Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Flix to GROOVE hard to!!!! Monday, June 10-Sunday, June 16!!

markbeckuaf

TCM Flix to Groove Hard TO!!! Monday, June 10-Sunday, June 16!!!

Get a groove on! First up, to check back with the grooves for this weekend, please check my previous grooves deluxe here: http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=169516&tstart=30

And I do have to shout it out for tonight's lineup, man. Friday, June 9, is what I'm talking about, cos it's pretty bad to the bone with a full lineup of flix based on noir-type scribes, daddio! Gotta dig it, 3 versions of "The Maltese Falcon" and lots more to get a groove on with!

On to Monday, June 10 and it kicks off in fine style with a Charley Chase short (also with Betty Mack and Ruthelma Stevens) from 1934, CHASES OF PIMPLE STREET (1934)!! Even the title gets me on the floor!!!! Next up, it's Wally Ford and my main man Brian Donlevy in a pretty rare flick, one that I've not seen before, ANOTHER FACE (1935)! Dunno much about it, but it's one that I have on my "must see" list for sure! Paul Drake...err..William Hopper shows up next in a college football yarn, OVER THE GOAL (1937), and from that same year, it's the lovely and underrated Ann Dvorak and Harry Carey in RACING LADY (1937)!!! Then Ollie Hardy on his own...well with others but not with Stan, in ZENOBIA (1939)!! Actually Billie Burke, Harry Langdon and Alice Brady also show up for the fun!

Monday nights are owned by Star of the Month Eleanor Parker in the month of June, and man, by the lineup we have in store for us this time, Eleanor don't mess around, brother! Right off the bat the hard-hitting prison drama, CAGED (1950) with the luscious Jan Sterling, Agnes Moorehead, Ellen Corby--this flick rocks! Then if that wasn't enough, bring on Bogie himself in CHAIN LIGHTNING (1950), followed by a remake of the classic, OF HUMAN BONDAGE (1946)!!

Eleanor doesn't want to stop the all night party when the sun comes up on Tuesday either, cos at 9:30am, we're in noir territory with a pretty rare flick, THE WOMAN IN WHITE (1948) with Alexis Smith and Sydney Greenstreet!! Gotta catch this one!!! Then it's an all-star romp, with Eleanor showing up amidst a host of other stars in IT'S A GREAT FEELING (1949) with Dennis Morgan, Doris Day and Jack Carson!

At 1pm, the gears are shifted with truckers, Bogie and Raft, in THEY DRIVE BY NIGHT (1940)!!! Then the noir cult classic, DETOUR (1945), a flick that I never tire of after repeated viewings! After that a somewhat more rare noir/crime flick, HOMICIDE (1949). with Robert Dougles, Helen Westcott, and Robert Alda!!! Noir fans, don't touch that dial, cos TCM is not done with us yet, as THE HITCH-HIKER (1953) hits it hard at 5:30pm Tuesday evening, one of the best around IMO, directed by Ida Lupino, and starring Edmond O'Brien, Frank Lovejoy, and DA Burger...errr, William Talman in a chilling portrayal of an amoral killer! Gotta dig it, what a flick!

Tuesday night's theme is kinda interesting, "Working Women Who Surrender In the End"!! A mouthful too! And man, it kicks off at 8pm with TWO, count 'em TWO, pre-codes, right there in the ol' prime time, daddio!!! Babs Stanwyck in one of the prime examples of what pre-code is all about in BABY FACE (1933)!!! Then it's Ruth Chatterton doing her part in FEMALE (1933), also with George Brent, and including Ferdinand Gottschalk, Ruth Donnelly and Johhny Mack Brown!! Much later, 4am to be exact, Bette Davis gets in on this action with George Brent again (man, that dude gets around, doesn't he??!!), Roscoe Karns, Winifred Shaw and Joseph Crehan in FRONT PAGE WOMAN (1935)!!!

Ok, I gotta give it up for my main man Bela Lugosi who stars in the first flick of Wed, Jun 12 at 6am, SCARED TO DEATH (1947)!!! Promoted as Lugosi's only color flick, it also features another of my main men, George Zucco, and Nat Pendleton!!! It's povery row-ish deluxe, so expect that, but it still resonates and Lugosi (and Zucco) always delivers the goods! Gotta totally groove!!! Up at 9am is a noir, DANGER SIGNAL (1945), with Faye Emerson and sleeze-meister himself, Zachary Scott! Now, I like Scott as an actor but I really could never see what any dame in any flick I've seen him in EVER sees in him! But hey, it's the silver screen, baby! This one also features Bruce Bennett and Mona Freeman! A flick I've not seen before is brought on at Noon, starring Bob--that's Bob, not Bing!!---Crosby, LET'S MAKE MUSIC (1941)!! Hey, gotta give it a whirl! And after that, a coolio flick, BLUES IN THE NIGHT (1941), a bit off-beat at times, but I dig that crazy beat!! Then it's a mystery, and I dig on these, powie zowie, it's Walter Pidgeon, Donald Meek (his character is hilarious!), and Tom conway in a Nick Carter mystery, SKY MURDER (1940)!!! Then it's Cagney, Ann Sheridan, Arthur Kennedy, and my main man, Frank McHugh in CITY FOR CONQUEST (1940)!! I really dig this flick, and it also features Elia Kazan and Anthony Quinn in the cast!!! Then at 6pm, a flick starring Cary Grant, Edward Arnold and Frances Farmer that I simply must check out, THE TOAST OF NEW YORK (1937)!!

Thursday daytime it's all about Basil Rathbone baby! He kicks it off with a double bill of his portrayal of the famous detective, SHERLOCK HOLMES AND THE SECRET WEAPON (1942), which also stars my main man, Lionel Atwill, followed by SHERLOCK HOLMES IN TERROR BY NIGHT (1946)!! Of course, both feature the awesome Nigel Bruce, and though these have been played and played, they haven't been on in a while and they never lose their appeal to me!! Then at 9:15am, Basil mixes it up with the lovely Kay Francis (and who wouldn't want to join him, eh??), and Ian Hunter in CONFESSION (1937)!!

If you dig on Esther Williams, you are flying higher than a kite as TCM presents 24 full hours of Esther flix from 8pm Thursday through 8pm Friday!!! The flick I'd be looking for shows up on Friday at 9:15am, THE HOODLUM SAINT (1946), one of my sentimental favorites, with William Powell, Angela Lansbury, and a bevy of the greatest character actors ever to grace the silver screen: James Gleason, Frank McHugh, Rags Ragland...wow!

Then it's what all those noir junkies like me out there have been waiting for the entire week (well with some hits along the way mentioned above!), with the "Noir Writer's" Theme on Friday nights! Well, Friday, June 14, doesn't disappoint, with DARK PASSAGE (1947), a flick which maintains an interesting POV through about the first 1/3 of the film!!! Bogie and Bacall baby!! Nuff said! Then it's Aldo Ray, Brian Keith, and Anne Bancroft in NIGHTFALL (1956), a taut noir thriller!!! Next up it's a flick, I think I've seen a long time ago, but can't recall, so gotta check it anyway, Dan Duryea, Jayne Mansfield (va-va-va-voom!!!) and Martha Vickers show up in THE BURGLAR (1956)!!! Then two flix I've definitely not seen before, SHOOT THE PIANO PLAYER (1960), directed by Francois Truffaut, followed by THE BURGLARS (1971), with Omar Sharif, Dyan Cannon and Jean-Paul Belmondo!!! And to wrap up the noir all-nighter, it's Ann Sheridan, Lew Ayres and that pesky Zachary Scott again in THE UNFAITHFUL (1947)!!

Saturdays I gotta be digging on the "Falcon" series which shows up at 10:45am, this time it's THE FALCON OUT WEST (1944), with Tom Conway and Della Street...errr...Barbara Hale!!! Out of his element, this one features quite a bit of humor, but still rocks it!

Saturday night is a tribute to Rudy Vallee, and the flick I'll be checking in on will be GOLD DIGGERS IN PARIS (1938)!!! By this time the Busby Berkeley series has lost a lot of it's pre-code ooomph, but I'd still like to check in and see what's shakin', with Rudy, Hugh Herbert, my main man Allen Jenkins, and Rosemary Lane!

And the Sunday night Silent flick for Sunday, June 16 is Charlie Chaplin in THE KID (1921), followed by a short documentary film on the flick, which I'm looking forward to!!

All in all, I'd say it's a totally rockin' week thanks to TCM!! Hope everyone out there in TCM land and on our board is having great happy times, have a great weekend and week everyone!! And keep on watching and groovin'!!!

Mark, I'm so glad your "grooves" are back. Seeing what you think is worth watching on TCM is how I like to begin my week.

Anyway, I'll be groovin' to many of the same things you are including THE HITCHHIKER...William Talman as a bad guy kind of unnerves me. I think I've seen too much Perry Mason. LOL

Sewannie, I'm totally honored that you check in with my weekly grooves to start off your viewing week!!! WOW!! Thank you!

Oh I know what you mean about Talman!! Actually he's in a few others where he's a bad dude as well, and I had a difficult time seeing him that way. As well as Raymond Burr and Ray Collins!! I don't think Barbara Hale ever played a bad dame or femme fatale, but could be mistaken. I also haven't seen William Hopper in that kind of film role either (again, may have missed it), but he was a bad dude in a "Gunsmoke" episode once, and I was totally floored by that also!! I'm much more ok with it now but when I first started seeing the "Perry Mason" cast in evil/bad to the bone roles, I was out of my mind!!!

Hope you have a totally groovy week!

I enjoy very much from your weekly grooves and I learn much also. They are very entertaining and your enthusiasm is infectious. :)

Capuchin did a TCM Programmers Challenge in which he choose popular television program series and showed movies of the actors before the series. His choices for Perry Mason were:

Raymond Burr

*Bride of the Gorilla* (1951)

*The Blue Gardenia* (1953)

Barbara Hale

*The Falcon in Hollywood* (1944)

*A Likely Story* (1947)

William Hopper

*20 Million Miles to Earth* (1957)

*Public Wedding* (1937)

William Talman

*Red, Hot and Blue* (1949)

*Armored Car Robbery* (1950)

Ray Collins

*The Hidden Eye* (1945)

*Touch of Evil* (1958)

> {quote:title=markbeckuaf wrote:}{quote}Sewannie, I'm totally honored that you check in with my weekly grooves to start off your viewing week!!! WOW!! Thank you!

>

> Oh I know what you mean about Talman!! Actually he's in a few others where he's a bad dude as well, and I had a difficult time seeing him that way. As well as Raymond Burr and Ray Collins!! I don't think Barbara Hale ever played a bad dame or femme fatale, but could be mistaken. I also haven't seen William Hopper in that kind of film role either (again, may have missed it), but he was a bad dude in a "Gunsmoke" episode once, and I was totally floored by that also!! I'm much more ok with it now but when I first started seeing the "Perry Mason" cast in evil/bad to the bone roles, I was out of my mind!!!

>

> Hope you have a totally groovy week!

I saw Talman in ARMORED CAR ROBBERY a little while back and had that same feeling. Seeing Burr in a completely different capacity than what I'm used too does the same thing to me.

Like you, I've never seen Barbara Hale as a femme fatale and don't really want to. The guys I can deal with but not Della. LOL

> {quote:title=jamesjazzguitar wrote:}{quote}

> For Hopper I would of shown The Bad Seed

I should not speak for him but I have looked at the particulars and I believe his choice was impulsed that William Hopper was not one of the top-billed stars of that movie and it would require a 135 minute slot while the two movies he choose fit in an 150 minute slot.

> for Burr His Kind of Women.

I believe it is also the case here where he is not top-billed and it is a long movie. He is not top-billed also for: *The Blue Gardenia* (1953) but he is the victim so his role is crucial for the movie.

The TCM Programming Challenge is at all times a series of compromises and priorities are not at all times evident.