Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sci-fi not film noir favors technicolor


Recommended Posts

Film noir is by the definition of most a crime drama with shadowy B&W cinematography so I say go the science fiction color route. Sci-fi Fridays starting with the great technicolor classics like George Pal's War of the Worlds and William Alland's This Island Earth as well as Pal's other classics like When Worlds Collide and Destination Moon. Put aside a nite to highlight the two-color process cinecolor classics like Unknown Island and Flight To Mars and William Cameron Menzies' Invaders From Mars shot in SuperCinecolor. :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wait! Destination MOON ya say, Fly?!

 

Dude, if you think I was being hard on WB's technical staff about that whole "no air intake" thing in that BOGART test pilot flick last night, then just WAIT 'til I go off about how they have Dick Wesson here...

 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQOa6thZNBVLgchTCS4Gn

 

...play that clueless astronaut who once they get out in space didn't have a freakin' CLUE about the concept of WEIGHTLESSNESS up there!!!

 

LOL

 

(...actually though, it IS a pretty entertaining and REASONABLY well made movie)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh yeah, THAT would've helped, alright!

 

I can see it all now.

 

As the spacecraft re-enters Earth's atmosphere, Wesson says to the others, "Hey! How come it's gettin' so HOT in here, HUH?!"

 

And then John Archer replies, "Well ya see Joe, the atmospheric molecules are striking the outside skin of our spacecraft which because of friction...saaay...ya know guys, the very FIRST thing I'm gonna do when we land back on Earth is contact the guy who was in charge of picking this team and give HIM a piece of my mind about this dummy here, 'cause "comic relief" or not, I'm SO tired of explaining everything to this idiot!!!"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=Dargo2 wrote:}{quote}

> And then John Archer replies, "Well ya see Joe, the atmospheric molecules are striking the outside skin of our spacecraft which because of friction...

 

I would not know whether to laugh at such a statement to explain heating or to pity such ignorance.

 

I would expect any person involved in such travel to know that heating is due to the compression of the air.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So Sans, in that set-up for my little joke there, was I incorrect about the causation for the heat build-up upon a spacecraft's re-entry to Earth?

 

(...and if I WAS, then just remember it WAS all thanks to that German dude we got a hold of before YOU folks did is the ONLY reason we beat YOU GUYS to the MOON!!!) ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=Dargo2 wrote:}{quote}

> was I incorrect about the causation for the heat build-up upon a spacecraft's re-entry to Earth?

 

Your comment that friction is involved is the perception held in common by lay people. A person in a movie who is involved in space travel should know the real cause is compression of air.

 

It is not easy for me to find explanations which are not based on finite-analysis of specific shapes. They are all couched in terms which I understand in context but which I can not properly explain.

 

I was able to find this:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110512224202AAWJ60j

It explains in part:

"As an object encounters the atmosphere, air cannot move out of the way due to the hypersonic velocity, and instead it piles up ahead of the object and compresses into a shock wave. The gases there are compressed rapidly enough to heat up to 20,000 degrees or more, and because of that the radiant heat from the shock wave starts to heat up the incoming object."

 

It is in the same way that the fuel and air mixture in the cylinder of a diesel engine is heated by compression to such a degree that it begins to burn.

 

Such compression is useful also in less technical ways:

 

 

> (...and if I WAS, then just remember it WAS all thanks to that German dude we got a hold of before YOU folks did is the ONLY reason we beat YOU GUYS to the MOON!!!) ;)

 

"Our German scientists are better than your German scientists" ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for this most interesting and enlightening correction to the misconception I harbored regarding the heat of re-entry, Sans! You really DO know your stuff, alright!

 

I guess this just goes to show ya that back in the day the Odessa Unified School District(once again, in the Ukraine, NOT the Lone Star State) was INDEED a whole lot better in educating THEIR charges than was the Los Angeles Unified School District from which I received what I suppose could very loosely be called an "education"! ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

A person in a movie about space travel WOULDN'T have a CLUE as to the cause of heat build up upon a spacecraft's re-entry. He might not even have a clue as to what makes his TOILET FLUSH! He takes his check and reads his script.

 

 

And the movie going audience, for the most part, couldn't care less...

 

 

You too, Sans, must be that "life of the party" I hear about: "Hey, SANS! Do you want the ABSOLUT, or STOLI?

 

 

(Sans then begins a lenghty discourse detailing the distilling proccess used in making vodka, and fails to notice the ROOM has cleared out!) ;)

 

 

Sepiatone

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Don't forget Joe was primarily a radio technician and they had to bring him along because the other guy caught apendicitis from eating little green apples. :^0

 

> {quote:title=Dargo2 wrote:}{quote}Wait! *Destination MOON* ya say, Fly?!

>

> Dude, if you think I was being hard on WB's technical staff about that whole "no air intake" thing in that BOGART test pilot flick last night, then just WAIT 'til I go off about how they have Dick Wesson here...

>

> images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQOa6thZNBVLgchTCS4Gn

>

> ...play that clueless astronaut who once they get out in space didn't have a freakin' CLUE about the concept of WEIGHTLESSNESS up there!!!

>

> LOL

>

> (...actually though, it IS a pretty entertaining and REASONABLY well made movie)

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=Sepiatone wrote:}{quote}

> A person in a movie about space travel WOULDN'T have a CLUE as to the cause of heat build up upon a spacecraft's re-entry.

 

Sigh! This is what occurs when I try to write in the style of conversation which by its nature lacks precision.

 

I believe a *character* in a movie which contains space travel should appear to know facts and not relate a misperception.

 

> (Sans then begins a lenghty discourse detailing the distilling proccess used in making vodka

 

I am happy to say that you are very wrong in this! I was taught at an early age to make good vodka and I have never revealed our family secrets. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=Sa}{quote}

> > (...and if I WAS, then just remember it WAS all thanks to that German dude we got a hold of before YOU folks did is the ONLY reason we beat YOU GUYS to the MOON!!!) ;)

> "Our German scientists are better than your German scientists" ;)

*German scientist: "I had in mind a jimp." Johnson: "Now just what in the hell..is a jimp? German scientist: A chimp, senator. A chimpanzee! Hurrumph!"* :^0 :^0 :^0

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

I see your point, Sans. And I DO agree. But I'm willing to bet that many people who go to see these kind of movies, or WENT to see them back then, WEREN'T well versed in the science of still-in-it's-infancy space travel. Plus, let's consider the facts YOU know about it all WEREN'T that well known at the time. IF, perhaps, you went back to the year that movie was made, and started talking about HEART TRANSPLANTS, or pills that would treat ED, you'd be treated to big wads of scepticism. At the time that movie was made, they were STILL treating pnuemonia with STEAM VAPORIZORS instead of COOL MIST, and yanking out tonsils indiscriminately.

 

 

And didn't many people consider DICK WESSON to be sort of a "poor man's" HUMPHREY BOGART? (who himself was once considered a poor man's GEORGE RAFT?)

 

 

Sepiatone

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=Sepiatone wrote:}{quote}

>Plus, let's consider the facts YOU know about it all WEREN'T that well known at the time.

 

I apologize if this is pedantic but the facts were known and widely available in the late 19th Century.

 

It was in study of bullets going faster than the speed of sound showing deformation by heat that led first to the belief that it was caused by friction but Ernst Mach identified shock waves forming due to air compression causing heat and other disturbances.

 

His work on this was published prior to the year 1890. Science fiction writers knew it and had to show it when appropriate because many of the readers of the literature were scientists or scientifically-oriented and they loudly cried foul when there was a mistake in the science part of science fiction.

 

It is the fault of hack directors who would not hire knowledgeable science fiction writers that the myth of friction causing heat became widely established.

 

:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...