Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any Summer under the Stars suggestions?

Well it's getting to be that time again where Turner Classic Movies pays homage to the classic film artists of Hollywood's Golden Era in Films with their annual Summer Under the Stars festival--a 24hr tribute dedicated to each star all summer long. I know one of my favorite actresses Lana Turner will be featured as part of their lineup but does anyone have any other actresses or actors that you would like TCM to showcase next year? For me I would love to have Leslie Howard featured in their primetime lineup; I was deeply grateful to TCM for having him as their Star of the Month for July 2012 but I feel that more of his films should be shown more often because he was such an amazing, enduring, masterful, awe-inspiring and vastly talented silver screen artisan with a cinematic, debonair, romantic and ingenious aura about him...to this day I have so much respect, appreciation, love and admiration for Howard and his body of work!!

> {quote:title=Maliejandra wrote:}{quote}

> I think it is high time Dick Powell was honored. He was a versatile actor whose films please a wide variety of classic film fans.

Powell would be an excellent choice, especially if they concentrate on his small studio noirs and go light on his early "juvenile" roles. I love those 1933 Busby Berkeley musicals he was in, but they've been played to death over the past few years, and it'd be nice to see something a bit less shopworn.

And of course the real scandal regarding both SOTM and SUTS omissions continues to be the absence of George Sanders, who for some inexplicable reason has never been afforded either honor. It sure would be nice to hear the official TCM explanation for this, because it certainly can't have to do with either the lack of available titles or any lack of memorable roles he's had to play in them.

Kenneth Tobey, if offbeat, not the usual suspects for a selection are allowed.

George Sanders, if overlooked is the criteria.

Charlotte Rampling, if a modern re-evaluation of a filmography is the angle.

Walter Huston is a favorite.

I actually like Joan Leslie and Anne Shirley so either one would be good with me (they played a lot a similar roles so I wouldn't expect both to be honored in the same year.)

Dean Stockwell, one of my favorite child and adult actors.

I can't believe I got my dream a couple of years ago when Jean Gabin was honored but the ones I didn't get to see that were on my DVR got wiped out when my cable box went on the fritz, so they could have him again. Or Gerard Depardieu.

Thank you everyone for the great suggestions regarding the Summer Under the Stars festival; I cannot believe that I've overlooked both Sanders & Andrews as well as Dick Powell whom I've deeply enjoyed very much in film noir and immensely underrated at that but very talented. Aside from Howard and Turner, I would also love to see: Zachary Scott, Elizabeth Hartman, Richard Basehart, Eve Arden, Michael Redgrave, Margaret Sullavan, Robert Ryan, Binnie Barnes, Dirk Bogarde, Audrey Hepburn, Basil Rathbone, Grace Kelly, Ricardo Cortez, Mary Ure, Robert Stack, Merle Oberon, David Niven and Frances Dee just to name a few!

> {quote:title=AndyM108 wrote:

> }{quote} Powell would be an excellent choice, especially if they concentrate on his small studio noirs and go light on his early "juvenile" roles. I love those 1933 Busby Berkeley musicals he was in, but they've been played to death over the past few years, and it'd be nice to see something a bit less shopworn.

Agree that a more "mature" Powell day would be a good route (though I too love a good showgirl kaleidoscope :) ). I just watched Pitfall (with Powell, Lizabeth Scott, Raymond Burr and Jane Wyatt) for the first time, and it would be a welcome entry.