Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Manners (continued)

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}These boards, as opposed to SSO, seem more attuned to "pushing the envelope", and, as an envelope pusher from way back, that is fine with me.

I checked it out once and it seemed to be a gathering place for film buff elitist

and rather clannish.

And you know what, that's OK by me. Folks have a right to gather with whom

they choose.

Jake in the Heartland

> I checked it out once and it seemed to be a gathering place for film buff elitist and rather clannish.

I think you are way off base with this comment Jake. I think you may have skimped through a few of the threads there. Many people go there to get away from the craziness that happens here. There are many different types of folks who post there and yes, to the casual observer it may seem "clannish" but that is a very small group of folks on a very small group of threads.

The reason why the SSO was started was pretty darn clear back in 2007:

*moirafinnie, Sun Apr 15, 2007*

*The impetus behind the Silver Screen Oasis (SSO) was pretty simple:*

*My reason for beginning this group (SSO) was my frustration caused by constantly trying to sift through the rampant antagonism found over on the good ol' TCM site. It became increasingly hard to unearth the intelligent and revelatory comments of the real film lovers who relish discussion. Since I was aware from others that many were equally appalled by the bad manners of some posters, my hope is that we could find someplace to develop a fun, collegial atmosphere to discuss, (and even disagree), about movies again.*

> And you know what, that's OK by me. Folks have a right to gather with whom they choose.

Now I would agree with this statment.

I tried to join the SSO back in 2011 before I joined here, because I felt more intimidated by this board. I was to submit my information, and the registration page said, "the administrator will review your account, and if approved..." No one ever got back to me, so I just shrugged it off and joined here.

This isn't a slam against SSO - I bring it up because now that we're talking about them I am wondering what the heck happened. :)

Eugenia,

Sorry about that! Not sure what happened but we did have some technical issues back then might have contributed to that.

If you would still like to join, please PM me and we'll get you registered!!

> {quote:title=EugeniaH wrote:}{quote}I tried to join the SSO back in 2011 before I joined here, because I felt more intimidated by this board. I was to submit my information, and the registration page said, "the administrator will review your account, and if approved..." No one ever got back to me, so I just shrugged it off and joined here.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> This isn't a slam against SSO - I bring it up because now that we're talking about them I am wondering what the heck happened. :)

Don't know what happened but anyone who knows as much as

you do about Barbara Stanwyck should be a great candidate for

any informed film buff forum.

Jake

Everyone who posts here has access to the TCM schedule. There was a time when I was moving to a new condo, and I had taken a short vacation and I was without cable for about a month. I was still posting here each day and commenting about what TCM was airing-- because they were films I had either already seen or could find somewhere else (like at Netflix). So just because someone does not have TCM in their home, they are not automatically excluded from discussing what is happening on TCM.

>We also have a Guest Star program where we have visits from authors, historians, archivists, etc and they interact with our community.

I thought the one with Carl Rollyson, author of the Dana Andrews bio, was very well done. I had read about it here on a Hot Topics thread and went over and checked out his posts. I ended up emailing him directly through his website and had an on-going discussion with him for a few months about Dana. He was very willing to spend time talking about his research and the book he had just published.

It would be nice if TCM could sponsor such events on these Message Boards. Have they tried it before...?

In the first incarnation of the TCM website there was a Visiting Artist section. Remnants of that may be found using the Internet Archive's Wayback machine ( I came across it via the Wayback machine about five years ago).

The one interview that I was able to find was with Harry Carey, Jr.

A few years ago, as part of the *31 Days of Oscar*, they held an online Q&A with Robert O (the forum is archived down in the sub-forums).

Those are the only instances I know of.

Look at the way we treat TCM staffers here: their intelligence has been questioned, during *Employee Picks* one of the staffers had their looks disparaged and another was discounted as being too stupid to form his own opinion about the end of *The Searchers* (TCM had to tell him what he to say!) and consider how posters talk about Ben M and Drew Barrymore on any given day.

Given that, TCM may not feel comfortable inviting authors, historians, etc to participate in a Visiting Artist capacity.

"Pushing the envelope" and discussing films are not mutually exclusive. In trying to "push the envelope", though, it is fairly easy to get diverted.

>"Pushing the envelope" and discussing films are not mutually exclusive.

Gotta agree with finance here.

Back when I worked in the mail room, we'd talk about movies ALL the time!

(...well, that is whenever that stick-in-the-mud Supervisor wasn't around away)

>the focus here, as of late, is more about "pushing the envelope" than discussions about films and TCM.

I agree with you. Plenty of people here do this on purpose as a game, to see how much they can get away with, without a thread being locked. They seem to have little interest in discussing classic films, and they use the board only as a place to play games, post hundreds of tweets they think are funny, irritate other people, argue with other people, and condemn other people who have opinions they disagree with. And some use the board as if it is their own private blog, to talk about subjects they are interested in but that have nothing at all to do with either movies or TV shows.

...and some people use it to insult other 'Posters' and think it is funny when it is NOT, just downright ignorant !

A Visiting Artist feature on the boards would certainly be nice.

It definitely is a problem when posters trash on-air personalities. I agree that Drew is often bashed on these boards and most of it is unwarranted.

>and some people use it to insult other 'Posters' and think it is funny when it is NOT, just downright ignorant !

Yes, I've noticed that. :)

Capuchin participates in a writers' forum which has occasional best-selling writers visit. It is sad to say that even among such people it is necessary for a moderator to sweep the boards for malicious posts and then has to be online at the same time as the guest to approve each post before the guest sees it. I understand the frustration level must be high for good writers because of the limited markets while hacks receive huge amounts for barely comprehensible scrawls but I believed there would be more of a spirit of camaraderie.

A person has reminded me that it should be easy for me to remain decorous on these boards because if I ever see the need for some poster to be advised strongly of a need to obtain knowledge, intelligence and a personality before continuing the discussion and to lose their knucklehead attitude and confrontational style then all I need do is freely rip them a new one in a finely textured language which is written in Cyrillic. Changing only one letter in each word would make it immune to machine translation and so I will have vented sans risk of being banned. :)

Just thinking out loud (online): I wonder how easy it is to change "board culture". I think Michael does a good job with strong offenders, but he can't (or shouldn't) police every post and every poster. It sounds like there are some people wishing for some changes, but some posters have been here for a long time now and have their own styles, and they have established "relationships" with other posters as well (for example, you will often see banter between two particular posters, etc.)

....you will often see banter between two particular posters.

There is a '''''HUGE''' difference between "banter between two particular posters" and out and out insulting a 'Poster', as I am sure you will agree !

Yes, I agree. I was referring to posts between two people with a spirit of equal good will. I've seen the "insulting" kind as well, that to me seemed uncalled for.

I have seen Michael come to the defense of some posters like Finance. It was when a new poster was insulted by him, but Michael replied that he was generally a good long term member and that one just had to get use to his style.

(but I have yet to see the admin do the same for Dargo). :)

Dargo and finance are certainly the court jesters around here, but I think that they're genuinely nice people and a lot of fun. They are also interested in classic film, and can contribute intelligently to the discussion. :)

(Okay, you two owe me one...)