Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Kapo (1960)


GreatMoviesFan

Recommended Posts

> {quote:title=GreatMoviesFan wrote:}{quote}Did anybody catch this on the Sunday night import last night? I don't know how many years it's been since they last showed this movie, but I finally managed to get it recorded!

I tried to start a thread about Kapo early yesterday and got all of one response. I get the strong feeling here that most American moviegoers like the John Wayne and John Garfield versions of World War 2, and that a brutally honest film like Kapo is a bit too much for most of them to digest. We all love our nice happy endings where the Good Guys always win.

 

I think it was last shown here between 2006 and 2008. I know it was before I got my DVD recorder in late 2009, because at the time it was shown I was cursing the fact that a movie as great as this wasn't yet available on home video. I broke down and bought it when it finally got released, but I was thrilled to get a backup copy last night.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well Andy, here's one Yank who not only likes a few John Wayne films and most Garfield movies, though of course not all of his have that "happy ending" you're talkin' about here, but yeah, I caught Kapo last night for the first time ever and thought it was excellently directed by Gillo Pontecorvo, and featured some outstanding acting in almost every role, along with cinematography which effectively captures some of the most horrific times in Western "Civilization".

 

Yep, I watched it, and yep, I'm glad I did. I think it should be required viewing for every single person on this planet.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe it is a good movie.

 

I did not reply in AndyM's thread because I do not share the same enthusiasm for the movie and it did not impress me as greatly and so any comment I may have made would have diluted the thread's desired effect.

 

I can not point to a single and overriding flaw. It simply did not impress me greatly.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}I recorded it, but haven't watched it yet. Given that he directed *The Battle of Algiers*, I have high expectations.

Both of those Pontecorvo movies, but especially Kapo, show the protagonists in morally ambiguous situations. I won't say anything more than that, but this isn't your grandfather's war movie.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeap, a very impressive film. However, a very uncomfortable subject. But still, it is a very tragic episode of WW2 that TCM should air during primetime. Not simply because it is a good reflection of what happened to those poor people at the hands of the Nazi's but because it's important for everyone to be aware of those events.

 

Susan Strasberg was excellent as the lead in the picture as the young Jewish girl. Being shot in black and white helps to transmits effectively the hardness of the concentration camp and the bleak horror that these prisoners suffered in. The supporting cast all added sold performances. But the direction and script were superior and surely at the academy award level.

 

A few more films that deal with the Nazi concentration camps would be, "The Gray Zone", "The Truce", "Schindler's List", "Passenger" and "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas".

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Your mistake, Andy, is in thinking because no one responded to your KAPO thread, they must prefer old fashioned, John Wayne type war movies. Here's a flash for ya...

 

 

A lot of people DON'T like war movies AT ALL!

 

 

Possibly many who HAVE seen it weren't impressed by it, as one poster admitted. Another reason is that some people (like ME) can't take the way some foreign film makers construct their movies. Not having SEEN it, I really can't say much about this either way.

 

 

I feel it's unfair for you to make derogatory remarks about board members tastes simply because they didn't jump on your bandwagon. That's all I'll comment on this. I don't want Infinite1 to reply with some 12 paragraph post and get it locked down.

 

 

Sepiatone

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Most people didnt comment probably because they were asleep or werent aware it was on (it was on in the early morning hrs on the east coast) I wanted to record it, but as usual, my dvr was full. I did see part of it when TCM showed it in the past, but not enough to judge it.......I hope that TCM will show it again and NOT at some ungodly hour........I seem to remember the last time it was on overnight also.....

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=Sepiatone wrote:}{quote}

> Your mistake, Andy, is in thinking because no one responded to your KAPO thread, they must prefer old fashioned, John Wayne type war movies. Here's a flash for ya...

>

> A lot of people DON'T like war movies AT ALL!

>

>

>

>

>

> Possibly many who HAVE seen it weren't impressed by it, as one poster admitted. Another reason is that some people (like ME) can't take the way some foreign film makers construct their movies. Not having SEEN it, I really can't say much about this either way.

>

>

>

>

>

> I feel it's unfair for you to make derogatory remarks about board members tastes simply because they didn't jump on your bandwagon. That's all I'll comment on this. I don't want Infinite1 to reply with some 12 paragraph post and get it locked down.

>

>

>

>

>

> Sepiatone

>

Some people don't like war movies, some people don't like certain types of war movies, some people don't like noir, some people don't like musicals, some people can't stand beach movies or Elvis movies, and some people don't like foreign films or silents.

 

This is life in the Big City, and I'm sure that my refusal to watch Annette or Elvis is no more defensible than others' aversion to movies with a bit more relation to real life. We like what we like, and I was merely expressing my personal opinion.

 

And BTW I'm not a fan of Jacques Tati, so it's not as if I think all foreign films are necessarily all that great. But as a class, I do think that foreign war films are far superior to the Hollywood brand, probably because foreign countries have had much more direct experience with war on their own soil in the past century.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=J}{quote}

> A few more films that deal with the Nazi concentration camps would be, "The Gray Zone", "The Truce", "Schindler's List", "Passenger" and "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas".

and *Escape From Sobibor*...but it's for TV. Terrific performances by all including Alan Arkin, Rutger Hauer and Joanna Pacula. As powerful imo as Schindler's List and then some. I saw the first airing on CBS back in 1986. It can be found on yt.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish first to correct a misrepresentation: I was impressed with *Kapo* (1960) but as I clearly stated I was not greatly impressed with it. I believe the distinction is definitive.

 

> {quote:title=AndyM108 wrote:}{quote}

> But as a class, I do think that foreign war films are far superior to the Hollywood brand, probably because foreign countries have had much more direct experience with war on their own soil in the past century.

 

I like many Western movies of WWII but I do feel as you do that the movies of other countries are many times superior. I believe the reason is exactly as you state: the war was up-close-and-personal and not a thing done by a few soldiers sent far away.

 

I do not know if it will be repeated but Mosfilm has in the past created playlists on YouTube of their movies set during that time for special presentation on Victory Day. You may find some of them very captivating.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Don't get your hackles(whatever THOSE are) up, Andy. We're ALL expressing our personal opinions here. How we respond to them is what makes the difference. If I put forth the effort, I could respond stupidly to some of what you say with valid opposition. But that would ignite an arguement over something not really worth arguing about. Then the administrator would come in and put a lock on yet another thread. All because some can't seem to do what I'm going to do now...

 

 

I RESPECT your opinion!

 

 

I may not AGREE with it totally, but that's neither here nor there. I'm completely aware that I'M capable of forwarding opinions that many here might consider a bucket of swill, so I'm not going to dwell too much on anyone else's.

 

 

Peace.

 

 

And keep the faith!

 

 

Sepiatone

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well guys, the biggest dilemma that films like "Kapo" face isn't if they can provide entertainment to the viewer. In fact, they are so grim and horrific based on their subject matter, you would have to be a homicidal maniac to have any kind of positive expectations for the film before you purchased an admission ticket. It seems totally humane to me for anyone with the willingness to watch this type of movie to have a rather negative opinion of it, no matter how well it was produced.

 

Thus, the value of "Kapo" certainly isn't it's enjoyable diversion where the hero wins the day and the evil doers gets their just rewards. This isn't your standard Hollywood type film that most viewers seek and expect. In actuality, a more "normal" reaction to "Kapo" is to be repulsed by it.

 

So why would anyone want to watch it? Well, a lot of people will not and probably most that do, will not conspire to procure a reshowing of the film out of a need for a pursuit of amusement. The value of films like "Kapok" isn't entertainment, nor as a pedagogy of historical fact. But as a testament of the lack of empathy that is too often an aspect that we humans display toward each other.

 

I will never be smart enough to understand how or why the Nazi's hated the Jews, Gypsies and Candlestick makers so much. Maybe it will never be known. But watch "Kapo" if you dare, simply to know that it has happened and as a result, your knowledge of it, just may help prevent it from happening again. We at least, owe them that!

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=JamesH wrote:}{quote}

>

> I will never be smart enough to understand how or why the Nazi's hated the Jews, Gypsies and Candlestick makers so much. Maybe it will never be known. But watch "Kapo" if you dare, simply to know that it has happened and as a result, your knowledge of it, just may help prevent it from happening again. We at least, owe them that!

Or to quote George Santayana: *Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it.* And unfortunately, it's often with the same not-so-happy ending.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=AndyM108 wrote:}{quote}

> > Or to quote George Santayana: *Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it.* And unfortunately, it's often with the same not-so-happy ending.

Absolutely Andy and it seems to be a lesson we never learn.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I was out-of-town but had my DVR set up. Unfortunetly my cable provider failed me again with a poor, frequently pixilated signal & some long freezes.

 

 

A couple of years ago, while traveling through Europe, I visited a few of the concentration camp ruins that were on the way. From what I could see of KAPO (1960) it put flesh on some of those old bones and I would like to add it to my collection.

 

 

If GreatMoviesFan, AndyM108, ValentineXavier, or anyone else who recorded KAPO when it last aired, if one of you folks also captured the intro & post commentary by Ben Mankiewicz, and would be willing, I would very much like to swap a copy of any of my TCM recordings for a good copy of KAPO with the TCM commentary included.

 

 

If you are interested please PM me & we can make arrangements.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=Stephan55 wrote:}{quote}

> I was out-of-town but had my DVR set up. Unfortunetly my cable provider failed me again with a poor, frequently pixilated signal & some long freezes.

>

> A couple of years ago, while traveling through Europe, I visited a few of the concentration camp ruins that were on the way. From what I could see of KAPO (1960) it put flesh on some of those old bones and I would like to add it to my collection.

>

>

> If GreatMoviesFan, AndyM108, ValentineXavier, or anyone else who recorded KAPO when it last aired, if one of you folks also captured the intro & post commentary by Ben Mankiewicz, and would be willing, I would very much like to swap a copy of any of my TCM recordings for a good copy of KAPO with the TCM commentary included.

>

>

> If you are interested please PM me & we can make arrangements.

>

You must use Cox cable -- just a hunch.

 

I think that I have what you are looking for (but not perhaps in the right format), although it has been so long since I wrote a private message that I have forgotten the procedure for doing it. If you are interested, either post the instructions for doing this or tell me where they can be found on this website and I will take it from there.

 

musikone

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll check to see how much got recorded. I only say that because you never know, and I haven't yet watched this recording. (I bought a commercial DVD earlier.) I'm not a particular fan of recording introductions, but since this was on in the middle of the night, I probably just recorded everything between the starting time of Kapo and the starting time of the next feature. I'll let you know what I find.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Musikone & Andy108

 

 

 

Thanks guys, for your reply. I sure hope that one of you can help me out.

 

 

 

Yes, it is COX Cable.... How did you guess?

 

 

 

Musikone

 

 

 

To send a PM you must first be signed in to your account so that you can post.

Then just click on the name of the person you wish to communicate with from the side bar.

When that screen pops up, you can look at their last few posts, and if they are accepting PMs on the upper left side of the screen you should see a small icon that states that.

If you click on that icon a screen opens up so that you can type in your msg.

Whenever you are signed in you can see if your in-box has any msgs and click on it to read & respond to them.

 

 

 

I have been recording movies from TCM for the convenience of my own repeat viewing quite a few years, began with VHS and now have numerous DVDs. I generally like to capture the pre & post commentary whenever I can.

I began using quality Taiyo Yuden blanks in April of 2010, and so far have maybe produced 5 or 6 coasters, usually my fault, out of a few 1000 recordings.

 

 

 

Anyway, if you have some movie in mind that has been broadcast over the last few years, I may have recorded it. I have also collected many of the travelogues, mini documentaries, previews, public service & variety shorts, for the oddballs, such as myself, that find those features interesting.

 

 

 

Although the best of any of these DVDs is only 480p, with analogue, for the last 3 years I have consistently recorded using HQ for many single features that are 60 min or less, SP for any feature that is up to 125 min, or I double-up on two 1 hr long related features (i.e. same key actor or director, etc.), and generally reserve SPP for features that are from >125 up to 160 min. If longer than that I have been using multiple Discs recorded at SP (i.e. BEN HUR, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, DOCTOR ZHIVAGO, GONE WITH THE WIND, GANDHI, etc.).

Although they do not compare with an HD quality commercial DVD, if you have not been spoilt by BlueRay, I think they hold up pretty well on screens up to 32" and are passable (for me anyway) on screens that are much larger, especially if you have an upscaler DVD player.

The bane of recording for me has been the lack of consistent signal quality from the cable provider, no matter what part of the country I may be in, and sometimes, on a late night program when all else seems to be fine there will be a routine ALERT interruption that will ruin the recording for me.

If you want to trade for a feature that i have recorded I will preview it to make sure it is a good copy before I send it to you.

 

 

 

Just let me know what you have in mind.

 

 

 

I sure hope one of you has a good recording with Ben's intro & exit commentary.

 

Thanks for your help.

 

Oh, BTW, if the recording is not region 1 or region-free, as long as I know what region the recorder records I can rerecord it and make it region-free, even if it is PAL, I can convert it. It just requires a few extra steps that I'm willing to take to get a good copy. So long as Ben is speaking English, I don't mind reading the captions. It is after all an Italian import. :)

 

Edited by: Stephan55 on Jun 20, 2013 6:55 PM

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=Stephan55 wrote:}{quote}Hi Musikone & Andy108

>

>

>

>

> Thanks guys, for your reply. I sure hope that one of you can help me out.

>

>

>

>

>

> Yes, it is COX Cable.... How did you guess?

>

>

>

>

>

> Musikone

>

>

>

>

Stephan55,

 

I have sent you a private message regading your posted request.

 

 

musikone

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...