Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite Sammy Cahn songs

filmmusicfan

Today (June 18) is the 100th birthday of lyricist Sammy Cahn. What are your favorite Cahn songs?

Here are five (of many ) of my favorites:

"All the Way"

"Call Me Irresponsible"

"It's Magic"

"High Hopes"

"Love and Marriage"

There is an online tribute at this link:

www.americanmusicpreservation.com/SammyCahnCentennial.htm

Incidentally, two of Sid Mark's (arguably the nation's greatest expert on Sinatra's music) favorite Sinatra songs are "All My Tomorrows" (the Don Costa arrangement) and "Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out to Dry". The former is a Jimmy Van Heusen composition, the latter a Jule Styne offering.

The Costa version of "All My Tomorrows" is very good, but I prefer the Capitol version; to me, it's sort of the archetypal Sinatra Capitol recording. And the "Saturday Night" version I prefer is the Columbia hit from early 1945, arranged by George Siravo (who did many of Frank's up-tempo Columbia sides). Even at this early point in his career, when he was generally renowned as a balladeer (and a good one; the CD release of Frank's Columbia tracks in the late '80s and early '90s led many to re-evaluate this stage of Sinatra's career, and I'm glad he lived to see it), Sinatra could swing with the best of them.