Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any Huge Cagney Fans here?

crazyblonde7

I Love James Cagney! There should be a museum here in NYC dedicated to this man! He was a Great actor, dancer, artist and most of all a great human being! I met him in 1981 at World Series game. I only wish I would have said more than "Hello Jim!" to him. I was 17 and a bit shy. Anyway, I hope TCM has a Cagney marathon planned for his birthday in July. If your a Cagney Fan- I would love to get a post from you here. Thanks!

I'm a huge Cagney fans and you will find a lot of Cagney fans at this site. I'm not sure if TCM will have a tribute to Cagney on his birthday. Note that if TCM was to have a tribute to actors based on their birthday this theme would dominate the programming. Thus TCM often only has a special birthday tribute e.g. someone born 100 years ago.

Anyhow, TCM shows a lot of Cagney since they show a lot of Warner Brother movies. But TCM also shows many of Cagney's post WB movies as well.

Another Cagney fan checking in. My dad was a huge Cagney fan and he got me hooked on James Cagney when I was young. My father was not the type to write fan letters to anyone but he did write a lovely letter to Cagney in the late 70's or very early 80's ( can't remember the exact time frame). In return he received a postcard ( the front was a reproduction of a picture Cagney had painted ), with a lovely note and his autograph. Although my dad passed away a few years ago, my mom still has the postcard and cherishes it, remembering how thrilled my dad was to receive a response from his idol.

I am also a fan of Cagney's. I love how he could play a tough gangster in one movie and then turn around and be a song and dance man in another. I love his voice. White Heat, Angels with dirty faces, Public enemy, Man of a thousand faces and Yankee doodle dandy are top on my list of his.

He is, hands down, my favorite actor of all time. He could do everything better than anyone ever. Well, I guess I'm exaggerating a tiny bit, since he wasn't really a guy who could do period films or western, or at least not as effective. But he was cute and was a very graceful man. Love him.

No, maybe minder is a better word than bodyguard. It was at the National Board of Review Awards ceremony that year. Cagney had come out of retirement to do Ragtime. The Board gave him its Lifetime Achievement Award. I had to get him to the right place and protect him from the paparazzi. At the end of the event, they were really badgering him. Lauren Bacall shouted at them, "Why don't you leave him alone, he's an old man." I also helped Myrna Loy put her boots on that night, but that's another story. I have a photo of myself with Cagney and Mona Washbourne, who also received an award that icy cold January night in 1982.

I am a new Cagney fan but he is sure wonderful to watch. I really like one of his movies called "Something to Sing About" (1937.) He really shines in that movie. It is nice to watch a movie of his that shows of his other talents like singing and dancing. It was weird when I first watch him in "the West Point Story" (1950.) I was use to watching him pistol whip someone in lets say "Angels with Dirty Faces" (1938.) He was a universal actor. I also loved watching him play a "good" guy in "Great Guy" (1936.)

I also have a Cagney story (but not as cool as yours), related to Ragtime. Back in the 80's I was a programmer in charge of a data entry program for medical bills. Well someone came to me saying there was a bug in how the program derived the age of the claimant. The program derived a negative age! I told them it was a data entry mistake because the person entered '99' as the date of birth. Well they showed me that bill. It was for Cagney. He got injured on the set of Ragtime and this was his medical bill. Now the others didn't know who he was but I did. I really wanted to make a copy but since it was a medical bill it was against company and fed policy to do so.

But I would query the database to find others; e.g. Bing Crosby when he fell off stage, Jane Fonda hurting her ankle during the making of The China Syndrome, Vic Morrow, etc..

Wow! Thanks to all for the Great Cagney stories! Here is mine.Picture it- World Series Game 1981 at Yankees Stadium. My brother came home from the first game bragging about sitting a few feet away from James Cagney. I begged him to take me instead of a friend to the next game hoping that Cagney would show up again. I went and didn't spot Cagney till the game started. He waved to the crowd and to me and my brother. The crowd started singing YANKEE DOODLE DANDY and Cagney cried. When things calmed down my brother and I walked by him and exchanged Hellos. I was 17 and shy. I wish I would have said more to him. What an emotional night! I don't remember the game but I remember James Cagney!

I've been Cody Jarrett nuts about Jimmy Cagney most of my life, having seen all the films he made, many of them numerous times.

Years ago I wrote Cagney a fan letter and was thrilled when he sent me a gracious reply:

Mar 21, 1969

A "thank you" to you for your kind note. We did the jobs as well as we knew how thru the early years. Sometimes the results paid off, others --------? That you found them to your liking made the effort worthwhile.

All good wishes and thanks again for writing.

Sincerely,

James Cagney

That note remains, of course, one of my most treasured documents. Cagney's return address at the time was 2069 Coldwater Canyon Dr., Beverly Hills and, yes, I also still have the hand written envelope in which he placed his note.

The better question would be: Is there anyone here who's NOT a huge Cagney fan?

I know he sometimes gets typecast as a gangster and a song-and-dance man, but when you see what he brought to films like These Wilder Years and Man of a Thousand faces, you realize that he was an actor who transcends mere genres.

• 2 months later...