Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

That's Entertaiment III

Terrence1

I just finished watching "That's Entertainment III" and Debbie Reynolds introduced a musical number by Xavier Cugat, but didn't mention the name of the movie. It seemed to be a terrific musical number, and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me from which movie this number comes from? I think this was about the only scene in the movie where they didn't identify the movie where it was featured. Any ideas?

Terrence.

• 9 months later...

I'm such a fan of this entry in the series.  Of course, nothing replaces seeing the first one, on the enormous motion picture screen, when certain segments expanded to 70MM and full stereophonic sound,  So great; but, after what I felt was a very disappointing Part II, Part III redeemed itself, very nicely.  I've always been perplexed by the omission of my absolute favorite number from any MGM musical, "He's My Friend", from THE UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN.  Perfectly rendered number, with a first-rate build to incredibly dancing by Gus Trikonis, Grover Dale and Debbie Reynolds.  Lesser entries made it, but nothing from this film.  Odd.

It is a fascinating number. I kind of wish TCM could create a That's Entertainment IV.

They sort of did. There is (was?) a 4-disc DVD set of the series, with the fourth disc being two-sided, one side being featurettes and newsreels and the second side being a video "jukebox" of musical numbers, presumably left out of the three theatrical releases. It doesn't take the place of what a TE IV could be, but it certainly adds to what we have with the first three.  It would probably be a lot harder to line up hosts after all these years, but I personally wouldn't mind seeing Robert and Ben do it. I loved when TCM programmed the films for New Year's Eve. What a perfect way to celebrate.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I've loved this series for years!  As much as I would love to see a That's Entertainment IV, it wouldn't be the same considering only one of the personalities that "hosted" the series is alive.  It would have to be done with great care with the right people to be worth seeing.

That's Entertainment! is a fantastic introduction to musicals and entertainers you might not have otherwise considered watching.  They're also good for those all-nighters when you're trying to finish a paper on time and need some mindless entertainment to keep you going!

• 2 weeks later...

I've loved this series for years!  As much as I would love to see a That's Entertainment IV, it wouldn't be the same considering only one of the personalities that "hosted" the series is alive.  It would have to be done with great care with the right people to be worth seeing.

That's Entertainment! is a fantastic introduction to musicals and entertainers you might not have otherwise considered watching.  They're also good for those all-nighters when you're trying to finish a paper on time and need some mindless entertainment to keep you going!

There's always "That's Dancing!" from 1985. While not exactly part of the series, it is connected to it. And you get to see more musical scenes.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings