Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PETULIA!

lostApril1

Geez- o-flip! TCM is showing Petulia! I heard last night thanks to Frank Rich who selected it for his July stint. I'm verklempt. I saw this movie when it first came out, in a vitually empty theatre in Washington, DC. I was and still am in love with Julie Christie. Richard Chamberlain is stunning to look at, too. Nobody liked this film when it came out. They said it was bad, Pauline Kael accused the director of being too facile, cynically superficial, but it's a movie that remains fresh, original, and relevant. I've seen it multiple times. George C. Scott, Julie Christie, Joseph Cotton, and Shirley Knight are terrific. Kathleen Widdoes and the actor who plays her husband are terrific and Pippa Scott is memorable.There are some unforgettable moments, too many to list, including a very brief shot of Big Brother and the Holding Company. But my favorite scene is the oatmeal cookie scene between Archie and his estanged wife. Also a great cameo by AUSTIN PENDLETON. This is anything but a piece of 60's nostalgia. It's a wonderful unique experience. THANK YOU, Frank Rich. Who'd a thought you, the Butcher of Broadway, of all people would appreciate this film?

I agree, it's a terrific movie. Richard Lester does a fine job of directing, managing to create haunting, nostalgic ache in the atmosphere of the film, and George C. Scott turns in one of his best performances. But the top prize goes to Julie Christie. Her role could easily have been horribly misplayed to make her seem like a ditzy, shallow air-head. But Miss Christie portrays her as a free-spirited, spontaneous, and compassionate woman.

TCM has shown Petulia in the long past, perhaps a handful of times.

I always felt Julie Christie seemed a bit uncomfortable in the role, but her discomfort worked to give the film its disheveled, unbalanced mood, like the 60s. her agitation drives the picture. Believe me when it first came out I sat in a big empty theatre in Washington, DC to view it. No idea what was going on but fascinated by it. i took friends to see it and they hated it.

But then I liked Zabriski Point.

Edited by: lostApril1 on Jun 21, 2013 11:50 PM

I'll have to make an effort to see it. Read the book waaay back in high school and enjoyed it. Never got around to see what they did with it in movie form. And yes, Christie was lovely back in those days.

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings