Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Short YouTube Finds

SansFin

It happens often that I find clips of old movies which are not familiar to me.

I hope some of these will be of interest to others:

This is a clip from: *Who Killed Gail Preston* (1938). It is a very young Rita Hayworth.

This is the opening to: *The Devil's Eye* (1960) which is a comedy which was written and directed by Ingmar Bergman:

I know that it is not possible for a poster to control in any manner a thread but I respectfully and kindly ask that others add only clips of old movies which are not likely to be aired soon or with any regularity.

I ask that you start your own thread if you wish to post clips of movies which air often.

I have found also some genre titles:

This is from *Aelita* (1924). I wish to comment on the hat styles but I can think of no proper way to explain them:

This is from *Ikarie XB 1* (1963). I find it stunning in several ways. It foretold also having shoes which light when you step:

SansFin, I have no youtube clips to add as yet (but don't worry, if I do, they will be from rarely screened movies, as you request).

But I only just noticed this thread now, and I see that you started it a few days ago, but no one else has yet posted on it.

I figured it was time to let you know that I'm aware now of this thread -what a fun idea ! And that I have no doubt that, despite no other poster responding thus far, people will discover this thread and contribute to it. And I'm sure many people appreciate it ( lots of "views" ) .

Just thought I'd give you a little feedback and encouragement. Yours' is not a voice in the wilderness, cherie.

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> I figured it was time to let you know that I'm aware now of this thread -what a fun idea!

I thank you for your kind words. I hope you enjoy some of these clips.

I am not concerned of others not posting to this thread. It happens often that some people will begin to view such a thread as a mission to find several things each day to post and a thread will quickly fill to the condition that it is not reasonable to watch all that is posted.

I would prefer to keep this a small thread where I share what I find and where others post what they happen to find during other activities. I can share more often than most only because it seems that I am always finding a few things of interest when I am searching for other things.

I have found what I believe is an odd pairing. The Bates mansion from the movie *Psycho* is available as an HO-gauge kit model. I have had a glimpse into model railroading and they seem to place such a high value on both equipment and scenery being exact reproductions of a date and place that I must wonder if a modeler would truly wish such a house in their layout as I do not remember there being railroad tracks there.

A diorama featuring the kit:

I've only seen this movie once, so I hope it's ok to post here. This scene made me laugh out loud, literally. It's from Libled Lady. William Powell's character is supposed to be an expert fisherman, but:

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> Congrats on reaching 3000 posts, SansFin! You're a lot of fun. I like your sense of humor, and you're a very wise film fan. It's good to have you around.

I thank you very much for noticing and much more for your kind words. :)

I remember thinking when I was writing my fiftieth post that I did not know for how long people would endure me in this forum or if I would ever have so much to say that I might hit the magical number of one hundred posts.

I do not have your depth of knowledge of movies or your gift for articulating the finer points of actors in their roles or your wit and style so it is particularly kind of you and yours to have made me feel at home here. All I can say is a very feeble: I Thank You for all that you have meant to me.

*I remember thinking when I was writing my fiftieth post that I did not know for how long people would endure me in this forum or if I would ever have so much to say that I might hit the magical number of one hundred posts.*

It's funny how that works. I wasn't sure I wanted to join the board back in 2007. I knew I would be in over my head, but I figured I'd give it a try. I'm glad I did. I've grown a lot since then, even as a person.

*I do not have your depth of knowledge of movies or your gift for articulating the finer points of actors in their roles or your wit and style so it is particularly kind of you and yours to have made me feel at home here. All I can say is a very feeble: I Thank You for all that you have meant to me.*

Au contraire! You are far more knowledgeable than I. And funnier! You're a very good writer, too.

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

>> I do not have your depth of knowledge of movies

> You are far more knowledgeable than I.

It is an illusion! I was taught early in life to speak only on those subjects of which I know a great deal and to expound at length when I do speak. By this way it gives the impression that I am knowledgeable even when I am silent even although I have no understanding at all of the subject at hand.

It is akin to the philosophy that a lady should at all times appear as if she is a serene swan gliding gracefully across a calm pond and to never let any person see that just below the surface she is paddling like crazy! :)

> And funnier!

It may be true that I am funny but I take heart in the old saying: looks are not everything!

I thank you for posting that clip! It is indeed a classic number.

I have been remiss in speaking of musical fowl and not including a clip of the classic performer and his group:

I assert it is movie related in that all have been in a movie as well as on a television program.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings