Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MacKenna's Gold

A very violent overlong western with some apache mysticism thrown in but it is interesting to watch though especially for Omar Sharif's performance. He seems determined to kill off everyone in the picture but himself. I've always found Victor Jory's narration most incongruous. Sounds like he's telling a folk story. The best most enduring quality of MacKenna's Gold is the Quincy Jones score. Given it's length it should be a primetime showing not 2 in the afternoon.

Never seen it, don't know much about it. Heard both good and bad on it, though, so I don't have a clear picture of it's worth. I DO find the idea of OMAR SHARIF in a western intriguing. He's not playing a SHERRIFF, is he? THAT would be more "pun" than a barrel of monkeys!

"Howdy, Ma'am. Lookin' for a good BEDOUIN AND BREAKFAST?"

Sepiatone

According to Ben, EVERYBODY turned this project down. Even Peck at first.

Saw it for the first( and likely LAST) time yesterday. I thought it started out OK, but lost steam early on. Could have done without a lot of needless stuff. Like, WHY bring in a "Who's Who" of past masters only to kill 'em all off at once 20 or so minutes later? Why do that choppy, speeded up film trick during the ferry scenes? Why, after spending all that time filming on location, would you include a scene of Sharif and Peck riding fake horses against a projected background?

And how many retakes of Jose Feliciano singing that ballad about a turkey buzzard did they need before he could sing it WITHOUT laughing? And why keep embarrassing Quincey Jones by reminding the world he wrote that forgettable score?

If not for Julie Newmar's swimming scenes, it would have been a TOTAL waste of time! Whether or not they used a "body double" for most of it doesn't matter.

But I will admit, Sharif is a more convincing Mexican than Wallace Beery.

Sepiatone

Great review, Sep. :^0 It is something of a misfire but it does have it's humorous moments. MacKenna doesn't want Colorado to know the babe is Judge Pergament's daughter so when calvary sergeant Kojak spills the beans Peck beats the crap out of him. And don't forget mexican Keenan Wynn smooching Adams' (Edward G. Robinson) young friend in the face. Wynn: "If you are a boy then I think I will give you a haircut...and if you are a girl then I am going to kiss you...I think you are a girl! SMOOOOOCHHH! That's one of the funniest scenes in this bomb. Burgess Meredith trying to forego an arrow in the chest at point blank range with just his glasses is pretty amusing as well. :D

Out of the series three Catwomen I thought Julie Newmar was the best looking and the most interesting. (Anne Hathaway is more attractive though. I thought some her performance in last years Dark Knight Rises contained a lot of Julie Newmar elements, especially her slink.)

This film seemed to be so slow moving, with very little action. It is mostly men standing around talking to each other and occasionally shooting each other.

I don't understand why there wasn't a closer scene of the nude diving.

The most outrageous nude scene in this film is the one with Omar Sharif buck naked, sitting on a big rock. He had his legs crossed and his arms crossed in front of him, as if he really were naked when the scene was filmed. He looked so goofy in this scene.

mackennas-gold-2.jpg