Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Manners (continued)

No, just boring. Boggles me it ran so many pages, yet cant get any good discussions going about movies playing on TCM.

Yeah, the irony wasnt lost on me.........(LOL) No topic is safe I guess.

It sounds ironic, Fi, but veteran posters should know at this point that when they start posts like that -- with the best of intentions -- they (the posts) tend to go off the rails. I'm a big believer that it's ok to go off topic occasionally and respectfully, in a thread that is firmly rooted in a film discussion. But when a thread so broadly deals with an aspect of society in general, you know there's going to be trouble!

>No, just boring. Boggles me it ran so many pages, yet cant get any good discussions going about movies playing on TCM.

WAIT, Hibi! Didn't you forget to place a little guy at the end of this post o' yours here doin' THIS---> ;) ?

'Cause as far as I can tell, there suuuure seems to be a whole lot o' pages WITHOUT "a good discussion going about movies" over in that "George Brent's you-know-what" thread you started some time ago!!!

(...so you REALLY were just kiddin' around by sayin' what ya said here, RIGHT?!) ;)

LOL

Yeah, well, while I've never begrudged you folks the "fun" you seems to have over there in that thread o' yours(and in fact occasionally think some of the "**** jokes" are somewhat entertaining), I have to admit that I THOUGHT MissW's "original Manners" thread was anything BUT"boring"...especially compared to all those "**** jokes" over in your thread that I find, well let us say, not quite so "entertaining" or "funny".

(...hey, but "To Each Their Own" as they say...which as I've mentioned before around here is one of my favorite Olivia de Havilland flicks, and WHO I might add, had a pretty nice **** HERSELF back then!)

Well, ONE poster started getting insulting to somebody who's name never appeared in the thread. Seems both the poster AND the Administrator got two threads confused.

But now I see the rules have expanded. Not ONLY can't we discuss politics(understandable) but now it's expanded to political COMMENTATORS. In a thread about manners, bringing up political commentators as an example of BAD manners is fitting, so why the lock? And I imagine if politics AND religion can't be discussed here, and NOW includes political commentators, then RELIGIOUS figures can't be mentioned either!

So, I imagine I'm risking a lockdown when I mention BISHOP SHEEN.

Sepiatone

I worked with Michael Sheen once. Lovely man, great actor, but no bishop. As to the topic at hand, I suspect the poster who got in trouble may have had a history here under other names, or at least I got that impression from the Moderator's response. I also had the idea that the name the poster mentioned may relate to another poster's alias? There's a story there that we don't know about. Just as the "real" Mrs. Froy vanished and then reappeared. Obviously I am probably wrong in all of this (apart from the first two sentences).

Yeah, to each their own. My beef wasnt so much that the thread existed, but its proportion to threads talking about what's playing on TCM or lack thereof. Wasnt any discusion about the noir night flicks for instance (except for the first one, Dark Passage). Boards have been pretty dead for months now, except for complaints mostly.........

There are posters who have gone by other names in the past.........(not me! LOL)

I post to a another thread, and we have been so hamstrung about appropriateness lately we've taken to say at the close--

Just Kidding, Prism. :D

But, it seems if we stay to policies and not politics, the conversation here can easily be handled with manners.

But watching a comedy of manners, it occurs to me there was one movie about polite criminals- *We're No Angels.*

I guess the discussion of Mrs Froy brought that on.

>Yeah, to each their own. My beef wasnt so much that the thread existed, but its proportion to threads talking about what's playing on TCM or lack thereof. Wasnt any discusion about the noir night flicks for instance (except for the first one, Dark Passage). Boards have been pretty dead for months now, except for complaints mostly.......

Hey! Whaddaya MEAN here?! I was on a freakin' ROLL yesterday! And THIS is the "thanks" I GET???!!!

;)

But yeah, the original "Manners" thread DID go off the rails a bit once the name of "Bill Buckley" was introduced into it by SansFin when she offhandedly mentioned a great insult he was supposed to have said ...and unfortunately I must admit that I apparently started up a few folks who wanted to express THEIR opinion about the guy when I said "He was the last TRUE Intellectual Conservative" and ended my thought with JUST that.

(...but NOW that I've "dissected" that thread, what say we endeavor to keep finance's thread from being locked here now TOO by STAYING OFF THAT SUBJECT!!!)

LOL

I guess one could say that about the George Brent thread too (the proportion) but I could make the arguement that it exists and has endured because the boards are so dead! (LOL) It kinda stands out. I do enjoy the boards, but let's face it, they arent as "busy" as they used to be (not for lack of trying on your part! :D)

Well discussion of political commentators is very political. For example I know the political POV of someone here because he mentions he loves certain political commentators. If one says I love the POV of XYZ, (either a commentator or politician), that is there way of taking a political stand.

As for the other Manner's thread; what was that even about? I gave up trying to find out. I also don't see how it relates to movies. OK, people start threads that are NOT related to movies. But am I wrong in thinking there are more of these (say in the last month or so), than there were in the past?

Could it be us a group just don't have enough classic movie topics to keep us interested? (I'm starting to feel that way).

A lot of older posters have moved on or rarely post. And we arent getting enough new members to replace them..........

Well, here's MY thoughts about what you've just said and the question you posed here, James.

IF people wish to limit this place and the conversations within it to some form of "strict academic analyses" of Cinema, THEN baby...I'M OUTTA HERE!!!!

(...and you poor folks will NEVER have to put up with MY brand of questionable humor which in MOST cases DOES reference the art of moving pictures EVER again, 'cause somethin' like THAT to ME would be "boring"!)

LOL

I'm surprise you, of all people, would take such a black and white stance here. I didn't imply "some form of "strict academic analyses" of Cinema".

But this is a forum for classic movie fans and the main reason I come here is to discuss classic (studio era), movies. So like I said I can see SOME threads that are NOT related to classic movies (we have many on music), and general topics. The only issue I see is if these start to dominate.

When that becomes the case I think that those that wish for those type of discussions should find another forum. Note I used to be a major user of The Fray by Slate. This was a great discussion website. It had many topic forums and covered all of the bases; politics, music, movies, sports, culture, food, etc.... That closed down. Also the monitoring was weak and this lead to a lot of hate. A lot. Real nasty stuff.

Anyhow if you know of another forum I would be willing to follow you and others here there for more 'in your face' uncensored discussions. But this site isn't that forum in my view.

Hibi..when New posters come on board, they seem to become "slandered" which is certainly

something I have experienced and they "Know" who they are, it is ongoing....

I was a lurker here for years before I joined. I felt intimidated by the 'experts' (still am, LOL). I think compared to other forums (I'm a member of only this one) this place is pretty civil, but you do get the trolls and the sudden angry outbursts now and then.

I notice there are a lot of new people who post in the "Favorites" forum, maybe once or twice and then even after encouraging them to post more they disappear. Too bad... :(

This site is much more civil than 95% of the other sites I have joined in the past. Yes, there is a monitor but I like this. In other sites with no monitor people will just post a hateful comment to another poster over and over again (like 10 or more times), to push off all the other post. Than of course the other poster has to 'fire back' and thus no one else can post anything of substance.

I really don't understand why people feel they have so RIGHT to post whatever they wish at a private website. One doesn't have a right to say whatever they wish in a bar or restaurant. The management will ask one to leave.

I am HARRASED by the Same 2 people on an 'ongoing' basis ' All the time,' .. It Does Not Stop ! (they know who they are)

Twink

I'm sorry to hear that. :(

I think like in any other social setting there are people/posters you like less than others, but when it progresses to barbs and veiled insults, that's wrong. I agree James, I like the fact that this site is moderated and I like the "Ignore" feature also (I've rarely used it, but it does help my self control sometimes!)

On another note, generally, it's so much harder to interpret what someone else is saying when you don't know the person or aren't speaking to them face-to-face. Twinkeee this isn't addressing you in particular, I'm just making a comment.

>I'm surprise you, of all people, would take such a black and white stance here. I didn't imply "some form of "strict academic analyses" of Cinema".

Well, as usual James, when I say some things, that ol' tongue o' mine is often placed over and across my molars, which of course extends this here cheek o' mine in an outwardly direction. And, in the case of my last posting, I was petty much runnin' true-to-form there. ;)

My point basically was that every single time Michael the Admin(who I believe does a great job overseeing this place in his thankless job) feels some folks around here have crossed the line while A GUEST at this here website, and THEN a whole lot of people will EITHER begin their little "My Free Speech is being violated" routine, OR will lament about how they feel "We get off the topic of classic films much too much" to satisfy them.

And so, I was just pokin' a little fun at these reoccurring reactions I've noticed over the time I've been around here, that's all.

(...and don't worry, it takes a WHOLE lot to get ME to leave a place once I've ensconced myself into the surroundings....though maybe now that I've just said that, you folks OUGHT'A start worryin' here, huh!) ;)

LOL