Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1939's Forgotten Ones

TopBilled

I like to think of movies as 'cinematic children' created by the studios.

In every large family, there are children that get more attention-- and children that receive less attention.

The purpose of this thread is to examine, by studio, the overlooked films of classic Hollywood's great year, 1939.

Later today I am going to start with MGM. Most of the titles I mention will probably fall into the category of B-films, though there are some noteworthy exceptions-- some handsomely budgeted films that have been out of circulation for years.

MGM's Forgotten Ones of 1939

MGM released a total of 45 feature-length motion pictures in the year 1939. (Not counting short films here.)

BURN 'EM UP O'CONNOR was released in January, and it seldom if ever sees the light of day on TCM.

In February, MGM released FAST AND LOOSE. Ever heard of it?

icefollies39.jpg

March brought THE ICE FOLLIES OF 1939, which is probably the least known film of its stars, Joan Crawford and James Stewart. It may be a cold day on the ice before TCM airs it again.

SERGEANT MADDEN is a delightful Wallace Beery vehicle from March that casts him as a crusty old police sergeant (what else?). It also gives us Laraine Day in one of her first roles at the studio.

poster_of_lucky_night.jpg

Most of the April releases are fairly well known, but in May we have LUCKY NIGHT-- which stars Myrna Loy and Robert Taylor (second-billed after his leading lady). I may be in error, but I do not remember this one airing when Taylor was Star of the Month a few years ago.

May also has a comedy with Melvyn Douglas called TELL NO TALES. Where is it?

The June releases are known to modern audiences, but in July we have a picture called THEY ALL COME OUT. Please let this one come out of the vault.

In August, MGM released MIRACLES FOR SALE. It may take a miracle for us to see this one.

September has a thriller entitled BLACKMAIL.

October's offerings are not too obscure. And neither are November's.

3939983.jpg

But then there is December. Has anyone ever seen Ann Sothern, Walter Brennan and Lewis Stone in a Damon Runyon comedy from MGM called JOE AND ETHEL TURP CALL ON THE PRESIDENT...? The president of the title would obviously be FDR.

December also provides audiences with HENRY GOES ARIZONA, which plays periodically on TCM, but I do not think audiences remember it. Why not play it again, Sam?

TopBilled, thank you for doing this thread. I have not seen any of the movies that you listed. I am a Melvyn Douglas fan and would love to see "Tell No Tales." And I will watch for other '39 movies that I had no idea even existed. I will report on any I see. Thanks again!

Mimi

TopBilled, thank you for doing this thread. I have not seen any of the movies that you listed. I am a Melvyn Douglas fan and would love to see "Tell No Tales." And I will watch for other '39 movies that I had no idea even existed. I will report on any I see. Thanks again!

You are most welcome, Mimi.

As you see, I have started with MGM. There will be about ten major posts in this thread, covering the lesser known titles from each studio:

1. MGM
2. WARNERS
3. RKO
4. UNITED ARTISTS
5. COLUMBIA
6. MONOGRAM
7. 20TH CENTURY FOX
8. UNIVERSAL
9. PARAMOUNT
10. REPUBLIC

Warners' Forgotten Ones of 1939

Technically, from 1932 until 1960, output is by Warner Brothers First National. I will abbreviate and just call it Warners for our purposes. A total of 51 feature-length films were produced by this organization in the year 1939.

In January, we have three pictures. One of them, a Dick Powell musical, GOING PLACES, is often overlooked. Powell would soon leave Warners and head to Paramount.

In February, there are some B films that tend to fly under the radar: OFF THE RECORD; YES, MY DARLING DAUGHTER; and WINGS OF THE NAVY.

March titles are fairly well known. And most of April's offerings would be recognized by today's classic film audiences. Exceptions might be ADVENTURES OF JANE ARDEN, THE COWBOY QUARTERBACK and I AM NOT AFRAID-- all B films.

In May, we have a SWEEPSTAKES WINNER. Check your lucky ticket, TCM, and proceed to nearest monthly schedule to claim your prize (a waiting audience for this film).

June gives us HELL'S KITCHEN, one of the least underplayed in the Dead End Kids series.

In July, there is a film called WATERFRONT.

August offerings are well known. In September, we have EVERYBODY'S HOBBY. And quite frankly, I'm afraid to ask what it is!

October has an equestrian classic: PRIDE OF THE BLUEGRASS.

In November, Warners released two of the four Nancy Drew pictures starring Bonita Granville. I can't remember the last time they aired on TCM. We also have NO PLACE TO GO. And I can't think of a better place to go, but home, to watch TCM.

There is a seldom seen title, KID NIGHTINGALE, in the month of December. And there's one called WE ARE NOT ALONE. That's right, we are not alone, when it comes to our appreciation of TCM.

*I have heard of Fast and Loose, and I own a copy of The Ice Follies of 1939. I have also seen Lucky Night, Blackmail, and Sergant Madden.*

I have also seen all of these, and on TCM too, if I remember correctly.....FAST AND LOOSE, ICE FOLLIES and BLACKMAIL have been on in the last year or so.

PS - I also have these recorded on DVD, except for SM, which I have on VHS. I also have on VHS JOE AND ETHEL TURP....

Edited by: Arturo on Jun 13, 2013 2:41 PM

I have on DVD or VHS the following: GOING PLACES, YES, MY DARLING DAUGHTER; WINGS OF THE NAVY, HELL'S KITCHEN, KID NIGHTINGALE, and WE ARE NOT ALONE, which I believe was Paul Muni's last for the studio. Again, I think TCM has shown all of these in the last 2 or 3 years.

Arturo,

I think you are getting a little off track. The point of this thread is not to say that TCM never plays these films. I am sure many of them have aired at least once in the Channel's nearly 20 year history.

But rather, the point is that audiences may not know about these particular titles compared to the GONE WITH WINDs and the STAGECOACHes of 1939.

I do think that the discs offered by the folks at Warner Archives and Fox Cinema Archives will help create more awareness for these pictures, which have for many years been forgotten or overshadowed by the other major releases of this vintage year.

Also, no offense, but you are probably not the typical classic movie viewer. A lot of people do not have these titles recorded and may not even know that some of them exist. I do not think this thread will hurt. If anything, it should help! We are on the 'same team.' :)

I need to make a correction to one of my earlier posts. I thought GOING PLACES had a 1939 copyright. Guess what! It does not. It premiered on December 31, 1938. So by a few hours, it is not a 1939 release. Sorry about the error. But it's still a worthwhile film to check out.

Tomorrow, I will get to RKO in 1939...

I have seen We Are Not Alone. It is about a man with good intentions that go awry and is a really well done film. I am not a Paul Muni fan, but I do think he was a good actor. It is a haunting story with a simple theme song running through it. Once you hear that song, the melody stays with you for a long time. I look forward to seeing this again

I have seen We Are Not Alone. It is about a man with good intentions that go awry and is a really well done film.

Thanks for your comment. This is one of the few Paul Muni films I have not seen. Now you have me hoping it will be on TCM's September schedule!

RKO's Forgotten Ones of 1939

RKO had 48 feature-length films in theatres during the year 1939. Some of them like GUNGA DIN or LOVE AFFAIR are very well known today and cherished by classic movie lovers. Yet there are quite a few other titles that do not get the recognition that they deserve.

1go.png
In January, the studio released two features: THE GREAT MAN VOTES with John Barrymore and Virginia Weidler; and ARIZONA LEGION, with George O'Brien. O'Brien would make six B-westerns for RKO in 1939. The Barrymore picture is directed by Garson Kanin and particularly funny.

In February, RKO treated movie-goers to four new feature films. Among them are BOY SLAVES, with former child actress Anne Shirley; and FISHERMAN'S WHARF, which features young singer Bobby Breen. Almost all of Breen's films are forgotten today, and it's a shame. The month also saw the release of a Lucille Ball comedy entitled BEAUTY FOR THE ASKING.

1beauty.png

During March, Lucille Ball starred in her next RKO picture: TWELVE CROWDED HOURS, with Richard Dix. Other films that came out this month include: TROUBLE IN SUNDOWN, a George O'Brien B-western; THEY MADE HER A SPY, a thriller; and what is probably the least played Rogers-Astaire musical, THE STORY OF VERNON AND IRENE CASTLE, which would be their last at RKO.

In April, RKO released a film called THE FLYING IRISHMAN. Ever heard of it? And the studio made two cute B films with child star Virginia Weidler on loan out from MGM-- FIXER DUGAN, starring Lee Tracy; and THE ROOKIE COP, starring Tim Holt. Weidler always gives a good performance, especially for this studio.

1shouse.png
Anne Shirley is back in April with her next picture, one called SORORITY HOUSE. Lucille Ball is back, too, in one of my favorites of hers from this time period-- PANAMA LADY, which costars Allan Lane. And George O'Brien hits the trail in RACKETEERS OF THE RANGE.

June gives us five releases. THE GIRL FROM MEXICO is a laugh riot with Lupe Velez, which pretty much establishes her comic Spitfire character. Other titles worth mentioning are TIMBER STAMPEDE, a George O'Brien B-western; and something called THE GIRL AND THE GAMBLER.

51404ambmyl-_sy300_.jpg
Bobby Breen goes WAY DOWN SOUTH for RKO in July. And freelancer Lee Tracy is back for an interesting picture called THE SPELLBINDER.

Years before Martin Sheen and Sissy Spacek starred in their version, we have RKO's BAD LANDS during the month of August. And the studio also released another O'Brien B-western called THE FIGHTING ****.

1edith.png
NURSE EDITH CAVELL has dropped by to take our temperature in September. And we may need a priest to make a FULL CONFESSION. Especially after seeing THE DAY THE BOOKIES WEPT, with Joe Penner and Betty Grable.

EVERYTHING'S ON ICE in October, though I am not sure if the title is referring to a skating party or a mixed drink. Maybe both!

1drc.png
In November, George O'Brien returns as THE MARSHAL OF MESA CITY. Meanwhile, Kay Kyser makes his first film, costarring Lucille Ball and May Robson-- THAT'S RIGHT YOU'RE WRONG (my favorite RKO title of all time). And then, Jean Hersholt begins the first in his series of films about a country doctor, with MEET MR. CHRISTIAN. Mr. Hersholt also starred in a radio version as this character.

Finally, we wrap up 1939 at RKO with Richard Dix working in RENO. And there are other titles worth mentioning: TWO THOROUGHBREDS and ESCAPE TO PARADISE. Let's escape to TCM and rediscover some of 1939's forgotten ones.

UA's Forgotten Ones of 1939

United Artists typically has less output than other studios during this era. Productions come from people like Mary Pickford, Charlie Chaplin, Hal Roach, Samuel Goldwyn, David Selznick, Walter Wanger, Alexander Korda and Edward Small. During the year 1939, UA released 19 feature-length motion pictures. None were made by either Pickford or Chaplin this year.

Most of these titles are well-known today, though I must admit there are a few I have never seen. I am going to list the entire UA slate for '39 and provide commentary:

JANUARY. TOPPER TAKES A TRIP. This one is very well-known-- the second of three based on Thorne Smith's popular Cosmo Topper character. The producer is Hal Roach.

1king.png
FEBRUARY. David Selznick released MADE FOR EACH OTHER, starring Carole Lombard and James Stewart. And Edward Small gives us KING OF THE TURF. This is one I had never heard of before, and as I was conducting research, I learned that it had a heavy promotional campaign, involving a brand of children's cereal. Adolphe Menjou stars.

MARCH. STAGECOACH. This film is one of the top draws of 1939. Of course, 20th Century Fox bought the rights to it later and remade it with Bing Crosby in the 1960s. Don't ask why!

APRIL. Goldwyn's masterful adaptation of WUTHERING HEIGHTS hits the screen, and Roach produces a delightful comedy called ZENOBIA, which features Oliver Hardy without his famous partner-- this time he teams up with an elephant. The month also saw the release of PRISON WITHOUT BARS, from Alexander Korda. This one features an early appearance by Glynis Johns; it is a crime film based on an earlier French production.

MAY. Roach cranked out an action picture called CAPTAIN FURY, starring Victor Mature.

1man1.png
JULY. Small hands us THE MAN IN THE IRON MASK. And there is another film this month called WINTER CARNIVAL, which I have never seen. It most certainly is a forgotten film of 1939.

AUGUST. The British bring THE FOUR FEATHERS to American shores. And Sam Goldwyn decrees that on behalf of American movie audiences, THEY SHALL HAVE MUSIC (starring Joel McCrea and Andrea Leeds).

1939_intermezzo.jpg
SEPTEMBER. While David Selznick was busy preparing his famous adaptation of Margaret Mitchell's novel, he managed to produce INTERMEZZO, a remake of a Swedish film starring Ingrid Bergman. This would be Miss Bergman's first film in English, made in Hollywood. She appeared in the Swedish version, and remembering how her earlier costar handled his props, she coached Leslie Howard on how to look like he was playing the violin, when in actuality, he was not. Howard receives a producing credit for this film. Call me blasphemous, but I like this simple yet effective film better than the much more showy GONE WITH THE WIND.

September also brings Sam Goldwyn's THE REAL GLORY, starring Gary Cooper.

1hd.png
OCTOBER. Walter Wanger recycles a lot of his on-location footage from TRADE WINDS for a romantic comedy called ETERNALLY YOURS, starring David Niven and Loretta Young. Meanwhile, Hal Roach is back with Victor Mature in THE HOUSEKEEPER'S DAUGHTER. The title character is played by Joan Bennett, wife of Walter Wanger.

NOVEMBER. There were no UA releases.

DECEMBER. There were three releases this month. They include: SLIGHTLY HONORABLE; RAFFLES; and OF MICE AND MEN. The second one is a remake of an earlier Ronald Colman-Kay Francis picture. The Steinbeck adaptation is directed by Lewis Milestone and it would be nominated for the Best Picture Oscar, losing to some little film about a plantation in Atlanta.

I may be jumping the gun a bit, but I have always liked Fox's HEAVEN WITH A BARBED WIRE FENCE. A neat little programmer with Glen Ford. Directed by former leading man Ricardo Cortez.

Yes, you are getting ahead of me. I plan to cover 20th Century Fox in a few days. I will definitely mention HEAVEN WITH A BARBED WIRE FENCE.

I look forward to reading the Fox entries.

Fox has a lot of forgotten B films. Arturo can probably explain why, since he is more familiar with the politics and the marketing campaigns of that studio. Fox Movie Channel used to play some of them, such as the many Jones Family pictures, but I have not seen those lately. FMC still airs a few of the Michael Shayne mysteries starring Lloyd Nolan. At any rate, I will do my best to cover the ones that today's audiences may be less familiar with, since they are not often in circulation and have not all been released through the Fox Cinema Archives yet.

Monogram's Forgotten Ones of 1939

Monogram has 39 feature-length motion pictures in 1939. Its largest output occurs in March with seven releases, though there are other months where the studio has six new pictures before the masses. The major stars at Monogram during this calender year are often singing cowboys, like Tex Ritter and Addison Randall (pictured below).

images5.jpeg

In addition, Boris Karloff has been hired for a series and Frankie Darro makes some teen-friendly fare. Overall, Monogram offers considerable variety in its productions, and occasionally it attracts big names like Fay Wray, Rex Harrison and Charles Bickford to make a motion picture for the studio in 1939.

In January, Monogram has two releases. One is an oater with Addison Randall called DRIFTING WESTWARD; and the other is CONVICT'S CODE, with leading lady Anne Nagel. Miss Nagel appears in other Monogram product during the months ahead.

February brings three new Monogram pictures. One of them stars Fay Wray and Grant Withers, with both stars trying to unravel NAVY SECRETS. Another is called STAR REPORTER with Marsha Hunt. The other is SUNDOWN ON THE PRAIRIE, starring Tex Ritter (father of John Ritter). Tex makes six films at Monogram in 1939, all of them westerns.

Let's go to March. Tex Ritter has another release, ROLLIN' WESTWARD. Boris Karloff turns up in THE MYSTERY OF MR. WONG.

1marj.png
Marjorie Reynolds makes the first of six pictures for Monogram this year, appearing in MYSTERY PLANE with John Trent. Addison Randall is back with TRIGGER SMITH; and Grant Withers stops by local theatres with LURE OF THE WASTELAND. This also happens to be the month that Rex Harrison and Valerie Hobson team up for CONTINENTAL EXPRESS, in a British production for Monogram.

James Stephenson is WANTED BY SCOTLAND YARD in April; while Jackie Cooper can be found along those dangerous STREETS OF NEW YORK. Tex Ritter is THE MAN FROM TEXAS; and Russell Gleason takes on the duties of an UNDERCOVER AGENT with Shirley Deane.

1boys.png
In May, Frankie Darro appears in BOYS' REFORMATORY, with a title that pretty much explains the plot. John Carroll costars with Movita for WOLF CALL. And then there's Ben Lyon in a British production asking the immortal question, WHO IS GUILTY?

tex_ritter1.jpg
Addison Randall rides ACROSS THE PLAINS in June, around the same time that Tex Ritter heads DOWN THE WYOMING TRAIL. Anne Nagel is back, asking a question all her own: SHOULD A GIRL MARRY?

In July, John Trent returns as a STUNT PILOT, and Johnny Downs has taken on the identity of a BAD BOY.

mrwonginchinatown1939dvd.gif
Boris Karloff brings us the latest installment in his series, with MR. WONG IN CHINATOWN. Movita proves that she is Monogram's Latin American sensation as a GIRL FROM RIO. Tex Ritter saddles up again for RIDERS OF THE FRONTIER; while Addison Randall investigates some good old-fashioned OKLAHOMA TERROR. Frankie Darro fans can take heart that he's back at Monogram, starring in IRISH LUCK; while Polly Ann Young (sister of Loretta) headlines PORT OF HATE.

There is only one new Monogram picture in September: SKY PATROL, with John Trent and Marjorie Reynolds.

mutiny.jpg
There is also only one new production in October. It's MUTINY IN THE BIG HOUSE, with Charles Bickford and Barton MacLane costarring together in an intense prison drama.

Monogram has four new releases out in theatres in Noveber. This time Addison Randall is busy taking care of the OVERLAND MAIL. James Newill is FIGHTING MAD with Sally Blane (another sister of Loretta Young). John Trent and Marjorie Reynolds fasten their seat belts for DANGER FLIGHT. And Dick Purcell is among those gallant HEROES IN BLUE.

crashing-thru-james-newill-dvd-cover-art
Finally, there are three new films from the studio in December. James Newill returns with something called CRASHING THRU. Tex Ritter is looking after the WESTBOUND STAGE. And Dusty King drops by in a nice little picture called THE GENTLEMAN FROM ARIZONA.

Columbia's Forgotten Ones of 1939

Columbia Pictures is represented by 38 feature films in the year 1939. The two most spectacular hits for the studio are ONLY ANGELS HAVE WINGS and MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON, which was a nominee for Best Picture Oscar. But there are other great, lesser known offerings, too.

Charles Starrett appears in the most productions, nine of them-- all B westerns. One of the studio's most successful comedy series, BLONDIE, is in full swing. Also, Melvyn Douglas, whose contract is shared with MGM, is on hand for three sophisticated comedies.

1there.png
In January, Columbia releases four films. Rita Hayworth is paired with Bruce Cabot for HOMICIDE BUREAU; and James Craig is paired with Betty Furness in NORTH OF SHANGHAI. Melvyn Douglas makes eyes with Virginia Bruce in THERE'S THAT WOMAN AGAIN; while Charles Starrett experiences the life of THE THUNDERING WEST.

Charles Starrett is back in February for TEXAS STAMPEDE; while Julie Bishop and Alan Baxter face facts in MY SON IS A CRIMINAL.

0113000261797_210x270.jpg
Charles Bickford enjoys the ROMANCE OF THE REDWOODS with Jean Parker in March. Meanwhile, BLONDIE MEETS THE BOSS and LET US LIVE premieres with Henry Fonda and Maureen O'Sullivan in the leads. And Charles Starrett heads NORTH OF THE YUKON for more wild adventures.

In April, Fay Bainter and Ida Lupino headline THE LADY AND THE MOB with Evelyn Keyes and Elsa Lanchester; Walter Abel and Beverly Roberts deal with FIRST OFFENDERS; and Charles Starrett concentrates on SPOILERS OF THE RANGE.

1miss.png
Chester Morris stars as Boston **** in BLIND ALLEY with Ralph Bellamy. Richard Arlen and Rochelle Hudson are trying to locate some MISSING DAUGHTERS.

Three films are released in June. Among them are PARENTS ON TRIAL, with Jean Parker and Johnny Downs; Charles Starrett in WESTERN CARAVANS; and Melvyn Douglas with Joan Blondell who discover that GOOD GIRLS GO TO PARIS.

1bl.png
In July, Brian Donlevy stars with Julie Bishop in BEHIND PRISON GATES. And it's time for Penny Singleton and Arthur Lake to return to the screen when BLONDIE TAKES A VACATION.

iconskarloff3.jpg
August is a busy month for Columbia. Ralph Bellamy is back with Randolph Scott working for the COAST GUARD. Fred Stone and Rochelle Hudson try to tame KONGA, THE WILD STALLION. Charles Starrett stars in RIDERS OF BLACK RIVER. And not surprisingly, Boris Karloff is THE MAN THEY COULD NOT HANG. Rounding out the month is Edith Fellows in the first of her series, FIVE LITTLE PEPPERS AND HOW THEY GREW.

September means the film debut of William Holden as a GOLDEN BOY. It also means Walter Connolly is dealing with THOSE HIGH GREY WALLS, and that Charles Starrett is stationed at the OUTPOST OF THE MOUNTIES.

1woman.png
Otto Kruger appears in two Columbia releases in November. First, he and Ona Munson are involved with a SCANDAL SHEET; then he squares off with Frieda Inescort in A WOMAN IS THE JUDGE.

November brings two new Columbia pictures. First, we have Melvyn Douglas as THE AMAZING MR. WILLIAMS, again with Joan Blondell as his costar. Then, it's time for Penny Singleton and Arthur Lake in BLONDIE BRINGS UP BABY.

1cs.png
Charles Starret returns in December with two films: THE STRANGER FROM TEXAS and TWO-FISTED RANGERS. Meanwhile, Bill Elliott saddles up for THE TAMING OF THE WEST. And Julie Bishop stars with Glenn Ford in MY SON IS GUILTY.

20th Century Fox's Forgotten Ones of 1939

In the year 1939, there are 53 feature films from 20th Century Fox. A fair number of these offerings are B films. For example, there are the Charlie Chan titles starring Sidney Toler as well as the Mr. Moto series with Peter Lorre. Also, a batch of B films are produced with child star Jane Withers. And there is the Jones Family output which has begun a year earlier and pairs Jed Prouty with Spring Byington.

Of course, there are many big budget films produced by 20th Century Fox during this calendar year. The studio continues to feature Sonja Henie in vehicles specifically designed to showcase her skating talents. In addition the studio features well-known entertainers like Alice Faye, Al Jolson and the Ritz Brothers in many successful pictures.

January. During the first month of 1939, there are three releases. One is a Charlie Chan film, and another is a Mr. Moto film. Sandwiched in between these offerings is the well-known Jesse James bio with Tyrone Power and Henry Fonda.

1az1.png
In February, Jane Withers is cast in the first of four pictures she will make this year. It is called THE ARIZONA WILDCAT and costars Leo Carrillo. Don Ameche and the Ritz Brothers appear in THE THREE MUSKETEERS, a fairly well-known title. And then there is TAIL SPIN, about lady flyers, with Alice Faye and Constant Bennett. The studio's B-film queen, Lynn Bari, is on hand with PARDON OUR NERVE.

During the month of March, Shirley Temple has a well-known release (THE LITTLE PRINCESS); and Loretta Young pairs up with Warner Baxter in the delightful WIFE, HUSBAND AND FRIEND. Lesser known films include INSIDE STORY with Michael Whalen and Jean Rogers and EVERYBODY'S BABY, a Jones Family feature. Basil Rathbone, meanwhile, makes his first appearance as Sherlock Holmes in THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES.

1winner.png
In April, it's WINNER TAKE ALL with Tony Martin and Gloria Stuart. Peter Lorre is back as MR. MOTO IN DANGER ISLAND. Don Ameche and Loretta Young call for a hit in THE STORY OF ALEXANDER GRAHAM BELL. And Warner Baxter stars in the RETURN OF THE CISCO KID.

1gorilla.png
Tyrone Power and Alice Faye team up with Al Jolson in May. Jane Withers is back looking for a BOY FRIEND. The Ritz Brothers headline all by themselves in THE GORILLA. And Preston Foster is CHASING DANGER with Lynn Bari.

Shirley's back in June in a picture about the Canadian mounties. It's time to catch THE JONES FAMILY IN HOLLYWOOD and CHARLIE CHAN IN RENO. Henry Fonda goes to work for John Ford as a young future president. Sonja Henie returns with her favorite SECOND FIDDLE Tyrone Power. And Stu Erwin declares that IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU. I do not know what 'it could' be.

1news.png
July. MR. MOTO TAKES A VACATION with Peter Lorre and Joseph Schildkraut. Preston Foster is reteamed with Lynn Bari, this time telling viewers that the most important NEWS IS MADE AT NIGHT. Then there's Randolph Scott and Nancy Kelly in the remake of FRONTIER MARSHAL.

In August Nancy Kelly is on screen again, this time with Spencer Tracy in STANLEY AND LIVINGSTONE. Jane Withers leads the CHICKEN WAGON FAMILY. And the Joneses think they have found some QUICK MILLIONS; while Ann Sothern and Linda Darnell check into Elsa Maxwell's HOTEL FOR WOMEN.

1here.jpg
During the month of September there are five releases. Basil Rathbone and Ida Lupino are immersed in criminal activity with THE ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES. Myrna Loy is visiting from MGM and starring with Tyrone Power and George Brent. Richard Greene and Richard Dix costar in HERE I AM A STRANGER. And Jean Rogers is cast in STOP, LOOK AND LOVE with William Frawley.

October. Kane Richmond stars in THE ESCAPE; the talents of Alice Faye and Don Ameche are on display in HOLLYWOOD CAVALCADE; Gracie Fields appears in the British production SHIPYARD SALLY; Jane Withers is working with the Ritz Brothers in PACK UP YOUR TROUBLES; and Randolph Scott costars with Preston Foster in 20,000 MEN A YEAR.

1wire.png
In November, Glenn Ford and Richard Conte need all the prayers they can get for HEAVEN WITH A BARBED WIRE FENCE; Claudette Colbert and Henry Fonda have been hired for John Ford's DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK with Edna May Oliver; the Jones Family is TOO BUSY TO WORK; and Tyrone Power takes a DAY-TIME WIFE in the form of Linda Darnell.

Finally, in December, there are six pictures. There is yet another Chan entry; another Cisco Kid entry, this time with Cesar Romero taking over for Warner Baxter who instead appears in BARRICADE with Alice Faye; something called THE HONEYMOON'S OVER with Stu Erwin; SWANEE RIVER with Don Ameche and Al Jolson; and Sonja Henie stars with Ray Milland in EVERYTHING HAPPENS AT NIGHT. Everything exciting happens in the world of classic film.

Very impressive thread, TopBilled. No doubt you did your homework in creating it. The information you provide is very interesting to movie buffs like myself and I love the movie posters.

Looking forward to seeing more goodies.

plan to cover 20th Century Fox in a few days. I will definitely mention HEAVEN WITH A BARBED WIRE FENCE.

I believe this one is coming on FMC in the next several days.

*Fox has a lot of forgotten B films. Arturo can probably explain why, since he is more familiar with the politics and the marketing campaigns of that studio. Fox Movie Channel used to play some of them, such as the many Jones Family pictures, but I have not seen those lately. FMC still airs a few of the Michael Shayne mysteries starring Lloyd Nolan.*

Well, in general most B films from any studio are forgotten, except maybe by coinousseurs or fans of a given artist. Why this is so probably has to do with the fact that they were made as filler to the top of the bill title, which would get the promotional push, and maybe, some lasting recognition. Then again, outlets for them to be seen are very few, TCM being one of them. Even they relegate them usually to odd hours.

There has been at least one Jones Family film shown on FMC a few times in the last year or so. Fox shows a few other of their late 30s-early 40s Bs, always in the early morning hours. Since Fox developed its split personality on New Year's Day last year, their showing of their classic era movies, seemingly never a priority for several years, got cut in half.