Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Manners (continued)

...true, except these are 'out and out' Insults and put downs by the Same 2 people on an on going bases and there is NO mistaken it !

Twink

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}No, just boring. Boggles me it ran so many pages, yet cant get any good discussions going about movies playing on TCM.

Hey, that thread wasn't boring ! Hibi, you stab me through the heart. :0

There have always been lots of threads on these boards that are not directly about old movies. As for "good discussions" currently going on about them, I beg to differ. (I keep using these archaic expressions from old movies, like that one.)

There was the "Dark Passage" discussion, which went on for pages. And the "Scaramouche" thread, which is still ongoing.

And all the people who posted on it are amongst the most interesting people who participate on these boards (not the only interesting people, I hasten to add-please don't reprimand me, mr. moderator.)

Shirley there is always lots of interesting stuff to say about manners.

> {quote:title=Swithin wrote:}{quote}It sounds ironic, Fi, but veteran posters should know at this point that when they start posts like that -- with the best of intentions -- they (the posts) tend to go off the rails. I'm a big believer that it's ok to go off topic occasionally and respectfully, in a thread that is firmly rooted in a film discussion. But when a thread so broadly deals with an aspect of society in general, you know there's going to be trouble!

( foot stomp) But Swithin, all I was doing was lamenting the fact that people were talking all the way through my daughter's graduation ceremony. That got me to thinking about how people also talk all the way through other public events, such as movie screenings. Hardly combustible stuff.

> {quote:title=Sepiatone wrote:}{quote}

>

> ...I imagine if politics AND religion can't be discussed here, and NOW includes political commentators, then RELIGIOUS figures can't be mentioned either!

>

So, does this mean that I can't worship at the alter of Robert Mitchum anymore?

But Miss W -- (no foot stomp) -- didn't a certain person once start another "innocent" thread that ended up locked?

> {quote:title=jamesjazzguitar wrote:}{quote}

> Could it be us a group just don't have enough classic movie topics to keep us interested?

I believe there will at all times be a problem for a group which is together for a length of time in that we learn each others' likes and dislikes and we exhaust all of the readily available topics and we tire of rehashing issues upon which we stated our opinions many times in the past.

I believe that a person who has been a member of this board for a year or more can close their eyes and reflect for a moment and then with ease construct a fairly precise mental image of all of the posts which would appear in a new thread for: *Some Like it Hot* (1959).

I am and I believe I at all times will be on the fringe here as I lack the extensive knowledge of classic movies which many here have and what knowledge I have is in discrete niches which are not of mainstream interest. My post count would be in the many tens of thousands if I were of a nature to reply with: "I thank you for that information" each and every time I learned a thing or was given a new insight. I believe the counter for posts would spin out of control if I were to use: "me, too!" as a reply.

There are threads in other boards of this forum which have been active for considerable time and elicit a great number of posts. I am not referring only to the derriere thread but to "Rambles" and "Annual Torture Thread" and others of their ilk which often discourse at length on movies but which have in general a basis of simple conversation on all which touches our lives.

> {quote:title=twinkeee wrote:}{quote}

> when New posters come on board, they seem to become "slandered" which is certainly something I have experienced and they "Know" who they are, it is ongoing....

I hope you do not include me in that but I can understand if you do. Your views are often very different from mine and when I have replied I have tried to make it a respectful offering of a different view. It is sad to say that I am learning of late that many of my posts do not properly convey my meaning. There is the problem also that I am not able to include a friendly smile or a quizzical look which would signal the basis of my response.

I respect your views even when I do not share them and I apologize if it ever appeared otherwise.

> {quote:title=twinkeee wrote:}{quote}I am HARRASED by the Same 2 people on an 'ongoing' basis ' All the time,' .. It Does Not Stop ! (they know who they are)

>

> Twink

Twinkee darling, now you have gone to the opposite extreme with the quotation marks. I know we had a lesson about them last night, and I'm glad you studied, but, truly, it is not necessary to use them for "everything". For instance, they should not be around the word "everything", I was just demonstrating,

Well, actually, they don't belong there the first time, but they do on the second use of the word "everything". You do get it, don't you, my love?

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> That got me to thinking about how people also talk all the way through other public events, such as movie screenings.

I saw it as a lament that we are not able to watch movies properly in movie theatres now and as an unspoken desire to return to the days of proper manners.

It is interesting to me that today's xkcd concerns a closely allied subject:

http://xkcd.com/1227/

I believe it is significant also that a discussion of manners had to be closed because it is so very difficult to have a discussion of any type on any forum free of those who have the need to insert their political views into every discussion or who have so little self-esteem that they must insult others at every opportunity.

Do any know of a movie in which the contrasts between the mannerly and the profane is a main theme? I know of one but it is a foreign movie and is by that likely to not be known or accessible to those here. I must wonder if there is a common movie of the type.

*The other thread was shut down because Mr. Froy couldn't seem to contain his anger at being asked to avoid controversial topics like modern politics and religion. In hindsight, I can see that locking the thread was not called for. Of course, instead of PMing me about it, we have this thread. I'm happy to discuss matters about this forum, including mannered and rational appeals of decisions I've made, as some of you are well aware. Feel free to PM me.*

*Meanwhile, this forum is NOT for discussion of modern politics and religion. If that's what you want to talk about, you will have to go somewhere else. While most of you are able to state your off-topic opinions without being rude and offensive, some folks are not, and deliberately use language designed to anger and inflame other users. You may think no else minds, but you would be wrong.*

Nothing personal, Wonderly. Not every thread interests me (and I'm sure you either) so I didnt read read more than a few posts. I just get frustrated with the lack of movie discussions on the board. Yes I know about Dark Passage and Scaramouche, but there used to be more. Wasnt meant as a slam (LOL) on you...

's Ok, Hibi baby. But I would ask you to call me "Miss" Wonderly. Either that or "Brigid". I won't accept "Ruth" though, 1931 Maltese Falcon or not.

Funny, just being called "Wonderly" makes me feel like a rugby player from Tom Brown's School Days.

>Yes, missw, you can worship Mitchum but you need an altar. If you alter him, well he might not be the same.

Here ya go Helen... groucho.gif

(...and you can borrow this any ol' time ya want too...just don't wear him out!) ;)

LOL

Wrong again. Anybody can check out the thread to see what happened.

The last post about Bill, Pat, and George was in the afternoon. It was seven

hours later that you decided to stick your nose into something that had not

been a problem, thereby creating a problem. So it was your own heavy-handed

methods that ultimately led to the thread being locked.

> I just get frustrated with the lack of movie discussions on the board. Yes I know about Dark Passage and Scaramouche, but there used to be more.

No disrespect here Hibi, but I am not sure I am following you here. What do you mean that you are frustrated with the lack of movie discussions on the board? Are you specifically referring to the General Discussions Forum?

There are over thirty different forums available to us all to discuss films. And if you look especially at the Your Favorites Forum, the Films and Filmmakers Forum and all of the Genre Forums, I bet you can find literally hundreds if not thousands of threads with many discussions about all sorts of films.

The problem is that a lot of people go to General Discussions and try to discuss films there. Unfortunately, General Discussions has for the last several years been dominated by many self-absorbed members who in some cases like to cause trouble. This is not to indicate that the forum is only for trouble makers, it just seems to this member that there are more "locked-up" threads here than anywhere else.

And because many good people do come here, they can at times get involved with discussions that "go off the track" so to speak.

If you look a lot closer I bet you could go to Your Favorites or any of the Genre Forums and find many threads about particular films or genres many more than you would find on General Discussions.

I am no expert but I enjoy spending a lot of my time on the Your Favorites Forum and reading with a lot of pleasure what others have to say on all of the Genre Forums.

I come here because this is where unfortunately a lot of train wrecks occur. I should know, I helped cause the lock down of a thread recently on this forum.

Yes, lots of other threads and forums, but look at the dates! Does anyone ever go there? Once I went into an Alfred Hitchcock thread, and it was all these posters talking about their personal lives.

> But this is a forum for classic movie fans and the main reason I come here is to discuss classic (studio era), movies. So like I said I can see SOME threads that are NOT related to classic movies (we have many on music), and general topics. The only issue I see is if these start to dominate.

> When that becomes the case I think that those that wish for those type of discussions should find another forum.

Well James, we have argued before and have had our share of disagreements. We have also agreed on topics as well, not often, but it does happen every now and again.

I understand where you are coming from here, at least I think I do. You are concerned about the supposed great number of threads that are discussions about non-related classic film stuff, correct? And I am sure that any discussions about more recent films, especially those made after whatever date you would want to use as a cut off for classic films is also a concern for you as well, correct?

Because the way I see how you might be thinking about this is that unless there are more people here discussing older classic films, the less is written about those classic films and more is written about other non-related classic film stuff and more recent films, correct?

I think that there are several forums that have many discussions about non-related classic film stuff. Hot Topics, General Discussions are the two forums that come to mind. But as I wrote to Hibi, there are over thirty other forums where the focus is on classic films and other issues related to classic films.

To me there will always be a place here on the message boards for others to write about non-related classic film stuff. And if we are lucky, they will be confined to the two forums I just listed.

As far as other topics that involve more recent film fare, well that is just a sign of the times. As we progress further away from the studio era films, we are going to be talking more about more recent film fare. The 1960s, 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s.

Lets face it, the 1960s were less than 50 years ago. If this board was around during the 1970s most of the discussions *would HAVE* been focused on studio era films. And you would have a small yet vocal minority writing and discussing films from the 1960s and 70s. That is what I think will always be the case around here. There will always be a majority that will love to write and discuss older studio era films, and there will be people who will want to write and discuss newer films. And there will always be a chance for someone to discuss non classic film stuff.

My own opinion is that the types of discussions you are worried about becoming more around here is going to be limited to a degree. Many people who come to Hot Topics and General Discussions would never go to the Your Favorites, or the Film and Filmmakers forums or any of the Genre Forums. They just will not. And the reason I think is because they are for what ever reason not comfortable with going there. They may feel intimidated, or they just may not have the writing chops to keep up with *that kind* of semi hard core film discussion.

Bottom line, I don't share your possible pessimistic outlook? As I said the Message Boards are dominated by classic film discussion. Just look at Films and Filmmakers Forum, the Your Favorites Forum, The Essentials Forum, and all of the Genre Forums.

These are where most of the types of discussions you want TCM to continue to have are occurring.

> I just get frustrated with the lack of movie discussions on the board. Yes I know about Dark Passage and Scaramouche, but there used to be more.

Part of the problem, it would seem, belongs to all of us. We come here and post on a daily basis, we've gotten comfortable with one another, gotten to know each other.

The downside with all of that is that it is now easier to sidetrack an ongoing discussion with jokes, etc because after all we are just kicking back and being friends.

What gets lost in all that familiarity is the discussion that brought us to the thread in the first place.

Because we are all so chummy, that can appear daunting to new posters or lurkers who want to contribute to the conversation but feel intimidated and/or confused by the bantering and free-wheeling posting that is often far removed from the original discussion.

I know that there will be posters who say "hey, we are just here to have fun" or "it doesn't happen often, we were just being ourselves" but the reality is that we have gotten so comfortable doing it, that it happens on a regular basis (sometimes daily, sometimes weekly, sometimes more).

I'm not trying to say that there is anything wrong with being friendly and feeling comfortable together. It's just that with all that friendship and joviality, there can be a tendency to lose sight of what brought us all here in the first place.

The chance to talk about movies and TCM with others that understand our feelings and thoughts.

Perhaps all we need to do is strike a better balance between the camaraderie and the discussion at hand.

Just my two cents and your mileage, as always, may vary.

Edited by: lzcutter because all sometimes matters

Well said, but I think you're being generous in your assessment that it's an overall "chumminess" which leads things astray. The kind of oneupsmanship we see in so many threads may be (generally) good-natured, but it amounts to a fast track for getting things off-topic. When I first came here I thought I'd found a great little oasis, but I've gotten so tired of finding a thread that sounds interesting, only to find it's now miles away from it's original topic, which was what interested me in the first place. I don't buy the idea that discussions naturally evolve. There's nothing evolutionary about the way some of these threads get highjacked, including totally rewriting the subject line. One of the most intelligent and interesting threads here is the self-described "Rambles", but when every thread becomes a ramble, we have a problem.

Maybe there is some way to recharacterize the forums, so that some threads specifically forbid rambling or hijacking, and others do not.

By movie discussions I meant discussions about films that TCM is showing. Not movies in general. Many times films will be shown (often premieres) and there is no discussion about them or the thread if started goes nowhere (I've started a few). Seems like no one is watching half the time judging by the lack of interest on the boards. It didnt used to be this way....I wasnt referring to a specific board or talking about old movies in general.