Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Okay, I'm Baffled!

Dargo2

Where in heck is the air intake on that "JA-3 experimental aircraft" that Bogie is flyin' around tonight in this flick Chain Lightning ??? 'Cause it's obviously supposed to be a turbine jet powered plane from the sound it's making and because no manned rocket powered winged aircraft, then OR now, could have near the range that Bogie's a/c was supposed to have here.

What I'm thinkin' here is that the technical staff at Warner Brothers knew of the Bell X-2 ROCKET powered experimental plane and decided to make a mockup of it and use that in this movie.

(...okay, okay...maybe I answered my own question here, huh) ;)

Btw...I LOVE Raymond Massey playing these "corporate magnate" types! Reminds me a little of his character in The Fountainhead, but a little nicer.

Edited by: Dargo2 on Jun 10, 2013 8:06 PM

>This is the movies, man. They don't need no stinking air intake!

This question reminds me of all the movies where you see a car speeding away on a dirt road punctuated by a squealing tire sound as it rounds a corner.

h4. The Laws of Physics don't apply in Tinseltown

I dunno, Dargo. Maybe the same reason they can walk around the Millennium Falcon in Star Wars.

I know I spent a good hour last night reading up on mid-sized corporate jets and if you can conceivably retrofit the interior in a 24 hour turn-around time.

OK, you noticed this "air intake" problem. I have no idea what an "air intake" is. What % 0f viwers of this film know what an air intake is? What % of viewers who DO know what an air intake is would recognize the problem?.......That's why the studio didn't give a f***.

>OK, you noticed this "air intake" problem. I have no idea what an "air intake" is.

Wow finance! I gotta say I'm somewhat shocked to find you apparently fall into that category of individuals(sorry any ladies out there reading this, but yes, percentage-wise it DOES tend to be of the "fairer sex") in this modern age who when asked how an automobile works would reply: "Hey, all I know is that I put the key in the ignition and it starts up!"

(...btw ladies, you are now free to grab those pitchforks and torches and camp in front of my house if ya want...but PLEASE place the better lookin' of ya in the front row facing my abode!!!)

...continuing to **** here!

I guess I like Chain Lightning primarily because of Matt Brennan's Alaska to DC high altitude flight. I don't like the beginning with the WWII Bogart-Parker romance BS and Richard Whorf's Carl Troxell is somewhat irritating. Who is Troxell to lecture Brennan or any other pilot of his caliber on the collective debt of all pilots to aviation? Kinda self-righteously arrogant if you ask me and Brennan's ignorance throughout the picture is just as bad. Of course, Brennan is not so ignorant when he makes his suggestions to Willis about modifying the JA3 to make an Alaska to DC high altitude flight possible and after completing his fabulous flight Brennan refers to his pressure suit as a "Buck Rogers monkey suit". I mean why would Brennan mock a pre-space age technology that has made his flight even possible? Would a top test pilot even say something as dismissive as that? I think Bogart realized that he was somewhat out of his element with this particular film's subject matter so he wanted lines that favored his past hard-boiled gangster tough guy persona.

Yeah, I suppose you bring up some good points here, however what I'm MOST glad about is that you brought up the name of Richard Whorf here.

Ya see, for YEARS I've thought that that guy looks a whole lot like Eddie Cantor, and so I've been wondering if I'm crazy, OR if anyone else out there thinks this TOO???

(...btw...you ARE welcomed to answer the above as a two part question if you'd like)

I kinda think Whorf looked like Cantor, too. I wonder if he would still look the same in BLACKFACE?

Dargo, I honestly believe even the GUYS in the audience back then would have thought about the air intake( Yes! I KNOW what it is!!), so wrapped up in the "space age" design of the jet plane they would be. (Sounded a bit YODA-like there, huh?) But ya gotta realize...today, they would have given serious consideration to sniggling little details like the air intake, and spent far less time developing the STORY!

Also, btw, we DON'T wonder if you're crazy. We're pretty much SURE of it! ;)

Sepiatone

Edited by: Sepiatone on Jun 11, 2013 6:05 PM

> But ya gotta realize...today, they would have given serious consideration to sniggling little details like the air intake, and spent far less time developing the STORY!

LOL

Ain't THAT the truth!!!

>Also, btw, we DON'T wonder if you're crazy. We're pretty much SURE of it! ;)

Well, it's AT LEAST nice to know I have a confirmed diagnosis here then!!!

(...there's NOTHIN' worse than not knownin' and waitin' for all those test results to come in, ya know!!!)

There were plans made for airplanes to have their air intakes be narrow slits positioned in the top of the wings. It was believed in this way to lessen the air pressure on the top of the wings which would increase lift. I know of no aircraft built in this way.

I find it odd that later developments included porting some of the jet engine's exhaust in laminar flow over the wings because adding that stream of air increased lift by the coandă effect.

Ya know Sans, this is yet ANOTHER reason why I really like you!

(...not ONLY are your English skills second to none around here, BUT you ALSO now appear to be one of the very few Gearheads like me around here TOO!!!)

;)

Edited by: Dargo2 on Jun 11, 2013 3:37 PM

> {quote:title=SansFin wrote:}{quote}

>

> because adding that stream of air increased lift by the coandă effect.

>

Indeed. I'm very familiar with the piña coandă effect. One minute you're flying high, then the next you've crashed to the floor. Those things are potent, fer sure. Oh Ralph, Ralph, Ralph dear. ;)

LOL

Ya know heuriger, I was JUST about to go in that direction with my response to the Sans also, BUT I figured instead I'd go with a little on-going inside joke I have going with the extremely intelligent and articulate lady from Odessa.

(...Ukraine..NOT Texas, btw...nobody THAT smart comes from Texas, ya know!)

>There were plans made for airplanes to have their air intakes be narrow slits positioned in the top of the wings.

I think maybe the plane in the movie is supposed to be a rocket plane instead of a jet. In fact, I think the plane they see over Germany, in the old newsreel footage, is a German rocket plane instead of a jet, such as a Messerschmitt Me 163.

lrg0010.jpg

> {quote:title=Dargo2 wrote:}{quote}

> you ALSO now appear to be one of the very few Gearheads like me around here TOO!!!)

I am sorry to disappoint you but I do not consider myself a Gearhead. I dated pilots and engineers and so I learned some things by being interested in their work. I had also an automobile and in that place at that time that meant learning mechanicals to the point of doing maintenance and effecting minor repairs.

I do like watching: Top Gear on BBC but it is because they are crazy people and not because of the automobiles. :)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings