Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Osborne got the title wrong

YEAH? If ya think THAT'S bad here kernel, then you should've been around here that time Bob told us about the obscure and little known alternate title for the movie Refer Madness!!!

Yeah, you guessed...he called it "Chained" instead of "CHAIN Smoking"...we just figured he has a thing for adjectives instead of nouns, THAT'S all!

(...btw, welcome to the boards and stick around a while...and no don't let this sorry excuse for a joke scare ya off...SOMETIMES my jokes ARE actually kinda funny!)

Ya know Fly, I read somethin' like that around here occasionally, and while of course you and the others who express this same opinion have a perfect right to feel that way and express it(I mean this IS a "Free Country" and all, as they say), I gotta say I don't get it.

Ya see, many more times than not, I'll purposely just tune into TCM just at the scheduled starting times for these flicks JUST to listen to what Bob and The Mankster might have to say about 'em and then change the channel, 'cause in many cases I've already seen the films many times already. I figure I might learn somethin', ya see.

And yes, while those two DO admittedly make an occasional error regarding the facts, I really like the warming and welcoming feel I get from 'em, too.

(...but hey, like they ALSO say, "To each their own", eh?!...which coincidentally happens to be one of my favorite Olivia de Havilland flicks...probably because I was adopted in infancy...and no, NOT by a pack of wild movie nerds)

{quote:title=Dargo2 wrote:

Hey heuriger my dear...I gotta know...

You still really miss that 8pm to Midnight Rock Jock gig you once held at WRAR in Poughkeepsie back in the '80s, don't ya?! ;)

Big-Smiley-animated-animation-grin-smile

OMG how did you know I was once a rock dj? But it was at WLHV 88.1 FM Annandale-on-Hudson, NY that I became a devotee of the *Dan.* As you probably know, Becker and Fagen were undergrad students at Bard College in Annandale. Shall I dig out the song in which they reference Annandale? ;)

I believe it on the "Countdown to Ecstasy" LP.

}{quote}

LOL

No thanks, heuriger. I know the song to which you're referencing here.

(...in FACT, now that you've mentioned it, I'll probably be hummin' the sucker to myself the rest of day now...THANKS!!!!)

;)

"My Old School" on their second album.

Saying "chained" instead of "chain" doesn't seem to be such a big deal, but I get the point. I suppose it would sound odd if RO called it "The Wild ONES" instead of "The Wild ONE", although both would fit well enough.

Sepiatone

Oh, how I remember taking the Wolverine up to Annandale. Now without further adieu, may I present a couple chips off the old Bard. Here's "My Old School". on WLHV 88.1, the Hudson Valley's best rock.

Hey I still got it kiddo !

Yeah, I caught the "Chain/Chained" slip-up too, although it's entirely possible we just heard wrong- the words kindasorta sound the same.But yeah, it sounded like "Chained" coming from Os, the Great and Powerful.

Either way, it was a pretty forgettable movie and I'll cut the silver fox some slack on this one.

I think Ole' Girl just wants to hang on as long as she can 'cause there's not a worthy successor to the throne (besides maybe Ileanna.)

> {quote:title=AddisonDeWitless wrote:}{quote}

>

> . I think Ole' Girl just wants to hang on as long as she can 'cause there's not a worthy successor to the throne (besides maybe Ileanna.)

>

As Prince once said so eloquently, "Was it boy when you wanted it girl?

>Chained smoking is different from chain smoking. Have you seen COOL HAND LUKE? That's what Newman and the guys did during breaks.

LOL

Well, there IS nothin' like burnin' a few Chesterfields while you're watchin' a young **** wash her car, ya know!!! ;)

(...especially if you're only allowed to watch her from afar!)

>I think Ole' Girl just wants to hang on as long as she can 'cause there's not a worthy successor to the throne (besides maybe Ileanna.)

Well, YA KNOW Addision, IF they wouldn't mind a few lame jokes with references aimed at all these old movies, then I suppose I COULD be persuaded to handle the Saturday and Sunday shift for 'em over there!!!

(...I mean, don't ya think The Mankster's seniority at this point should allow him at least the OCCASIONAL weekend off???)

I was thinking that Osborne and company must use some form of cue cards (cards or a prompter, something.) If so, whoever produced that segment got it wrong. I can't believe he read Chain and said Chained (which to my ears, he clearly said Chained - twice.) He would never get a better known film title wrong.

> {quote:title=Dargo2 wrote:}{quote}

>

> (...I mean, don't ya think The Mankster's seniority at this point should allow him at least the OCCASIONAL weekend off???)

>

Oh, more than occasional. So much more.

Oh, and... did anyone see Osborne *SCHOOL MOLLY HASKELL HARD LAST NIGHT* when she was (awkwardly) introducing Female. He knew Chatterton and George Brent were married at the time (she didn't), and were divorced a year after making it (again, she didn't.) She then tried to save face by asking "oh, but this was befaw his Bettay Dayvis period, rahht?" which *even some of us novices know* didn't start until the late 1930's/early forties.

Don't write The Os off just yet, as he took "one of the foremost experts in classic film" (yeah right) down and wasn't even trying.

ps- why was Molly Haskell asked to introduce films with strong female roles when Cher did the same thing a month ago *and half the films she picked were ones Cher had introduced?* And the other half, Female and Babyface have both been shown together in prime time on (what seems at least) like a couple of other occasions? And then she didn't point out *one single inn-teresting fact about either of them?* Yawn.

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Jun 12, 2013 9:56 AM

Umpteenth and one, but I'll watch Babyface every single time it airs, no matter what, and I've fallen asleep every other time Female has aired, so it was good to finally catch all of it.

ps- she also mentioned both versions of Babyface are on *NETFLIX!!!!!!* OMG- she said the "N" word on TCM and in prime time!!!!!!!!

Actually, Chatterton, Brent and Davis had already appeared together in 1932's *The Rich Are Always With Us* and then Brent and Davis starred together in 1934's *Housewife*.

Davis and Brent did appear in the 1932 version of *So Big*, but she wasn't the star.

I thought that Molly Haskell came off better last night than she did in her former appearances, but there was one film being introduced where I wish she would have snapped back. She was trying to set it all up, and Osborne was just interrupting her, saying "Right" so many times that he could have been perceived as a parrot. It seemed to throw her off her rhythm and I felt bad for her.

Molly could have been referring to their offscreen period (when they were involved) which was later. Dunno, as I didnt watch. That was the late 30s/early 40s...