Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Flix To Groove HARD To!!! Monday, June 24-Sunday, June 30!!!

markbeckuaf

TCM Flix to GROOVE Hard TO! Mon, June 24-Sun, June 30!!!

Wow, we're closing out June already!!! To check in on the few remaining days of the current week, I invite you to link to my previous groovesfest here: http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=169699&tstart=30

And before diving into the flix starting this coming Monday gotta give an additional shout out for tonight's Eddie Muller hosted Noir/crime writers theme!!! You start with George Raft, you are definitely getting my attention, baby! NOCTURNE is where it's at, and Raft is gonna hum my evening along, he's my kind of guy, man! What a tough mug! Then it's Robert Young messin with 3, count 'em 3!!! dames...Robert, who woulda thunk it???!!! And then heavy hitters DOUBLE INDEMNITY (featuring a tour-de-force supporting performance by one Eddie G!!!) and THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE to round out the night. Oh yeah, you KNOW what I'm gonna be doing on MY Friday night!!! For the one coming up this next week too!!!

Ok..on to the week's grooves!! Let me just straighten up a bit after that all night Mamie Doren fest, wooooooooo!!! Wowza!!! Who needs summer when you have Mamie??!! :)

Hope everyone is doing well and grooving to TCM!!! Monday, June 24 kicks off with a Freddie Mac comedy, CALLAWAY WENT THATAWAY (1951), along with Dottie McGuire and Howard Keel! It's a day filled with doubles/duplicates/impersonations, and it rounds out with Eddie G in a winner from 1935, THE WHOLE TOWN'S TALKING, at 6pm est!!! Also starring Jean Arthur, Arthur Hohl, Wally Ford, Edward Brophy and Donald Meek, this is an outstanding gangster/comedy flick (Eddie G seemed to excel at them!!) where Eddie gets to play a comedic character against type as well as another character which reflects his total gangster, tough mug image! Great performance and coolio flick!!

Eleanor Parker owns Mondays in June as our Star of the Month, and she goes out in style with Kirk Douglas in DETECTIVE STORY (1951)!! This is an awesome flick, one that I haven't had the pleasure to see in a lonnnnng time, so I'm really looking forward to grooving! This one features a really great cast as well, including William Bendix, Cathy O'Donnell, George MacReady and Frank Faylen!!! Catch it in prime time right at 8pm EST!!! Not to be outdone, Freddie Mac returns to hang out with Eleanor in the heartwarming comedy, A MILLIONAIRE FOR CHRISTY (1951)!!! I dig this one and can't wait!!! A bit later, at 1:45am to be exact, Ol' Blue Eyes himself in one of his most powerful performances, THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM (1955)!!! Along with Eleanor, this one also features sexy gorgeous Kim Novak and Darren McGavin in one of his sleaziest roles!! This one is on fairly often and it's PD so it's quite readily available, but it still packs a wallop every time!! Up next, the King himself decides to mix it up with Eleanor, and it's a flick I've not seen before, so I'm gonna check it out! I totally dig on Gable, so I'm pretty sure I'll groove to this Western! Another flick I've not seen is A HOLE IN THE HEAD (1959), Ol' Blue Eyes returns this time directed by Frank Capra, and Eddie G shows up in this one too! I simply MUST check this one out!!

Eleanor doesn't want to go home from this party, and who can blame her? She's still rocking out at 7:45am on Tuesday, June 25, with yet another flick that sounds intriguing to me and I haven't seen yet: AN AMERICAN DREAM (1966)--murder, eluding police, hoodlum gangs?? It all sounds totally groovin'!! It stars Stuart Whitman, Janet Leigh and of course our girl, Eleanor!!!

I'm a total sucka for courtroom dramas, so I gotta be checking out TIME LIMIT, up later in the day at 5:30pm!! Starring Richard Widmark, Richard Basehart, June Lockhart and Martin Balsam this one looks to be riveting, gotta check it out!

TCM Primetime for Tuesday will be "Schoolgirl Crushes"!!! Wow, somehow I think a pre-code should be in there in some way, but no...however, the one I'm gonna be groovin' to is yet another flick I haven't seen before: THE RIVER (1951)!!! Directed by Jean Renoir, this one looks to be pretty radically good, so gotta check it. This is the day of new flix for me, so thank you, TCM!!

Wednesday daytime is totally radically groovalicious!!! Featuring a lineup of crime/noir flix from 1950, it kicks off with Ida Lupino directing Mala Powers, Tod Andrews and Jerry Paris in OUTRAGE (1950)!!! May seem tame by today's standards, but it was more than likely breakin' ground back in lil ol' 1950!!! Next up, it's a flick I haven't seen in a long time and I'm already drooling, cos it's hotcha sexy Marie Windsor showing up with Richard Denning in DOUBLE DEAL (1950)!! This one is a low budget goodie, baby!! Joan Fontaine being a bad girl???!!! Yep, in BORN TO BE BAD (1950) with Robert Ryan and...gulp....Zachary Scott!! Then it's The Mick gettin' into all kinds of mayhem and trouble in QUICKSAND (1950)!!! Once it starts for the Mick, it's a slippery slope here, with femme fatale, Jeanne Cagney (yep, sis of Jimmy!!) wrapping him around her little finger, and even Peter Lorre shows up in creepy fine form, this low budget public domain noir is one not to miss!! Another one not to miss is up next, again, low budget, but rocks, DESTINATION MURDER (1950) with Joyce MacKenzie, Stanley Clements and Hurd Hatfield, with a totally awesome twist that you just might not see coming!! Marshall Thompson comes unglued in DIAL 1119 (1950) a very underrated thriller, also featuring the sexy dame Andrea King, Virginia Field, Sam Levene and William Conrad!!! Another one not to miss, as is the next one, ARMORED CAR ROBBERY (1950), with tough as nails Charlie McGraw, and say it ain't so, DA Hamilton Burger as a crummy no good mug, well, William Talman anyhoo, also featuring sexalicious bunny Adele Jergens, and Steve Brodie, this one doesn't miss a beat and keeps the action and tough talk coming fast and heavy!!! It'a all about the mob in BLACK HAND (1950), a turn of the century (20th, not 21st silly!!) featuring Gene Kelly, Carrol Naish Marc Lawrence, and Teresa Celli!!! And wrapping up the day, natch, is THE ASPHALT JUNGLE, always rockin'!!

Wednesday night's guest programmer is Joseph Abboud, and he picks a slate of heavy hitters, but my groove of the night may not be one he actually selected as it's the last one of the overnight, coming on at 5am, it's Bogie in a totally hilarious WWII programmer, ALL THROUGH THE NIGHT (1942)!!! If you haven't checked this one out, it's highly recommended, with a dream cast!!! Aside from Bogie, you have Conrad Veidt, the lovely Kaaren Verne, Jane Darwell, Peter Lorre (creepy as ever!!), DAme Judith Anderson (being wicked yo!), resident Nazi typecast dude Martin Kosleck, Jackie Gleason, Phil Silvers, William Demarest, and my main men Barton MacLane, Frank McHugh and Edward Brophy!!!! Whew!!! No doubt, man!!! Yeah, this one might not have hit it back when it was released because of the tone of the nation and world around that time, but now, man, it sure resonates!! Funniest scene EVER with Bogie and Demarest trying to pass themselves off as engineers who are spies for the Nazis!!! OMG, just thinking of it has me rolling!!!

Now a lot of things make TCM really shine brightly on that old durn cable dial! But I have to tell ya, one of those things is just the daytime on Thursday, how TCM will feature folks in the industry (actors, writers, directors, you name it) who are often overlooked or very little known, even among diehard classic film fans! And man, how about that Thursday lineup, featuring for the first four flix director Felix Feist!!! It kicks off with a totally groovalicious noir/crime flick too!!! THE THREAT (1949), another of those lower budget flix that just rock and roll all the way through, featuring tough dude Charlie McGraw, Michael O'Shea, Virginia Grey, Robert Shayne, Anthony Caruso and Julie Bishop, this one just hums it, daddio!!! 7am, don't miss it!!! Then a flick I've seen around a lot, but never tried out, gonna give it a go, THE BIG TREES (1952) with Kirk Douglas!!! Then at 10am, a sci-fi/noir, DONOVAN'S BRAIN (1953), this flick may seem pretty far out to those not into sci-fi, but stick with it, it has that noir-ish feel to it, and it rocks, starring Lew Ayres, Nancy Davis (yep, Nancy Reagan!!), and Steve Brodie! Another totally groovy flick!!

Then it's Patricia Medina's turn to shine in the spotlight for the rest of the day, actually she shows up in Director Felix Feist's last feature, PIRATES OF TRIPOLI (1955), then she shows up in another hybrid flick, this time sci-fi/fantasy/western, THE BEAST OF HOLLOW MOUNTAIN (1956) at 12:45pm, with Guy Madison in the saddle with her!! Then another relatively obscure crime flick, MIAMI EXPOSE (1956), where Patricia rocks it with such heavy mugs as Lee J Cobb and Edward Arnold!!! Lotsa crime flix this week that I haven't seen in a while and can't wait!!!

Now Fridays in June have been simply boom-chakka-lakka-lakka!!! With the Noir writers theme throughout! Unfortunately this week will be the final one for the month, but fortunately it will be a rockin' groovy time! But...before we get to the primetime theme, I have to shout it out for the early talkie/musical with Rudy Vallee and Marie Dressler airing at 7:15am on Friday morning: THE VAGABOND LOVER (1929)!!! Also starring Loretta Young's cute spunky sis, Sally Blane, who I used to think was Loretta, that's how much they look alike!! I always dig on these early talkies and these early musicals are fun, fun, fun!!!

Now, onto the Noir Writers theme, and to kick it off with Cornell Woolrich, and a totally awesome Val Lewton flick, THE LEOPARD MAN (1943)!!! This is a really moody, atmospheric "horror" flick, in Val Lewton "suggestive horror" stylings, and it contains perhaps two of the very creepiest scenes in all of horrordom!!! Just really intense!! Directed by Jacques Tourneur, it stars Dennis O'Keefe, Jean Brooks, Isabel Jewell, James Bell, and Margo!!! It totally rocks!! Then it's another Woolrich based flick, DEADLINE AT DAWN (1946), with Susan Hayward, Paul LUkas, Joseph Calleia, Osa Massen, Lola Lane and Jerome Cowan, this one really rocks as well!!! Then it's on to Raymond Chandler and two flix featuring the character of Philip Marlowe: MURDER MY SWEET (1944), with Dick Powell (reconstructing his career completely from sweet crooner boy to tough mug!!), Claire Trevor (sexy as all get out!!), Anne Shirley who is just sooooo sweet, Otto Kruger in a menacing performance, and Mike Mazurki!! Wow! And if that isn't enough, it's up to Bogie and Bacall to keep the sparks flying (and just about every dame in the picture is after Bogie, man!!! THE BIG SLEEP (1946), and it just rocks the house totally!!! Wrapping up the overnight sensation, it's LADY IN THE LAKE (1947), directed and starring Robert Montgomery, utilizing the POV perspective that is also in DARK PASSAGE, but doing it throughout the entire flick!!! Innovative, also starring gorgeous Audrey Totter, Lloyd Nolan, and Leon Ames!! And last, but never least, Hitch joins the fray with STRANGERS ON A TRAIN (1951)!!

Saturday morning, we rock right out at 9am with MAD MONSTER PARTY (1967)--get that groovy title, daddio!!! Boriw Karloff is on hand to MC the wacky and wild affair! Then it's this week's "Falcon" flick at 10:45am, this time Tom Conway and Barbara Hale return to mix it up in THE FALCON IN HOLLYWOOD (1944)!!! Veda Ann Borg, Sheldon Leonard, Jean Brooks, Rita Corday and Frank Jenks also get in on the act!!

Saturday late night and TCM underground features two zingers, starting at 2:30 am: THE PYSCHOPATH (1966)--never seen it, but sounds kinda creepy, might give it a whirl!!! And then, it's Lucille Ball (yeah it is!), Boris Karloff himself, George Sanders, Charles Coburn, Alan MOwbray, Cedric Hardwicke and my main man George Zucco in LURED (1947)!!!

Late night Sunday is where the grooves are at, kicking that off at midnight with Silent Sunday night's feature, THE LOVES OF PHARAOH (1922)!!! Directed by Ernst Lubitsch, it stars Emil Jannings, and one I've not seen before!!! Then it's world-wide gangsters with TOKYO DRIFTER (1966) and SALVATORE GUILIANO (1962) to close out the week!

Man, that's a really rockin' week, thank you, TCM!!! Hope all my friends on the boards are having great viewing times and may they continue for you! Happy days, TCM mugs and dames!

I enjoy your weekly grooves very much and I look forward to them with high anticipation but it is very sad to say there is very little intersection between your tastes and mine this week.

*The Whole Town's Talking* (1935) is one of our mutual likes. I love seeing two sides to Edward G. Robinson. :)

I do not remember seeing: *Dial 1119* (1950) so that is circled in my schedule.

The highlight of Wednesday for me is: *Rebecca* (1940). I know it receives frequent play but I feel that TCM could show it every month and it would not become old.

*Donovan's Brain* (1953) is definitely worth watching!

It is mostly on Friday where we disagree. I do not like: *The Vagabond Lover* (1929) but if you removed it and also *Rhapsody* (1954) and *Mrs. Soffel* (1984) then the day would be a perfect hit. *Love Affair* (1939), *June Bride* (1948), *Love in the Afternoon* (1957) and *Cannery Row* (1982) seem like a day I might have for an ideal schedule for the TCM Programming Challenge! They are all near perfect or so moving that their flaws do not matter.

I do not like also: *Deadline at Dawn* (1946) and I have lost interest in watching: *Strangers on a Train* (1951) again. The remainder of the night is definitely groovilicious!

*The Falcon in Hollywood* (1944) is one of the best of the series! I like spunky Barbara Hale in it very much.

The highlights for me for Sunday are: *It Happens Every Spring* (1949) and *Sweet November* (1968). I find the former a delightful romp and the latter is so very bittersweet it stays with me for days after each viewing.

I thank you for posting your weekly groove and I am sorry we do not agree on more of the week's selections.

Sans Fin! Thank you SO much for always sharing your thoughts in my groove fests!!! I really appreciate that you are interested in reading and sharing some of your own grooves with us!!! I have found several that you've mentioned that I tried out and dug!!! Thank you for that! I feel it's all a big groove and we're all just sharing what trips our wire and floats those boats, yanno???!! :)

I'm so happy to hear you dig on THE WHOLE TOWN'S TALKING!!! I really is rockin' to see Eddie G do the dual persona thing! And a great cast to boot!!! And I agree with you about next week's Falcon flick, it's one of the better of them! Barbara Hale is a huge fave of mine too!!

If you have the time, I'd certainly appreciate hearing your thoughts about DIAL 1119, if you don't mind??

Thanks again, and hope you're grooving all weekend long!!

Oh yeah, baby, it's ON!!! Tonight at 6pm it's Eddie G, Jean Arthur, Wally Ford, Edward Brophy and a cast of characters in the totally awesome THE WHOLE TOWN'S TALKING from 1935!!! Dual role brilliance from Eddie G, portraying both a vicious underworld gangster, and a meek unassuming clerk! Eddie's top of the line, baby, and we've got him this evening!

Then the first flick of tonight's Eleanor Parker fest is Kirk Douglas and Eleanor, along with another fantabulous cast in DETECTIVE STORY (1951)!!! Tense gripping drama with a dash of noir, and a bit of crime!!! But it's a lot more than that! Great flick!

Oh yeah, I'm double dipping tonight, thanks to TCM!!! It's a gasser, man!

I can't get beyond about 10 minutes into THE WORLD OF HENRY ORIENT, so I punched Play on my most recent DVD, and I was surprised to find the 1933 Gloria Swanson and Lawrence Olivier film, PERFECT UNDERSTANDING. I don't remember recording this. I guess I did it in my sleep or something. :)

Anyway, it's a very good pre-code. :)

.....wasn't that the Most Boring Movie, THE WORLD OF HENRY ORIENT !

Wish I had a copy of PERFECT UNDERSTANDING, lucky You !..it is amazing what you can do in your sleep :|

Looking forward to DOUBLE DEAL and BORN TO BE BAD in the AM, just hope I wake up in time...

Twink

> {quote:title=markbeckuaf wrote:}{quote}

> I'd certainly appreciate hearing your thoughts about DIAL 1119, if you don't mind??

I have now watched it. I hope very much that this is not one of your favorites because I must say that it did not impress me greatly. I did not feel as if I was in the presence of a psychotic and so I could not identify with the intended terror. I believe the slow pacing of the movie robbed it of any immediacy.

The actors were all competent and I can not complain of any performance but I found also no one thing to applaud. When so many of them had a reason to use the telephone it went through my mind that each and every one of them felt a desperate need to call their agent to see if there was a better role for them elsewhere.

I believe that with a tighter script and a more enthusiastic director the material could be excellent.

I am happy that I watched it because I had not seen it before but it is not one which I will be saving to watch again in the near future.

I am allowing the recorder to play the next movie which aired which is Armored Car Robbery because even with my back to the television I know I will enjoy it and I will be able to tell by the pacing of the dialogue when to turn to look to watch the best scenes.

> {quote:title=SansFin wrote:}{quote}

> The actors were all competent and I can not complain of any performance but I found also no one thing to applaud. When so many of them had a reason to use the telephone it went through my mind that each and every one of them felt a desperate need to call their agent to see if there was a better role for them elsewhere.

>

>

OMG, Sans Fin, this paragraph totally cracked me up!!!!!! :):)

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about the flick! I'm sorry it wasn't more to your liking, I tend to groove to it a bit more than you and Fred did (he responded in another thread about the flick). But I will say ARMORED CAR ROBBERY is quite a bit groovier, it has a bit of a different vibe to it, and I can see liking it better for sure! It pretty much rocks!!!

Thanks again for taking your time to share your thoughts, much appreciated!!

> Thank you for sharing your thoughts about the flick! I'm sorry it wasn't more to your liking,

I believe upon reflection that I am not the target audience for the way in which the story is told. I felt no sense of anticipation when the bus driver confronted him. I believe it was meant to be a moment of suspense as the audience wondered if the driver would be shot. It seemed obvious to me that it would happen and it was only slow pacing that we had to wait for it to happen.

Perhaps I have watched so many movies of the type of that era that I knew with great precision what would happen next. The main failing of the movie for me then is that it took so very long to do the things and there was no point where an unexpected thing happened to wrench me out of my complacency.

> I tend to groove to it a bit more than you and Fred did (he responded in another thread about the flick).

I am happy that the movie is enjoyable to you. It also puts it more into perspective for me when I believe a movie is wonderful and others feel it is ho-hum. I do not know what the other poster said of it as the magic of the forum software blanks out for me all of his comments.

> But I will say ARMORED CAR ROBBERY is quite a bit groovier,

I feel very much the same. It's rad, man!

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}

> I hope Armored Car Robbery wasnt TOO good. I set it to record, but the dvr had other ideas.

It makes me sorry to hear that. We can hope that it will air again soon because I am sure that you will enjoy it. The scene where the nun and the near-sighted leprechaun have a pillow fight is to die for! ;)

Edited by: SansFin on Jun 27, 2013 6:03 PM because I did not check to see if I any words out

Hibi!! Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear that!!! I hope TCM airs it again VERY soon for you!!!

It's not aired that frequently, but it does show up from time to time. Hopefully sooner than later!!

Do you use a cable company DVR? I do and I wish it was larger!!! I always seem to be running out of room on it!

That's good to know! I wrote them to ask. Yes, it's cable provided. It's not always reliable. Sometimes it will accept a recording, only not to record it later. It only seems to happen if I'm making a mass recording on a certain day. Usually it will alert me that there isnt enough space. I guess it's not sophisticated enough or something to add it all up! And yes, it doesnt hold enough! :(

> SansFin, I know you said that you thought tomorrow (Friday) would be one of the grooviest ever for you (at least most of the flix on the schedule), so just wanted to wish you a very happy Groovy Flix Day!!! I hope you enjoy!!!

I thank you for your kind thoughts. It is sad to say that fate decreed otherwise. It was past eight o'clock before we went to sleep and I was able to catch only a few minutes of: Love in the Afternoon before I had to go to the store and when I returned: Cannery Row had started and I do not like to come into a movie after it has begun.

I have most of the movies saved on DVD from previous airings. A surge prior to a power failure during a storm has affected our DVR which has a hard disk and is connected to cable so recording those which I do not have is not an option at the moment.