Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

war movie with stray puppy

MareyMac

I remember a scene from a war movie and cannot remember any other part of it. It's a black and white movie set during WWII so it's possibly from the 50s or 60s.

A group of GIs is in some bombed out European city (Germany?). One of the soliders befriends a small white dog, or puppy. They are put in the back of an army truck and the soldier tries to take the dog with him but is told to leave it behind. The dog chases after the truck as it pulls away, running faster and faster as the truck picks up speed. He's told the best thing to do is shoot the dog as it will only starve to death on it own. He's overcome with emotion and says he can't do it, finally he (or someone else?) aims a rifle and kills the dog.

"The Victors" is a deeply dark and disturbing war film. Audiences were not use to this kind of WW 2 film in 1963. Besides the killing of the puppy, you had White G.I.'s beating up Black G.I.'s. Soldiers involved in the Black market. One of the most nerve jarring scenes was the execution of a American deserter. Private Eddie Slovik was the only American soldier shot for desertion since the Civil War. In the film a squad of G.I.'s are ordered to witness his death by firing squad. As he is led to a snow covered field with Frank Sinatra singing voice over "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas", The soldier is executed. There were many other scenes that shook you up as it was suppose to do.. I saw this film when it opened in 1963 in Times Square and it stayed with me for a long time. Very well made, but uncomfortable to watch. This is the only film Carl Forman ever directed...

I have no memory of any of the other scenes but the one the puppy really stuck with me. Now I want to watch it, but this seems to be a hard to find film. There appears there's no N.American DVD release from Columbia but it is in the TCM library. I'll have to put in a request for it.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings