Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

Manners (continued)

> It definitely is a problem when posters trash on-air personalities.

One thing that occurred to me during one of the early pile-ons about Ben M, is that words like actions have consequences. We like to think they don't, but in real life and in the virtual world, they do.

More than one poster has said how wonderful it would be if the staff would engage with us on a regular basis.

We know from various news sources that they read these forums and based on what has been posted about not only the on-air personalities but the staff as well, who can blame them for keeping their distance.

>then all I need do is freely rip them a new one in a finely textured language which is written in Cyrillic.

"CYRILLIC"?!

Well folks, looks like we can add yet ANOTHER to that long list of languages the lady here is fluent in!

;)

>Dargo and finance are certainly the court jesters around here, but I think that they're genuinely nice people and a lot of fun. They are also interested in classic film, and can contribute intelligently to the discussion. (Okay, you two owe me one...)

Don't worry, Eugenia...I know at least MY check is in the mail to ya now!

(...finance, as always, is on his own) ;)

SansFin:

Did you know that you can place the Cyrillic text on this forum, like this?

Знаете ли вы, что вы можете разместить кириллический текст на этом форуме?

>I have seen Michael come to the defense of some posters like Finance. It was when a new poster was insulted by him, but Michael replied that he was generally a good long term member and that one just had to get use to his style. (but I have yet to see the admin do the same for Dargo).

And THAT'S 'cause I send a check to Michael the Admin, the first of every month TOO!!!

(...I just write it off my taxes under "Insurance") ;)

Okay Fred! I just copied and pasted that into that handy-dandy online "Cyrillic to English Translation" website(I think their server is in Minsk), and I gotta say I absolutely RESENT what you infer there!

(...I ONLY ever did that once...on a dare...and after I had had a few too many shots of Vodka...so I'm excused...well, a little anyway)

> {quote:title=Dargo2 wrote:}{quote}

> Well folks, looks like we can add yet ANOTHER to that long list of languages the lady here is fluent in!

Cyrillic is not a language. It is an alphabet. I believe that more than two dozen languages use it.

I mention it only because I was taught some "unsociable" words in Romani which are particularly descriptive and for which there is no adequate translation. It is also that they do not look right when put into Latin letters.

Моё судно на воздушной подушке полно угрей! :(

Yeah, I knew that, Sans. ;)

But my little ongoing inside joke with you wouldn't have worked(though evidently it didn't) unless I feigned ignorance in this regard.

> {quote:title=Dargo2 wrote:}{quote}

> But my little ongoing inside joke with you wouldn't have worked(though evidently it didn't) unless I feigned ignorance in this regard.

I am so very sorry. I did not understand. It is very often that I must explain things to people because they have had no experience of them. There are people who do not understand why it is so very difficult for me to read Russian written in Latin letters. There are so very many things swirling inside my mind at this moment of what people do not understand that if I were to try to list even a few then it would read like a mindless rambling rant.

I am truly sorry I did not recognize the humor.

There's certainly no need or reason to apologize here, Sans my lady.

(...you're in some FINE company when it comes to those who don't get my humor!) ;)

LOL

> {quote:title=fxreyman wrote:}{quote}

> > Swithin wrote:Yes, lots of other threads and forums, but look at the dates! Does anyone ever go there? Once I went into an Alfred Hitchcock thread, and it was all these posters talking about their personal lives.

> Who cares about the dates? If you want to add your thoughts to a particular thread then do so. Eventually discussion will start up again. That is one of the problems with this board. There are sooo many threads here that you could go for weeks or months without having any posts made. ...

>

>

Of course we care about the dates on the threads. I've often checked out the "Film and FilmMakers" forum, and will read and sometimes post on the threads there. Interesting topics, usually, and very movie-focussed. But then, nothing happens. Most of the time the posts (not just mine, anyone's) there sort of languish for a while, and then the thread forlornly fades down to page 2.

The "dates" on the threads matter, because most of us go on these message boards for interaction, to share our own ideas and to discover others' about the same thing - a particular film, or director, or whatever it may be.

So if someone starts an interesting thread in "Films and FilmMakers" and I respond to it, and then my lone little post -or anyone's - just sits there for days, there's not much fun in participating on those particular threads.

I think that's what Swithin meant; the topics on those forums might be really interesting, hard-core movie-lover material, but if hardly anyone responds to the threads, if there's no "action" on them, then it's not a whole lot of fun to post on them.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote} ...I do have to agree with you that the focus here, as of late, is more about "pushing the envelope" than discussions about films and TCM.

But lzcutter, no offence, but I've noticed that both you and kyle, while the two of you will often participate on a thread like this, one which is a discussion about the TCM message board itself, neither of you, as far as I can tell, actually post very often on actual theads discussing movies. I'm not talking about the "joking" threads, but about interesting and "serious" (whatever we mean by that) thread topics. Some recent ones are the threads about "Dark Passage", "Scaramouche", the Film Noir Friday Night thread (ok, that one's mine, but the others aren't) and Tom's "Barlowe" thread.

Maybe you two just visit different forums, or maybe you've been on this website so long,you've already discussed everything and don't feel the need to do so again.

Fair enough. I'm just curious, I'm not trying to be provocative or challenging here. But I have observed that neither you nor kyle post very much on discussion threads, even legitimate ones (at least the ones I go on) , unless they are , as I said, conversations about behaviour on the message boards themselves.

I've often wondered why I don't see you guys posting comments on the dicscussion threads here very often. And theyr'e not all "silly", or even if so, many do more or less stay on topic.

Edited by: misswonderly on Jun 22, 2013 1:17 AM

Thanks Miss W., that is what I meant. We may be communicating about classic movies, but conversations are within the here and now. The mood/interest dissipates, you can't really feel the same fervor for a conversation a few days or weeks later.

MsW,

I've been a member of these forums for over 8 years. These days, my real life doesn't always offer me the opportunity to watch TCM to the extent that many here are able.

I have also posted extensively over the years on a variety of films and subject matter. And though I may not post as often as in the past, I am a daily reader of these forums.

Part of it is also, as hibi pointed out in an earlier post in this thread, the lack of in-depth conversation as of late. And he is not the only one that has commented on the dearth of that type of conversation. Earlier today, TikiSoo posted in a thread with the opening line that basically said, "Thank goodness.... a real "general discussion!", so it's just not Kyle and me that are noticing it and posting about it in this thread.

I' don't think that many of the film discussion threads traffic in high brow elitist text (as has been described in other posts). I do think there are posters here who want to add something to the conversation but feel their voices are being drowned out.

I don't think anyone here is advocating for these boards being a fun-free zone where only serious discussion is allowed.

But, maybe there could be a happy medium that allows for those who want to have a good time to be able to continue to do so. It just shouldn't come at the expense of those who are engaged in a conversation and watch as the conversation gets hijacked in the name of fun.

The fact that this topic keeps coming up every few months perhaps points to the need for more of that happy medium.

Hope that helps answer your questions.

>But, maybe there could be a happy medium...

Is THAT all you're askin' for here, Bunkie...err..I mean Iz?

Well, okay...HERE ya go then....

920208602_9d09c96c61.jpg

(...lemme guess...this "wasn't actually" what ya meant, huh) ;)

I don't get all this hand-wringing. What do people want, endless threads praising their favorite on-screen crushes? I find that sort of thread tedious, sort of like teenagers being smitten by stardom rather than about movies. But I find there's enough to comment about on this board, and one can always start a thread.

Some random thoughts...

No disrespect here misswonderly, but do you ever go to the Favorites forum or any of the Genre forums? If you did, I am sure you would find quite a few threads where both Kyle and Lynn (lzcutter) go to and comment on.

These are the forums where the great discussions and dissections of films occur. And that is where you will find many of the hard-core, old-timers talking about the films they love. Some of those folks long ago abandoned the General and Hot Topics forums for the more insightful Favorites and Genre forums.

I've said it before and it is worth noting again that the General Discussions forum while it has a lot of great and useful threads, it is most often the place where more threads are locked up and people get placed on post-moderation or are banned outright.

There seems to be something akin to lawlessness here on occasion, where many fine threads are thrown into disarray, and confusion and where many arguments unfold. I should know, I was one of two posters who got a thread locked up recently.

As I have explained several times to more than one poster I often come here to the General Discussions forum to participate because of the light-heartedness of the thread. Though there are some really thoughtful discussions here on GD, there are many more insightful, interesting, and longer discussions on the Favorites and Genre forums.

When I go to those two other forums, I have to have my A game on display. Those two forums to me are akin to comparing Triple A ball to the major leagues. Triple A is pretty good, but not good enough to compete with the majors.

When I visit those two other forums, that is where I usually get very involved and really have to put my thinking cap on. Serious discussions there. Fun? Yes, very much so. I think that when you are in a discussion that is heavy on the analysis, you have to be willing to accept the fact that you have to have some pretty darn good arguments and facts to help support your theories. This is very fun and can be adventurous.

fxreyman;

There's one or two threads on the "Favourites" forum that I go on regularly. There's never been any drama on them, they're quite fun. Maybe because they're about music, which soothes the savage breast, according to William Congreve. So when we go there, we get our breasts soothed.

(How come that doesn't sound quite right? ]:) )

Well, sure, I'll check 'em out again. I have often seen good topics on the "Films and Filmmakers" forum, just not much action on them. But hey, maybe we should all go there, and shake things up.

I used to go on the "Noir" forum a lot, but some of my favourite people there left the TCM boards, for whatever reasons.

Also, fxreyman baby, some of those threads are almost officially closed to the general public. They do have lively and fun discussions, going into great depth sometimes about movies, but I haven't checked them out in a long time because they are limited to a handful of people who seem to know each other well, and are happy with their threads just the way they are -ie, newcomers need not apply.

I'm not complaining about this, I long ago stopped caring; but to suggest that others who want involved discussion around films might find satisfaction on those threads is a "no go" for me.

And -again, no offense to the little group who have those threads, but last time I checked, they can get just as giggly and off-topic as the ones on "General Discussions".

Edited by: misswonderly on Jun 22, 2013 11:23 AM

> Also, fxreyman baby, some of those threads are almost officially closed to the general public. They do have lively and fun discussions, going into great depth sometimes about movies, but I haven't checked them out in a long time because they are limited to a handful of people who seem to know each other well, and are happy with their threads just the way they are -ie, newcomers need not apply.

I don't think that those threads are "officially closed to the general public" As you have written. Maybe the reason you and or others don't go there is that you're not interested in discussing films more in depth than you are here on General Discussions or other forums. And this is NOT a knock on your capabilities.

> I'm not complaining about this, I long ago stopped caring; but to suggest that others who want involved discussion around films might find satisfaction on those threads is a "no go" for me.

I am sorry you feel this way. But I think you underestimate yourself. You can post there and they will communicate with you. Many people around here enjoy what you have to say in your posts. Why would it be any different over there? Just because you have had trouble posting in the past?

As far as feeling satisfied, well I can't help you there. Sometimes I will post on General Discussions and no one ever responds to me. Maybe there is a reason for that, maybe some don't want to converse with me or maybe they like to avoid me. Who knows? That does not deter me from posting what I want to say.

> And -again, no offense to the little group who have those threads, but last time I checked, they can get just as giggly and off-topic as the ones on "General Discussions".

Yes we can.

And as far as I'M concerned, there's the operative word.

"GENERAL" discussions.

I rest my case.

Sepiatone

Okay. After sleeping on this overnight, I awoke this morning to have a change of heart, and must admit my earlier "happy medium" visual pun off of Iz's previous post was rather misplaced and not germane in any manner at all to the general discussions about classic films we all should endeavor to stick to at this website.

And so for that I apologize.

Yep, I SHOULD have posted THIS picture INSTEAD...

the-crystal-ball-movie-poster-1943-10205