Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
musikone

Memorial Tribute to those scheduled films now under water

>So Dan Dailey was a cross-dresser?

Betty Grable claimed he was. But who really knows. Years later, he appeared in THE PRIVATE FILES OF J. EDGAR HOOVER. Coincidence?

>So Dan Dailey was a cross-dresser?

Why do some naive people automatically think these rumors, lies, and fables are "true"?

It seems to be the "if I see it in print, it must be true" syndrome.

The most common way to sell more books about Hollywood is to make up these kinds of stories.

The only stories that are reliable are the ones that have multiple witnesses and multiple confirmations.

We do not know if Dailey really was a cross-dresser, but we do know that he lived a very troubled life. All four of his marriages ended in divorce, and at the height of his film career in the early 1950s, he had a nervous breakdown. After his recovery, he resumed his motion picture career, but output slowed. He would return to the stage which is where he started at the age of six. His son had a troubled life as well and committed suicide a few years before Dan's own death.

> {quote:title=TopBilled wrote:}{quote}

> > So Dan Dailey was a cross-dresser?

> Betty Grable claimed he was. But who really knows. Years later, he appeared in THE PRIVATE FILES OF J. EDGAR HOOVER. *Coincidence?*

*I think not.*

> {quote:title=TopBilled wrote:}{quote}I think she said Jeff Chandler was a cross-dresser, which a lot of people have disputed-- including Nancy Reagan, who supposedly confronted Esther about this 'lie.'

Oh to have been a fly on the wall when that went down.

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Jun 15, 2013 3:53 PM

Ya know, YOU PEOPLE keep talkin' like all this cross-dressing stuff is a BAD thing or somethin'!

I'll have YOU know that since I've switched to this GREEN eye shadow, my eyes have NEVER "popped" like this BEFORE!!!

(...WHAT?!...a fella isn't allowed to look nice TOO???!!!)

LOL

In my opinion, celebrity tell-all books should focus more on what made them celebrities in the first place and give fans more behind-the-scenes trivia regarding how certain films were made. The fans do not necessarily need to know about the other stuff. That is probably better left for the analyst's couch.

I confess to reading just about every celeb autobiography that comes my way, if I know the person. If it's a biography, I'm not as eager to read it, because people lie about celebrities just for the sake of the money, like that horrible man Higham who lied about everybody. William Powell hated that man for what he wrote about Jean Harlow ... completely false junk made up for money.

What people say about themselves is what I'm interested in. They do dish some dirt about themselves, as EW did and Rosemary Clooney, and though EW's was biting and Rosemary's was more gentle and sad, I enjoyed both of them.

So far the best autobio I've read is Frank Capra's. It's long, and it's intricate, but it's fascinating. It's very much what you consider the right way to do it. You might enjoy it.

I think one of the best Dan Dailey stories I heard was from James Bacon, who said in an interview that he was sitting at a table in a night club when Dan (in full drag) came over and asked him to dance. Bacon said, "I didn't know how to get out of it at first, but then I said, 'I can't dance with you, Dan; you're so much better than I am that you'd show me up.'"

I was introduced to Dan Dailey in the early 50's one Sunday, outside St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York, where we had all just been attending Mass. He was with an Irish actress named Constance Smith, with whom he had been making a movie ... something about a taxi. I thought he was a very pleasant person, and had a lovely smile. If he was a cross-dresser, he dressed down publicly. He had a gray suit on.

> He had a gray suit on.

Well, ya know Dothery, IF that suit was made out of flannel, that COULD have been Greg Peck you were talkin' to instead!

(...yeah, yeah...like I've said before 'round here, these babies can't ALL be gems, ya know)

> {quote:title=Dothery wrote:}{quote}. If he was a cross-dresser, he dressed down publicly. He had a gray suit on.

Maybe he had gray lingerie underneath his gray flannel suit? Or he was going home to change into his black peignor to watch some film noir? Voila.

Well, ya know Dothery, IF that suit was made out of flannel, that COULD have been Greg Peck you were talkin' to instead!

If that had been Gregory Peck, I would still be there! No one could have made me leave that spot!

I think the Dailey-Smith film was called TAXI (makes sense!).

I always thought it was interesting that he made three films with director John Ford. He doesn't seem like a typical Ford stock player.

you know,

I think Dargo made an excellent point a while back in this thread that getting *too* indignant over speculation that someone was a cross-dresser implies that there is something wrong with that, and there isn't. Just like someone's sexuality, Lord knows it doesn't affect our lives in any way and it's not hurting anybody.

That said, I kind of have to be on the *"no way was Jeff Chandler a cross dresser"* side of the argument. A primary reason: I keep thinking of James Coco's line to Alec Guiness in the last act of Murder by Death :

"as a man, you are very passable, but as a woman: you are a dog. "

One of the primary thigs that would "trouble" a cross-dresser is finding closet space for all those mens and womens clothes.

As I recall, Esther made quite a point of mentioning his closet with all the expensive stuff from the best stores. Of course he had the money, and apparently the closet space, to indulge his whims, if indeed it was true.

I think myself that people read things like this because they're surprised. When I read it, it just seemed bizarre but not shocking. There's a pretty general opinion among shrinks that cross-dressing does not equal gay, and there are many very masculine men who simply like women's clothes and like to wear them.

I loved seeing Jack Benny in drag. It made me collapse laughing. His routine with George Burns was just a killer. He's talking about why he was late, having been held up by an encunter with a sailor. "Those sailors," he says. "One drink and they think they own you."

well,

1.From my brief time in HOLLYWOOD,

and

2. From 34 years of living (such as it's been), I will tell you this:

The HonestToGod *truth* is exponentially nuttier than any lie, tale, stretch, exagerration or "my cousin who is am EMT/State Trooper told me" story anyone could EVER concieve.

F'rill.

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Jun 16, 2013 3:47 PM