Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
kernel1956

Osborne got the title wrong

Yes, you have a point, that could be the case.

> {quote:title=clore wrote:}{quote}

>

> I thought that Molly Haskell came off better last night than she did in her former appearances

>

Agreed. I know some people here are hard on Haskell, oddly enough faw huh accent, which to me is her most redeeming quality. However, what experience I've had of watching her on TCM or her commentaries on DVDs, she does have a tendency to sometimes seize on inconsequential aspects of films (Stanwyck's hair in BabyFace for example) and make kind of trivial, not too deep comments on them when there are larger issues about said films that could be discussed (her comments on the DVD special feature of Possessed (1947) also come to mind.)

All in all, I'm okay with her, but for someone with such an alleged knowledge of filmdom, I kind of wish each time she was on the Network that she'd think a little more outside "The Box" when it comes to selecting titles we *all* haven't heard of/ seen ten thousand times already.

( but I'll take her over Rex Reed, Maltin and the weekend guy any damn day or night.)

ps- I do think she was referring to Brent's offscreen relations with Davis, as Osborne agreed "he seemed to be attracted to strong women"- but sallright. To me, the moment came off as an unintential burn, with all points going to Os.

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Jun 12, 2013 11:30 AM

Also also, to continue whacking the dead horse, *I didn't like it* when Molly Haskell dismissed Ruth Chatterton as a " largely forgotten name" (that part is true) whose career *"spanned mostly the silent era."*

*Um: no.*

Chatterton made her first film in *1928,* in what (I think) is her *only silent* film (and it even had sound effects.) She was double-nominated for the 1929-30 Best Actress award for two performances in talking pictures Sarah and Son and Madame X. She went on to appear in *twenty (or so) more talking pictures,* among them Frisco Jenny, The Crash, Lily Turner and the well-regarded Dodsworth, which I personally find to be really boring, but in which Chatterton's performance is easily the best and boldest of the picture which actually makes a fascinating companion piece to Female for numerous reasons (neither Os nor Haskell brought this fact up though.)

(A double feature of Female followed by Dodsworth would be neat.)

I know I make errors a lot in my posts, and some may even be in this one, but it kind of eats at me a little bit when these film "experts" *go on the network and across the airwaves* to introduce these films and then give glib poorly researched and/or incorrect background info.

It just ain't right.

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Jun 12, 2013 2:21 PM

>Agreed. I know some people here are hard on Haskell, oddly enough faw huh accent, which to me is her most redeeming quality.

So Addison, you LIKE that "Alice Kramden with a southern accent" voice o' her's, do YA?!

(...just ONCE I'd love to hear her attempt so say, "Oh Raaalph!")

But yeah, overall, I agree with most of what you said here.

(...just ONCE I'd love to hear her attempt to say, "Oh Raaalph"!)

....Pay her Good money Dargo and maybe she will ! :)

Twink

"Good" is a relative term ya know, Twink. ;)

(...which coincidentally a relative of mine, my dear Aunt Gertrude, once told me!)

Well, I'm from North Carolina (as is Haskell) so, you know, I've built up a tolerance to the accent.

ps- her "Raaaaalph!!!" would be prounounced "Raaaah-aye-lph!!!!!!!!!!" We North Carolinians are big on loading a word with as many syllables as possible.

OMG...'try as I might', I cannot pronounce, .........."Raaaah-aye-lph!!!! :0

Twink

Trust me, there's nothing wrong with the fact that you can't.

It's a southern "talent"- yew gots to be born down here.

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Jun 12, 2013 4:47 PM

LOL. That's true. Chatterton was quite popular in early talkies. Or else WB would'nt have lured her away from Paramount. But her popularity waned quickly and her refusal to take a pay cut during that time did her in with her bosses. By '34 or even earlier, Kay Francis had taken her place as queen of the lot. Except for a brief comeback in Dodsworth, her film career was pretty much over...

Boom.

There you go. Every single line of that paragraph you just wrote was more inn-teresting than all of what Haskell had to offer (that I saw) last night.

ps- Ruth Chatterton got her own SUTS day somewhere in the past, no? If not, *she deserves one.*

I think she had a SUTS day, but I cant really remember........

Posters have commented that there was a lack of chemistry between RO and Haskell (Molly, not Eddie) when they co-hosted the Essentials. I noticed that last night.

>ps- her "Raaaaalph!!!" would be prounounced "Raaaah-aye-lph!!!!!!!!!!" We North Carolinians are big on loading a word with as many syllables as possible.

Trust me Addison, I know what "y'alls" talkin' 'bout here.

There once was a co-worker of mine, a lady for Texas, and she would call another co-worker of mine, "Jay-eff"...and of course his name was "Jeff".

The main difference as far as I can tell between the North Carolinian accent and a Texas accent being the much "harder R" sound being pronounced in TX, while the NC accent when it comes to the letter 'r' is much softer...just a Molly sounds it.

(...btw, I think Molly has a slight "Una Merkel" sound to her voice also)

...with just a few years later it possibly being...

"I stopped you Mr. Osborne because I clocked you going 57 in a 45MPH zone!"

(...hey, this reminds me finance...that cop that gave you that jaywalking ticket while you lived out in L.A. wouldn't have happened to have BEEN our "Officer Ken" here, would HE???) ;)

Edited by: Dargo2 on Jun 12, 2013 3:27 PM

I think she has a slight "Una Merkel" sound to her voice..

I thought she had a slight,... "I went to 'Sarah Lawrence College' !..so there!!! "

... sound to her voice.

Twink

If you're sayin' you think Molly has a slightly "affected" manner of speaking here Twink, then I absolutely agree with you!

"affected" manner of speaking...

...precisely !

As others have pointed out, there did not seem to be any chemistry between "Bob 'n Molly", (not that it mattered, it's not as if they were in a movie together'! ) , however, I sensed ..' one upmanship' on Molly's part, and RO... squirming 'ever so slightly' in his chair !

Anyone else notice that?

Twink

Yep, and have you also ever noticed that whenever Bob is not totally comfortable with a guest co-host, he has another "tell" other than this "squirm" you mentioned?

It's that constant "Right" interruption of his guest while they're speaking, and of which clore earlier mentioned in this thread, and which he seemed to do even more often with Molly last night than he usually does.

(...btw this reminds me...I think I would probably become totally slack-jawed if I would ever hear Bob JUST ONCE say somethin' to his guests such as, "No, sorry, I disagree with your opinion here, and here's why....")

LOL

Edited by: Dargo2 on Jun 12, 2013 4:17 PM

I kept hoping that she would have paraphrased the title of a bio that I read about Darryl F. Zanuck and had told him "Don't say 'right' until I finish talking."

' Daddy-O ' is definitely the Master when it comes to interviewing !

Certainly, that was evident when he intervied Kim Novak...he has a way of 'bringing out the best' in a person and let the interviewee do the talking.

Cannot imagine him 'Ever' saying, "No, sorry, I disagree...

PS..... All this 'to do' about chain & chained,.... who cares if he trips up on his words now and again, ...he's ' Adorable' !

Twink