Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Flix To Groove Hard To!!! Mon, June 17-Sun, June, 23!!

markbeckuaf

TCM Flix to Groove Hard TO! Monday, June 17-Sunday, June 23!!!

First, to catch up with any grooves for the remainder of the week and weekend, I welcome you to check out my previous groovefest, including tonight's noir fest!!:

http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=169631&tstart=30

Hope everyone is doing awesome! I know TCM is really keeping my DVR and my viewing busy these days, wow, with some awesome flix!!!

First up, on Mon, June 17, it's a daytime tribute to long-suffering fifth wheel, Ralph Bellamy! Well, we have some awesome pre-codes to start it off with, including EVER IN MY HEART (1933) with Babs Stanwyck and Otto Kruger!! Then it's Bruce Cabot, Eric Linden and Arline Judge mixing it up with Ralph in FLYING DEVILS (1933)!!! Next up, Ralph rocks it with William Gargan and Frances Dee in HEADLINE SHOOTER (1933)!!! Then it's Jimmy Cagney his own bad self with Patricia Ellis and Alice White in PICTURE SNATCHER (1933)!!! Man, the precodes rock it, yowza!!!

Wednesday, June 18 daytime rocks it with Dame May Whitty all day long, wow! Up at 6:45am is THE THIRTEENTH CHAIR (1937) an awesome mystery flick with Madge Evans and Lewis Stone! Up at 1:30pm is Nina Foch, George Macready and Dame May Whitty in MY NAME IS JULIA ROSS (1945)!! Awesome flick! One I'm not familiar with is THE SIGN OF THE RAM (1948), which looks intriguing, also starring Susan Peters!!

Thursday daytime kicks off with SUNNY (1930), an early talkies era musical, with Marilyn Miller, Lawrence Gray, and Edward Everett Horton!! Groovy, man!! Coming up at 10:30am is an off-beat oater, RENO (1940) with Richard Dix, Anita Louise and Gail Patrick!! Then it's Eddie G and Raft squaring off for the love of Marlene Dietrich, in a flick that has done this story over and over, but it's always feelin' fresh with these three going at it, in MANPOWER (1941)!!! Bogie gets all noir on us in CONFLICT (1945) with Alexis Smith and Sydney Greenstreet!! Dick Powell is not one to be left out in the cold in the tense noir thriller, CORNERED (1946) with Walter Slezak and Micheline Cheirel!!

Thursday night---OMG! It's Mamie Van Doren struttin' her inimitable stuff all across the screen all night long!!! Daddio, it's soooooo groovy, with lots of sexy dames (mainly Mamie, baby!), sleazy, sordid tales, B-flix flavorings and jazz tempos, and lotsa coolio dialogue! Kicking off the night with UNTAMED YOUTH (1957), then a flick aptly named, THE BEAT GENERATION (1959) also with Steve Cochrane, of many a noir fave, as a detective on the trail of a serial rapist!!! Then it's BORN RECKLESS (1959), followed by a flick with one of my favorite titles, GUNS, GIRLS AND GANGSTERS (1958)!!! Wow! It's a coolio crime flick too, and as if that wasn't enough, another crime flick follows, VICE RAID (1959), then another awesome title: SEX KITTENS GO TO COLLEGE (1960), and do they ever!!!! Then perhaps the best flick of the night wraps it up at 5am, THE GIRL IN BLACK STOCKINGS (1957) a very cool murder mystery suspense flick, Mamie mixes it up with Lex Barker, Anne Bancroft, Marie Windsor (can the screen handle both Mamie and Marie at the same time????!!!), and Ron Randell!! Wow!!! Va-va-va-voom all the way, kitty katz!!!

Friday night brings us noir and more noir, daddio!!! Theme of noir writers and hosted by Eddie Muller himself, we kick it off Friday, June 21 with a Raft vehicle, NOCTURNE (1946) with Lynn Bari and Virginia Huston! Awesome noir flick, can't wait, and I dig, dig, dig Raft!!!! Then it's Robert Young who mixes it up with 3 dames (wolf!!!), Susan Hayward, Jane Greer and Rita Johnson! Cad! Another awesome noir!!! Then a couple flix that show up a lot on TCM, but always welcome, DOUBLE INDEMNITY (1944) and THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE (1946), both excellent and totally groovy flix!!

This week's "Falcon" mystery at 10:45am Saturday, June 22, features Tom Conway heading south of the border in THE FALCON IN MEXICO (1944)!!!

Man, yet another week of totally groovy flix!!! Thank you TCM!!! Hope all my fellow TCM fans have an awesome weekend and week ahead!! Groovy viewing!

Edited by: markbeckuaf on Jun 14, 2013 11:05 AM Cos I need to keep my Eddie G's and Bogie's straight!

Mark, I always look forward to your previews, you should get a job with TCM. But you made a slip up on *Manpower* , its Eddie G not Bogie in that one! (I had to look it up to double check for myself, but was sure it was Eddie). Still its a great flick for those who don't know, and right after TCM has *Conflict* , a much overlooked Bogie film where he does the slow mental breakdown routine, just like Fred C Dobbs or Capt Queeg. Both films get a big thumbs up here.

MrRoberts, thank you for your feedback, and also for pointing out my most grievous error!!! Yikes!!!! I totally dig this flick (MANPOWER) also and it's fairly notorious for the off-screen rift between Eddie G and Bad boy Raft!!! Wow, my bad, but thank you for pointing it out! I have since corrected it, as I really need to get my Eddie G's and Bogie's straight here!!!

Oh yeah, totally agree with you about CONFLICT as well! It also features a stellar cat/mouse between Bogie and Sydney Greenstreet. In essence? it rocks!

I thank you for your time and effort in creating this series of posts. They are entertaining and provide important reminders as well as revealing hidden gems.

I second your recommendation for: *Picture Snatcher* (1933). This is the type of role for Cagney which I love.

I will be watching: *Raffles* (1930) on Wednesday as it is Ronald Colman!

I believe: *Conflict* (1945) is a one-of-a-kind movie for Bogie. It is a sort of combination of The Tell Tale Heart and Gaslight.

I know it is not proper to anticipate so highly: *Sex Kittens Go To College* (1960) but it sounds to me as if it will be a very fun romp.

I am sad to say that I feel: *The Falcon in Mexico* (1944) is one of the weak ones of the series. It is nearly as if they could not conceive of a new thing and so they recycled a standard mystery plot and set it in Mexico to make it seem fresh.

I am curious of: *The Story of the Last Chrysanthemums* (1939). It seems as if I should have watched it at some time but I do not recall it.

I await anxiously your next installment as there is one day in the following week which is nearly all ones I like to watch and to recommend to friends.

Thank you so very much, Sans Fin, for your kind and encouraging words!!! I'm so gratified to hear this, and I'm honored that you visit my thread weekly!!

I also love that you share some of your own grooves if you have some that do not match mine, and I encourage everyone to do that! I have found some gems that I was not aware or, nor thought I would enjoy, in this very way!!!

As for RAFFLES, wow, I do not see it on the schedule for the coming week? I wish it was, as I totally dig it!!! It would also fit right in for the Thursday day time schedule, as I believe the theme is "one word titles". It's a radically cool flick!!

Thank you again, and hope you are totally grooving to the cool TCM flix!!

I thank you for your kind words.

I am sad to say that I was using the Now Playing guide when I stated that: *Raffles* (1930) was scheduled for Wednesday. I see by the on-line schedule that it has been replaced by: *The Thirteenth Chair* (1937) which is a nice movie also even although Dame May Whitty's role seems to me to be odd for her as she is so very deferential.

I do groove to many of the movie you select and I groove also to your posts! :)

Tonight seems to be Donald Ogden Stewart night on TCM. He was a screenwriter.

6:00 PM Holiday (1938)

An unhappy heiress falls in love with her stodgy sister's freethinking fiance.

Dir: George Cukor Cast: Katharine Hepburn , Cary Grant , Doris Nolan .

BW-96 mins, TV-G,

8:00 PM Keeper Of The Flame (1942)

A reporter digs into the secret life of a recently deceased political hero.

Dir: George Cukor Cast: Spencer Tracy , Katharine Hepburn , Richard Whorf .

BW-101 mins, TV-PG, CC,

10:00 PM No More Ladies (1935)

A society girl tries to reform her playboy husband by making him jealous.

Dir: Edward H. Griffith Cast: Joan Crawford , Robert Montgomery , Charlie Ruggles .

BW-81 mins, TV-G, CC,

11:30 PM Woman's Face, A (1941)

Plastic surgery gives a scarred female criminal a new outlook on life.

Dir: George Cukor Cast: Joan Crawford , Melvyn Douglas , Conrad Veidt .

BW-107 mins, TV-PG, CC,

1:30 AM Barretts of Wimpole Street, The (1934)

An invalid poetess defies her father's wishes to marry a dashing young poet.

Dir: Sidney Franklin Cast: Norma Shearer , Fredric March , Charles Laughton .

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings