Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sci-Fi classic that surpasses Forbidden Planet

It predates Forbidden Planet by a year too. I refer of course to William Alland and Universal-International's *This Island Earth* which TCM never shows. The visuals are better and so is the technicolor. TIE's hues are much more vibrant. Watching Forbidden Planet so many times on TCM it seems to me that FP's colors are slightly off especially in the Morbius residence. Too many pinks and off-blues. FP's electron reds and blues should be much more vibrant espicially during the nite time id attack at the camp..That's what m-g-m gets for moochin' off Disney. :D Even the interocitor's neutrino rays are more fun than FP's electron slabs. FP's greens are off color too. Like a very pale avocado. Hey, I'm no technicolor expert but even a layman like myself can tell when technicolor hues should be much more vibrant.

I feel the color is better on *This Island Earth* (1955) but the story is *Forbidden Planet* (1956) in much more literate and thought-provoking. This Island Earth is a retread BEM movie.

*Ikarie XB 1* (1963) is Black&White but I believe it is superior in many ways to either of those as it is more technically correct and it explores diverse topics. It can be watched at:

http://archive.org/details/IkarieXb1Eng.sub

They are both sci-fi movie classics but I think "Forbidden Planet" has aged better than "This Island Earth". "Forbidden Planet" has a more literate script and even with pulp sci-fi trapping it's more thought provoking film with some still timeless concepts. " This Island Earth" is a lot of fun with cool gadgets and monsters.

I think that *The Day the Earth Stood Still* is the best film of the lot, by far. It is on a higher level than the others. *Forbidden Planet* wants too much to be highbrow. *TDtEST* is a much more topical,direct, pertinent, and personal a film. But, *TIE* is still lots of fun.

It's been so long since I seen TIE that I really don't remember much about it. Likely so long that the last time was probably on my folk's old black and white Philco. So I can't say much about the "vibrant" colors you mention. As far as FP goes, I learned that at least for me, watching it only once every blue moon works best, as that early Theremin driven electronic score gets annoying real quick.

But I also have to go with TDtESS as about the best of the lot. In spite of it's glaring logic flaws, it deals with the shortcomings of Earth's human population succinctly, and poses a point of view from a distant civilization. AND, I might add, a clever retelling of the New Testament.

Sepiatone PS: I also think "Mad, Mad World" is funny as hell.

The thing that irked me about MST3K was that back in the late '60's, me and my buddies got THROWN OUT of the local movie house for doing the SAME THING! NEVER entertained the thought of turning it into a TV show.

( Cue the "V-8 head slap"!)

Sepiatone

I saw that once and for the first time on a local station years ago and I wondered why it had never been shown before in these parts. Only Brian Donlevy's 2nd outing as Bernard Quatermass. I think it has Soylent Green beat. :^0

> {quote:title=darkblue wrote:}{quote}My own nomination for the best sci-fi movie of the 1950's is Val Guest's less-grand 1957 film 'Enemy from Space' (in Britain its title was Quatermass 2).

>

> Very effective, very chilling.

I should probably let Fly answer this, dark, but earlier I also wondered why he'd bring that Heston flick into this. And so, never having watched the movie "Enemy from Space", I looked it up at the IMDb website, and the scenario of that film says that in the plot there's some kinda trouble in River City...err...sorry, I mean at some futuristic "synthetic food factory".

And so that's probably what he was alluding to.

Aah, okay. I've just now returned from that IMDb page, and I think I now know where MY confusion lie..lay..or IS it "lie"? ;)

Here's what it says over there:

Professor Quatermass, trying to gather support for Moon colonisation his project to colonize the Moon, is intrigued by the mysterious traces that have been showing up on his radar - meteorites crashing down?. Following them to the place where they should be landing he finds a destroyed village, a mysterious factory too close to his designs for the Moon colony for comfort, and some strange, aerodynamic objects containing a mysterious, ammonia-based gas that infects one of his assistants. Officially, the factory is producing synthetic food; but despite the veil of secrecy surrounding it Quatermass succeeds in finding out it harbours aliens with deadly designs on the Earth... Second in Hammer Films' trio of screen versions for Nigel Kneale's classic 1950s BBC Serials.

And so, it appears I mis-read the part up there that I put in bold letters.

Sorry.

(...hopefully Fly will now return to this thread and explain why he said what he said)