued a disc of all these TCM Remembers segments. I think they are usually well done, and it would be nice to have them all available as part of one collection. I suppose some of them may be on YouTube...unless they get taken down.

Oddly enough when the first THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT came out she sued MGM for using clips from her films and was one of the few stars that did not attend the gala premiere of the film. Her segment (along with the Eleanor Powell segment) was one of the most outstanding of the bunch. She later came to realize the film did so much to introduce her to a whole new audience and kind of resurrected her stardom in Hollywood.

Edited by: Edgecliff on Jun 6, 2013 7:26 PM

Wow. I'm surprised they are devoting a whole day for her. I've known bigger stars who only got an evening of 4 films. (and some who didnt even get anything like Teresa Wright) Odd, the coverage TCM doles out. (nothing against Esther). I'll probably tune in and watch one of the prime time offerings...

Well, I'm not making fun of her either, but it did surprise me that they could find so many movies to make around her swimming. I know not ALL of her movies were about that, but you gotta admit, they did find several clever ways to feature it. So many of those swimming sequences were so "same-old, same-old" that I usually went wandering around the kitchen or took opportunity for a bathroom break when they came on, but the stories around them were still interesting enough to watch most of them. Plus it didn't hurt that she was way easy on the eyes. She probably did a lot to promote swimming in American culture, which doesn't hurt either. Good for physical fitness and all.

Seeing as I thought she was already dead, the news of her passing surprised me, too. I never did consider her a favorite of mine, but I didn't really dislike her. And though I also never thought her movies were great, none of the ones I saw were stinkers, so there's nothing bad I can really say about them. Putting out her own swimsuit line seemed a natural for her, and I understand it did quite well.

Rest in peace, Ms. Williams.

Sepiatone

I figured this would be the case, that they would give her a full-day tribute. About 90% of her films are available to them, and she's a big name. She was just SOTM maybe two or three years ago.

This is the first memorial tribute in 2013. There were several last year. Ernest Borgnine and Andy Griffith's 24-hour tributes come to mind.

So many of those swimming sequences were "same-old, same-old."

It's the swimming sequences that were the most appealing and ejoyable to watch ! She certainly was very gifted. We have not seen anything like it since her movies and probably never will.