Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Manners (continued)

Yes, many of those threads go months without a response, then suddenly someone will say something (LOL)

If a thread goes off track all someone needs to do is post a comment to get it back on the subject. Maybe the reason threads go offtrack is the subject has been exhausted? With the dwindling number of posters even getting a response for a thread is sometimes daunting...

Generally speaking, mose restrictions probably are never the answer. The fault is not in the forums, dear finance, but in ourselves. I know you're one of the advocates of free-ranging discussion and I'm not about to say that yours or mine or anyone's view should be absolute. We just all have to acknowledge that we're not doing this in a vacuum and that there are many others who are affected by what we say and do, whether they specifically respond to us or not. Sometimes restraint helps; sometimes it gets us nowhere. My own response over the years has been to stay away for longer periods of time, which may partially explain why things have moved on when I come to a subject that's already days old. Don't know that there's an answer. I probably don't even have a real question. Just adding my two cents.

Dwindling number of posters? Not lately. I'm never on the boards at night. Sometimes I get on in the morning, and it is a massive task to try to catch up on reading posts.

I've done that, only to have the other parties continue on as if I were a stray radio wave from space. And, yes, subjects get exhausted, but much more quickly if nobody wants to be the wet blanket interrupting all the fun badinage.

> Dwindling number of posters? Not lately. I'm never on the boards at night. Sometimes I get on in the morning, and it is a massive task to try to catch up on reading posts.

This community used to be much larger but for a variety of reasons, it has gotten smaller over the years.

But, we are a chatty group and while the number of posters has dwindled over the years, we still have an appetite for talking and creating threads.

Not with me. There are some good days, but a lot of boring ones (on the boards) but I still check....

LOL. I hope I havent been one of those. I know threads get sidetracked. But I dont mind if it goes off on a tangent for a few posts....

> If a thread goes off track all someone needs to do is post a comment to get it back on the subject.

Too often what seems to happen is that the person who tries to bring the thread back to the topic gets scolded for being a wet blanket and not understanding that everyone is just having fun or told that the subject has been covered sufficiently that it's okay to just kick back and have fun. (Sometimes only after a few posts have been made on the original subject).

The balance between those who want to continue the original conversation and those who want to have fun usually gets lost quickly.

The one poster who usually has success with posting to get back on topic is TopBilled and usually in his own threads.

I do agree with finance, perhaps an Off-Topic forum might help.

That's exactly what's happened. One poster used that phrase of wet blanket to another poster when I tried to get a thread back on track. So why bother? Miss the good old days on the bds.( a few YEARS ago) when yes there were arguments but conversations were not dumbed down.

Edited by: TCMWebAdmin on Jun 22, 2013 7:25 AM

> Yes, lots of other threads and forums, but look at the dates! Does anyone ever go there? Once I went into an Alfred Hitchcock thread, and it was all these posters talking about their personal lives.

Who cares about the dates? If you want to add your thoughts to a particular thread then do so. Eventually discussion will start up again. That is one of the problems with this board. There are sooo many threads here that you could go for weeks or months without having any posts made. As far as comments being made of a personal nature, wouldn't you say that goes on a lot on many threads around here? And then you have some who post here only to say silly or what they think are funny posts. To each their own.

Many times I have had the opportunity to write something when the thread was heavy in conversation and back and forth between other members who were posting. But I would wait to gather my thoughts and write them down, but by the time I got around to posting, everyone was gone or the thread was dead.

That is the way it is here. Others have commented about the lack of participation. I see that as a two way street. Some people, mostly the regulars will comment, but a lot of newbies will just sit on the sidelines because they may feel intimidated. I did when I first thought of joining in 2007. I had waited for months to join and then afterwards I was accepted some of the folks who have thousands of posts to their credit.

Don't worry Kyle. finance and I have ordered flowers be send to obrienmundy as a measure of our "sympathy" and show of contrition for our obvious lack of breeding and good taste there!

(...btw, I was MORE than a little disheartened to discover that after I said, "Are you gonna call "the police", finance didn't retort with somethin' like, "No, but I'm gonna watch "every move you make" from now on!")

Edited by: Dargo2 on Jun 20, 2013 8:32 AM

AND, btw...here's a "News Flash" for those around here who somehow have gotten the impression that SOMEHOW they'll be viewed as "Wet Blankets" by "some" of the jokers around here...

NEWS FLASH:

The jokers around here DO not and WILL not EVER view ANYBODY who would like to revisit the ORIGINAL topic in ANY thread around here while said "jokers" have momentarily sidetracked the puppies to insert their brand of humor, as a "Wet Blanket"!!!

Just have the conjones to DO it!

(...yep, believe it or NOT, I've done this very act of going back on topic MYSELF around here, and never thought a THING of it...but then again I guess I'm not the "sensitive type" as people may have noticed)

LOL

I agree. Just keep steering it back to the subject. If people dont respond, then the thread has run its course...... Sometimes with o'brienmundy the course never gets started (I know that feeling) Not every thread comes alive, that's pretty common here...

> The jokers around here DO not and WILL not EVER view ANYBODY who would like to revisit the ORIGINAL topic in ANY thread around here while said "jokers" have momentarily sidetracked the puppies to insert their brand of humor, as a "Wet Blanket"!!!

> (...just have the conjones to DO it!!!)

Even those who have had "conjones to DO it!!!!!" have often been outnumbered by the posts of the jokesters telling them to get over it and let us get back to having fun.

If this wasn't an ongoing problem, it wouldn't keep coming up.

>Damn it, Dargo - this is serious!

C'mon dark. Fess up. You're feigning "outrage" here, aren't ya! ;)

'Cause the idea that these boards have:

(a) "Deteriorated in content or civility"

or

(B) "Are so serious a matter that the very world hinges upon the orderly and earnest exchange of ideas in regard to the topic of classic cinema"

....are...well...both a rather humorous proposition in and of themselves.

*"Sometimes with o'brienmundy the course never gets started (I know that feeling) Not every thread comes alive, that's pretty common here."* - Hibi

That's true. But 'obreinmundy's' "Schoolgirl Crushes" post was "crushed" in just TWO MINUTES after being posted.

Excuse me here Kyle, but I would like to divert your attention for a brief minute back to my recent "News Flash" posting down there and before you continue on with this line of your argument.

Nope. AIn't gonna do it.

I will not let you put the onus on an OP or other members to come in and reorient a (new) thread after some have effectively written graffiti all over it.

Most children stopped writing their name in fresh cement by age 13.

>Even those who have had "conjones to DO it!!!!!" have often been outnumbered by the posts of the jokesters telling them to get over it and let us get back to having fun. If this wasn't an ongoing problem, it wouldn't keep coming up.

Well, tell ya what Iz my friend. The next time some joker around here does THAT, then you just send me a little PM advising me WHO it was and WHERE it was and WHEN it was, and I'll give 'em a good smackin'(figuratively speaking, of course) upside their keyboard by use of my extremely sharp wit!

'Cause there's certainly no cause for THAT!

(...well, that IS of course UNLESS the person who wished to return to the original topic comes on and says somethin' like, "Will you sophomoric ones get lost so we more refined people can discuss the original topic", instead of somethin' like say, Excuse me here, but to get back on topic"...'cause ya see the FORMER approach WOULD have a tendency to bring out the anarchistic Marx Bros response in "those" jokers)

>I will not let you put the onus on an OP or other members to come in and reorient a (new) thread after some have effectively written graffiti all over it.

Yeah, that DOES sound like a whole lot o' "work", doesn't it.

(...though by the time I WAS 13, I learned a little "work" was usually worth the effort...in fact I purchased my very first motorcycle by working at delivering newspapers at just about that time in my life)