Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TomJH

DARK PASSAGE

Sorry, my mistake for having confused the photo in Dark Passage to which NoraCharles had referred. In fact, I have a little difficulty recalling that there was more than one newpaper photo shown in the film.

Here's a picture of director Daves working with his two Dark Passage stars:

0705dfdd-870a-40b8-bff2-a18449810de6_zps

However, if imdb claims that the photo of the pre-surgery Parry (notice the correct spelling?) was character actor Frank Wilcox then, unless Wilcox had some kind of makeup applied, they have their facts wrong. Here is a photo I found of Wilcox:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcROyUbVKltBRAHuBzth80t

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-KoOgySuOXUC1aqhqvUP

On second thought, maybe it is Wilcox, at that. (By the way Wilcox is also listed on imdb as having played a hotel clerk in Dead Reckoning, as well).

It's a younger picture of him, I think (or they air brushed out all the lines!) taken from a different angle...

And here's a THIRD theory here:

Wilcox had gone to see that same back-alley Plastic Surgeon that Parry went to, and he had himself made to look older TOO!

(...yep, I guess you folks didn't know that early on in the P/S field, people actually went to see those doctors in hopes of looking 10-15 years OLDER and not 10-15 years YOUNGER like they do today...weird huh!)

SURE they did, Twink!

I guess you didn't know that one of the very actresses in this very movie had this very procedure of looking older done on HERSELF!

(...uh huh...Agnes Moorehead was ONLY 23 YEARS OLD when they filmed this movie!)

;)

She didn't have plastic surgery done to' Look ' 10-15 yrs OLDER !

Like Mary Astor, she probably looked a LOT older then her real age ! ...You know, that "Matronly Look"!

Twink

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}Addison, I was hoping you were going to leap to the defence of *Dead Reckoning*, after my dismissive assesment of it. :(

I'll defend it. It's a great noir. There's lots of action, and mystery. But, the plot really isn't that complicated. Bogart is trying to exonerate and avenge his war buddy.

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}... (about "Dead Reckoning")

> I'll defend it. It's a great noir. There's lots of action, and mystery. But, the plot really isn't that complicated. Bogart is trying to exonerate and avenge his war buddy.

Well, I did get that part of it, Val baby. It's the rest of the movie that I found overly-complicated.

Something good to say about it: I loved the bad guy, "Martinelli". Something about him made me think of Richard Conte - the silky soft voice full of menace, maybe.

> {quote:title=Dargo2 wrote:}{quote}SURE they did, Twink!

>

> I guess you didn't know that one of the very actresses in this very movie had this very procedure of looking older done on HERSELF!

>

>

> (...uh huh...Agnes Moorehead was ONLY 23 YEARS OLD when they filmed this movie!)

>

>

> ;)

>

Hell, that's nothing.Warner Brothers grabbed Lauren Bacall right after her Bat Mitzvah, and put her in To Have and Have Not just a few months after that. Which means she was only 14 when Dark Passage was released two years later.

Don't believe me? Here's her first WB publicity photo, right before she was chosen for THAHN and turned over to the makeup crew:

3376470274_1209eb5622_z.jpg?zz=1

I wonder if Ms. Bacall (who lives a few blocks away from me) had a "bat" mitzvah. She's Jewish, of course, but in those days it wasn't that common for girls to have them. And if they had had them, they would have called them "bas" mitzvahs then.