Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So Who's Watching Esther?

Hibi

Just curious who's watching. I caught the first one last night, Bathing Beauty which I guess was her first swimming film. It was cute, though it didnt revolve around her like her later films. It was fun watching the musical performers. I probably wont have any time today to watch anything else.

I checked out some of it last night, but I'm not flipping to TCM until 8:00 pm tonight...oh wait, except I've seen Dark Passage and Nightfall.....

oh well.

I get that she was probably a nice lady and a friend of the network and she *was* a beautiful woman, I was struck by that and how natural her acting was in...um....that thing I watched some of last night where she was with Ricardo Montalban but I can't remember the title and it doesn't really matter.

(they were all the same.)

My family and I used to go to see every Esther movie that came out, starting in the late 1940s.

I think they were all in color, they were always entertaining, and even though we didn't care much about swimming, we all liked her big production numbers in the water.

> {quote:title=twinkeee wrote:}{quote}"So Who's Watching Esther?".....

>

> ....apparently, hardly anyone , sad to say !. :|

>

> ... Such a 'Very' Talented Lady!!!

>

> Twink

Considering it is still working hours on both coasts, it is understandable there aren't more people replying. The one that is on now is memorable because it was filmed on Mackinac Island around the Grand Hotel.

You must have a lot of fond memories of watching these movies with your family. :)

The production number in MILLION DOLLAR MERMAID is breathtaking, can only imagine what it must have been like to have seen that on the Big Screen . :)

Twink

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}Just curious who's watching. I caught the first one last night, Bathing Beauty which I guess was her first swimming film. It was cute, though it didnt revolve around her like her later films. It was fun watching the musical performers. I probably wont have any time today to watch anything else.

I caught a few of the films they showed. I did not intend to watch any but I turned on the tv at 8pm and there she was. I am not a fan of Esther nor do I dislike her ( I truly had no opinion of her either way). For me she was always just that lovely woman who swam a lot and was married to Fernando Lamas. As I grew up in the late 70's and 80's I was not that familiar with her work. Prior to this I had seen bits and pieces of her movies but never stuck around to the end. I enjoyed the three films I did watch. Ultimately, I thought it was a well deserved tribute.

I recorded a bunch of them on the DVR. Some I didn't bother with. I'm not that nuts about the Annette Kellerman one, but I love anything with Ricardo Montalban (when I get to heaven they're going to issue me a Ricardo Montalban ... he is heavenly ...). Skelton never particularly appealed to me so I ignored the first one they did together. The ones with Van Johnson were cute.

I'll take an Esther Williams movie any time over the dark horrible gunk I see advertised about kidnappings, lynchings, false arrests, racism ... I suppose those make some people happy. Not this kid. I'm too old to waste time on dreary stuff when I can see color and beautiful costumes and frivolous plots that end up well.

The one that is on now is memorable because it was filmed on Mackinac Island around the Grand Hotel.

So was "Somewhere In Time," the lovely movie with Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour. We (a friend and her mother) watched it at their house Tuesday, our movie night. I had forgotten how beautiful the grounds were and the wonderful long porch with the rocking chairs.

I went to check on my elderly mom because she knocked the phone off the hook.(AGAIN!) Brought her a BLT grinder and told her the news about EW. She didn't know Ms Williams had passed and EW was one of her favorite movie stars. She's told me numerous times over the years how she used to go to the movies to see her. So I turned on TCM for her and let her rip!

I just got back from the UP and northern Michigan. Anatomy Of A Murder was shot largely in Big Bay, a very small town about 25 miles north of Marquette. The local theater used to have the cast footprints in cement in front of it. It's been closed for awhile.

I was also at the Grand Hotel about two days ago. they have poster display of This Times For Keeps, the film with Esther Williams and Jimmy Durante that was shot there. They also have a large display of Somewhere In Time. It has some nice pictures of Christopher Reeve in better days.

I saw" On An Island With You "when I was 17 and fell in love with Esther. With her long hair I thought she was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen. Then seeing her once more 50 years later just reminded me of my good taste in women!"

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings