Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Manners (continued)

fxreyman; You understood my concerns very well. Like I said 'some' post on general topics is A-OK. I participate in the ones I find interesting as well, I just don't wish these type of threads to dominate. So far they haven't so everything is fine from my perspective.

So Fred, you're sayin' here that these boards HAVE "evolved" since those days, right?! ;)

And even THOUGH this apparent societal "Neanderthal" here(me) evidently is occasionally slowing the advancement of human civil interaction???

LOL

>So Fred, you're sayin' here that these boards HAVE "evolved" since those days, right?!

>

>And even THOUGH this apparent societal "Neanderthal" here(me) evidently is occasionally slowing the advancement of human civil interaction???

No, no, that's way too complicated. :) I just thought it would be funny to show a video of some fighting monkeys, as a metaphor for the way some people (all gone now) used to fight on this board before we had regular moderator. You weren't here back in those days. :)

Well, Fred, I WASN'T here back in those days. But I WAS a member of OTHER forums where the chimp analogy would be fitting.

I thought it was a funny statement. AND probably truer than others might think!

Sepiatone

Edited by: Sepiatone on Jun 20, 2013 1:24 PM

Well then, I'm certainly glad we have one here now, 'cause if you've ever had the misfortune of viewing any of the "Feedback" sections of any of those UN-moderated News websites, then you know that they are populated by an enormous amount of "Neanderthals" spouting their hatred by means of very questionable levels of education in the English language.

Yep, from the insignificant to the extremely pertinent.

And the responses within that spectrum usually consisting of about 99% ridiculous to about 1% sublime.

(...and thus the reason I don't even bother to peruse that section of those websites anymore)

Sometimes if I'm bored or need a laugh I'll read some of them. I swear some people spend their whole day writing comments on websites and arguing.......(NOT US!)

>The one poster who usually has success with posting to get back on topic is TopBilled and usually in his own threads.

Thank you, lzcutter.

Wherever possible, I think threads and subtopics in threads should reflect classic film. And it's even better if it refers to what we are seeing on TCM each day.

Otherwise, why is Person X watching TCM and why is Person X choosing to be a guest on TCM's Message Boards.

>Otherwise, why is Person X watching TCM and why is Person X choosing to be a guest on TCM's Message Boards.

Y do you ask, TB???

(...c'mon, ya HAD to know THAT was comin'!) ;)

Well, here's ya a possible answer to your query here. 'Cause maybe said "Person X" actually enjoys watchin' classic films, IS fairly knowledgeable about the subject(though of course not NEARLY as knowledgeable as YOU are about it), and maybe has the feeling that a strict and concise and to-the-point examination of each and every topic at hand posted within this website might be somewhat engaging leavened with the occasional flip remark.

(...btw, you might have noticed that I seldom interject any of my distasteful attempts at humor within your academically-themed threads around here, haven't ya?) ;)

Yes, Dargo, I notice. And thanks. :)

I thought your best comment to me was the one where you said that comedies like THEY ALL KISSED THE BRIDE are not made today because there are either no Billie Burkes and Roland Youngs around to make them (and make them good); or else today's screenwriters simply are not creating those kinds of parts for middle-aged actors in new rom-coms. That is basically what you said. And after I read that, I thought we have a very intelligent poster who hides behind jokes and silliness-- but deep down is very knowledgeable.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> Maybe there is some way to recharacterize the forums, so that some threads specifically forbid rambling or hijacking, and others do not.

There is a forum in which I now participate which has: "threading" in the style of Usenet and so it is possible to see which post is replying to which post. When a sub-thread becomes more than twelve posts long it is given a new title and set apart as its own thread.

It is in this way that those who are discussing the original topic remain in that thread and those who are delving into a specific aspect or are becoming conversational or controversial are free to pursue their objectives in their own thread.

I know what it is to have a thread hijacked also. I posted on a matter of great import to me. The very first response was a liberal rant. It is fortunate that it was within the time limit and so I was able to edit my post to remove all my original text.

I am guilty also of participating in off-topic discussions. If any poster has complaint against me for doing so I humbly apologize and if they indicate I have been inappropriate towards them then I will try to be diligent in restraining my off-topic posts in their threads in the future.

I've taken a look at Silver Screen Oasis, and the discussions seem to be 100% film-oriented. No meandering, no humor, nothing else. Am I correct?

> I've taken a look at Silver Screen Oasis, and the discussions seem to be 100% film-oriented. No meandering, no humor, nothing else. Am I correct?

Not at all. We have a great deal of fun discussing movies, television and pop culture at the Oasis.

But, it is set up differently than here with two forums set up for off topic conversation- one about Television (where we get some very lively discussions going) and a General Chat forum.

We also have a Guest Star program where we have visits from authors, historians, archivists, etc and they interact with our community.

So, it's not easy to do a direct comparison of the two.

Nitrateville is another forum site dedicated to talking about silent and classic era films and has many archivists and preservationists among its members.

> I've taken a look at Silver Screen Oasis, and the discussions seem to be 100% film-oriented. No meandering, no humor, nothing else. Am I correct?

No, it's not humor-free, but there is somehow a more respectful environment. It strikes me that any punning stays within the topic of the thread, thus if someone say wants to wisecrack about Carmen Miranda's headgear in a Fox musicals thread, it doesn't turn into a comparison of whether bananas are better than men.

I'm just using that for illustrative purposes, but it should suffice. I tend to lurk there more than I post as there is so much to read and sometimes listening is the better part of conversation.

> Wherever possible, I think threads and subtopics in threads should reflect classic film. And it's even better if it refers to what we are seeing on TCM each day.

> Otherwise, why is Person X watching TCM and why is Person X choosing to be a guest on TCM's Message Boards.

I hardly ever watch TCM anymore. Maybe two movies a week at the most. It is definitely NOT on all the time like it is in many people's living rooms. I am much more interested in topics appearing on the message boards than what is on the actual channel. And since as others here have stated, TCM does show similar films every few months, with not as many newer-older films. So I just stay away mostly.

Should that mean then that I should not have the opportunity to communicate with others here on the boards because I am not watching TCM anymore? I think that if you are somewhat knowledgeable about movies, from any decade then you have every right to participate in the boards.

I also participate on the Silver Screen Oasis. I probably comment here more often, but I do find the discussions there to be as lively as they are here, the main difference as lzcutter explained is that the discussions are usually without all of the drama we have here on this message board.

But it is still fun to witness all of the train wrecks here. Hey there goes another thread..... up in smoke.

There have been instances where some people have related to us stories about how they can not afford the cable channel due to the fact that based on their cable provider that is offering TCM, the rates are in a higher tier or programming. And this is why some others who post here also do not have TCM at home to watch, but do gather here to comment on films.

Edited by: fxreyman on Jun 20, 2013 6:41 PM

> I assume that the humor at SSO, as opposed to that in these environs, is pretty much G-rated.

From what I've seen, I'd have to agree with that. That isn't a knock either as there was one web site on mostly vintage films that I used to love to frequent and participate in almost daily. Then the head moderator passed away and the whole tone of the place has changed now that someone else is in charge. You can't even post an obit thread without it degenerating into juvenile humor. This is no exaggeration, there's not a recently deceased personality who manages to avoid the skewering.

Clore,

Thanks for the kind words about the Oasis and its participants.

We are lucky at the Oasis, I guess, that while our members take the talk there serious they also like to have fun.

I liked your description in calling it a respectful environment. That fits it a T!

Sorry to hear about your experience with that other site.

These boards, as opposed to SSO, seem more attuned to "pushing the envelope", and, as an envelope pusher from way back, that is fine with me.

> These boards, as opposed to SSO, seem more attuned to "pushing the envelope", and, as an envelope pusher from way back, that is fine with me

I do have to agree with you that the focus here, as of late, is more about "pushing the envelope" than discussions about films and TCM.

You're quite welcome lz, I'm pleased to have been able to say something positive about the site.