Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Manners

misswonderly3

> {quote:title=SansFin wrote:}{quote}

> ...a stereotype in the same way as ... or a Belgian being a Belgian.

SansFin, are you at all familiar with "Monty Python's Flying Circus" ? They once did a hilarious sketch in which a game show featured bigotry as its theme; the challenge of the day was to come up with a nasty slur word for Belgians.

One contestant suggested "The Phlegms". Another offered "The Sprouts". But the hands-down winner was the one who simply demanded that they be called "Stupid Fat Belgian Bastards".

Edited by: misswonderly on Jun 18, 2013 8:50 PM

( I wish I could post the youtube clip here, but for some reason that function in my computer is not working right now.)

Edited by: misswonderly on Jun 18, 2013 9:08 PM

> {quote:title=twinkeee wrote:}{quote}"what is Canadian-ness"?

>

> Being Canadian and living in Canada, I have 'Never' heard of "Canadian-ness"!

>

>

> The word, ( if it Is a word), does Not exist!

>

Twinkeee my sweet, that is why SansFin put it in quotation marks. Quotation marks have a number of functions, among them being to indicate a possible self-consciousness surrounding the word, or an awareness that the word may not be a valid one.

Hey, twinkee, you can add quotation marks to your punctuation collection ! Exclamation points, ellipsis, and now quotation marks !

! ! ! ... ... ... " " "

Who knows, the semi-colon may be next ! ( ; ; ; )

One time, around 1949, my folks and I drove up North in northern Montana, and we crossed the border into Canada. I looked forward to that trip because I expected to see a bunch of men on horseback, wearing red coats, and I expected to see several French trappers wearing big plaid shirts and knit caps, and maybe a few half-Indian/half-French girls speaking with an accent. That's what I had seen in a lot of Canadian/western movies.

But I was disappointed when we arrived in a little Canadian town, because everyone there looked just like us, they sounded like us, they talked like us, and all the local food was the same as ours.

And, in fact, northern Montana people have no stereotypes either, except for Western cowboys in old movies. So, the Canadians were the same as us and we were the same as the Canadians, and that's all I've ever thought about Canada.

Here's an example of a half-French/half-Indian girl, of the kind that were common in old Canadian Western movies. But I saw none of these during my one trip to Canada, 64 years ago:

optimized-paulette-goddard-mounted-polic

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> > Good one, Fred baby.

> Yeah, well, I think you've been hanging around us too much, because you certainly sound like us. You've become one of us without realizing it. You've lost your "Canadian-ness". :)

Horrors, no ! Not that !

(Seriously, I don't think so. How do you mean?)

> {quote:title=Dargo2 wrote:}{quote}Heck Sans, I just kinda sorta mentioned one...

>

> "49th Parallel" !

>

> (...LOVE it when Raymond Massey kicks the ever-lovin' shi...err..MAPLE LEAFS outta Eric Portman over Niagra at the end of that baby...LOVE it!!!!)

Dropping into this thread, it's amusing to find it presently consumed by our courteous, hockey-loving, syrup-sticky Northern neighbors (yes, I'm being deliberately stereotypical ;) ).

Just wanted to say this was the first pic that jumped to mind for me. Great movie. Oh, but Laurence Olivier and his French Canadian accent! :D FYI - the only instance where Raymond Massey got to play a citizen of his home country.

*For those of you who may not be aware, it is considered bad manners to talk about politics or religion at the dinner table or on the TCM forums. If that's what you want to talk about, do it via PM or on another forum in a galaxy far, far away.*

*Mr. Froy, that includes comments about modern political commentators. Modern political and religious discussions often cause conniptions(see below) in otherwise nice people. This quickly devolves into a battle of unpleasantness and these same nice people wind up on post-moderation. No one likes that, so the rule is:*

*Modern Politics and Religion: Just say nothing at all. Go somewhere else if that's what you want to comment on.*

*Conniptions: A fit of rage or hysterics: "the casting choice gave the TCM posters a conniption.*

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}In what way have we started talking about politics or religion? I mean, I know some people worship Canadians, but does that count?

>

> Seriously, I cannot imagine what you are objecting to on this thread. Can you spell it out for me?

I didn't get it at first, either. You have to go back a while - there was some discussion of Pat Buchanan, William F. Buckley, George Will, etc. earlier in the thread.

Yeah! NOT to mentioned those ANARCHISTS...Harpo, Chico, Groucho(and occasionally Zeppo) TOO!

So LET'S all watch our collective P's(which I remind you, does NOT stand for "politics"!!!) and Q's(which I suppose COULD stand for "Quebec"...that is if you can stand those French-Canadians), here People!!!

Yes, but Mr. Froy's and the others' comments did not devolve into fighting or name -calling or acrimonious feeling of any kind.

I think we're all having fun here.

Ok, I know what will get things going, and then the moderator will really have something to complain about:

Americans, without looking it up now: Who is the current Prime Minister of Canada?

(shirley that is not a political question.)

Hello, mrroberts: I'm sorry to say, I did not much like *Canadian Bacon*. Although to be fair, I can't remember it all that well.

A good movie for cheerfully exploiting Canadian stereotypes is the probably long forgotten *Strange Brew*, featuring Dave Thomas and Rick Moranis. They were pretty funny.

(Is this getting too political?)