Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Memorial Tribute to those scheduled films now under water

musikone

I propose that we have a memorial tribute to those potentially interesting and rarely (if ever) shown films that have been tossed iinto the muddy waters of the swimming queen.

I have seen all of these all-wet films and can't stand to see them yet again. So I won't. Nor will I see what I had hoped to see.

This is par for the coarse, of course.

musikone

(sour notes today)

At least you're creative.

I think we can suffer through this. Some of these films are quite fun to watch! And thankfully, Esther Williams did not appear in A FACE IN THE CROWD, SOME LIKE IT HOT or LAWRENCE OF ARABIA-- or else those would have been scheduled again, even sooner than they normally are.

When TCM bumps a film for a tribute, they usually reschedule it within three or four months. My guess is these films will turn up again in September or October. Tributes are a no-win situation for TCM, some people complain if they bump films and do one and others complain if they don't.

Esther could have had a role in "The Creature From The Black Lagoon" or "Jaws" . Lets see how fast she could swim ;) Anyway, while I am not a big fan of "swim" films , Esther was a major star, had lots of fans, and deserved a tribute. No problem here.

I don't think anyone could say it better than you just did.

( Although I do add that- from seeing her in interviews and such- she seems like she was a helluva fun lady to know. And from watching bits and pieces of last night's tribute I'll toss in she was a solid actress, a gorgeous woman, and (unless she was dubbed- which is possible)- a good singer too. )

ps- OMG- *LOVE* your idea about Jaws/ The Creature. They *genuinely* should have done that (I know Esther spread the tale around for years that she was the first choice for Belle Rosen in The Poseidon Adventure, which again, I think would've been a great idea: no fooling.)

I always thought Williams to be a solid enough actress to handle movie roles that DIDN'T involve her swimming 2/3 the way through one. I'm guessing the studio suits felt that attribute was the "money maker", and kept feeding her roles that called for it. What a waste of talent. She DID do a few movies where she didn't swim, didn't she?

Sepiatone

> {quote:title=musikone wrote:}{quote}I propose that we have a memorial tribute to those potentially interesting and rarely (if ever) shown films that have been tossed iinto the muddy waters of the swimming queen.

>

> I have seen all of these all-wet films and can't stand to see them yet again. So I won't. Nor will I see what I had hoped to see.

>

> This is par for the coarse, of course.

>

> musikone

> (sour notes today)

>

Bitter much? Damn, give the lady some respect!

But thanks for setting precedent. Next time there's a Judy Garland tribute I know I can start a thread where I can discuss the effects of her films on my digestive system.

Esther could have had a role in "The Creature From The Black Lagoon" or "Jaws" . Lets see how fast she could swim ;)

She goes into some detail in her book about how fast she could swim, since she could outswim Johnny Weissmuller when they were together in the Aquacade. After every show he would race her out of the line of sight of the audience to take off his trunks and try to expose his manly parts to her. She beat him every time. She later asked Maureen O'Sullivan if he'd tried that with her. "Did he try to show it to you?" she asked. Maureen said, "Yes." Esther asked, "What did you do?" Maureen said, "I let him."

Esther later admitted that what she wrote about Jeff Chandler in her book was not true. It was done to increase sales apparently.

That seems strange, because Gordon MacRae's wife wrote in a letter to a national magazine which had excerpted the book that it could be a mistake, and maybe Esther confused a polka-dotted bathrobe for an expensive dress. She was very angry that Esther had said anything to impugn Chandler's masculinity, particularly when he had children who would read it.

Esther wrote back, and it was in the magazine's "Letters" section next month, emphasizing that what she had said was the absolute truth, that she hadn't confused anything, and that she wouldn't have said it unless it were true. She said she had been there and she knew what had happened between them. She appeared quite indignant that anyone would question her about it.

Rumors circulate, but I saw both letters in print, and she convinced me.

I think a lot of people took offense with Esther's claims about Jeff Chandler. Personally, I do not get that vibe from him at all. Dan Dailey, yes. But not Jeff Chandler. And I think he's a very underrated actor.

But even if what Esther said did happen, it is still in poor taste to put that out there for people to obsess over. Those kinds of stories prevent me from buying the book, to be honest.

I just wanna say here that I watched Million Dollar Mermaid last night(for maybe the first time in 20 years) and I ACTUALLY enjoyed it, and thought it was very well made for what it was...one of those '30s-'50s biopics.

(...nope...never thought I'd find myself sayin' this)

But even if what Esther said did happen, it is still in poor taste to put that out there for people to obsess over. Those kinds of stories prevent me from buying the book, to be honest.

I can't disagree with that. But taste has little to do with tell-all books written by celebrities to set the record straight, when they've been accused of being the bad guy in a given situation. She sure didn't pull any punches about Lamas, who she was crazy about, but who turned her into a galley slave. I imagine there are a lot of people who got sore at her telling on him, because he was such a charmer in public. However, I think she had a right to make it public if she wanted to.

Some people have done some pretty wild things and other people like to find out about them. Not the best of motives, but certainly the most understandable.

My mother's boss was something of a celebrity ... a congressman with a large constituency, very famous in our area ... and he was fond of saying, "Never do anything you wouldn't want to hear read about out loud in a courtroom."

Speaking of sour, I'd have to say her autobiography, The Million Dollar Mermaid, is just that. It seems more like a chance to even some scores than to tell tales of a grand Hollywood career. What did Jeff Chander do to merit Esther's gossip? Oh yes, he died, so it made it simple. I think the million dollar mermaid comes off as something which would have best been thrown back as not really fit for consumption.

In my opinion, celebrity tell-all books should focus more on what made them celebrities in the first place and give fans more behind-the-scenes trivia regarding how certain films were made. The fans do not necessarily need to know about the other stuff. That is probably better left for the analyst's couch.

> {quote:title=Sepiatone wrote:}{quote}

> She DID do a few movies where she didn't swim, didn't she?

There's one I can think of off-hand- a thriller called The Unguarded Moment made in the mid-fifties, it's included on the Women in Peril DVD set TCM released, it looks inn-teresting enough, with a plot somewhat similar to the recent(ish) Kim Basinger straight-to-RedBox thriller While She Was Out- woman runs afoul of juvenile delinquents and long dark night ensues (although I could be wrong about the deets.)

I'd like to see it. (The former, the latter notsomuch.)

Esther was, I believe, an MGM star (exclusively?) and MGM was one of those studios who would suck the marrow dry from talent without a thought in the world to the long-term investment to be protected. So I think it she was assigned to a perpetual gauntlet of *technicolor swimming picture* after *technicolor swimming picture*, hopskotching between music and comedy.

She was good, the formula got old.

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Jun 15, 2013 11:33 AM

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Jun 15, 2013 11:35 AM

I think she said Jeff Chandler was a cross-dresser, which a lot of people have disputed-- including Nancy Reagan, who supposedly confronted Esther about this 'lie.'

Jane Russell also thought Esther was all wet. She said: "I've never heard of such a thing. Cross-dressing is the last thing I would expect of Jeff. He was a sweet guy, definitely all man."

Esther experimented with LSD, under a psychoanalyst's supervision in the late 50s. So the whole thing about Chandler could be a hallucination. Not very many people believe this story about him, who was by most accounts a ladies man and a father of two girls.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings