Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE SIGN OF THE RAM (1948) 6:30 PM EDT

FredCDobbs

It's the only film that she made after her accident. It was a comeback for her at Columbia, curiously not at her old home studio of MGM. After this film, she found work on radio before passing away at a rather young age.

THE SIGN OF THE RAM aired last fall on TCM as part of its series about disabilities-- can't remember the exact name for the month-long retrospective.

I remember posting criticism that TCM featured too many films with healthy actors pretending to be impaired or disabled. But this picture, along with the ones that Lionel Barrymore made in a wheelchair towards the end of his career, are the real McCoy.

Though it's not a great film, I would also recommend people check out Christopher Reeve in the remake of REAR WINDOW. It's a brave performance and it shows up on the Encore Suspense Channel occasionally.

You're welcome, Fred.

On a slightly related note, there has been a storm brewing in Hollywood about the casting for a new TV version of Ironside. I guess the producers have hired an able-bodied actor to play the wheelchair-bound investigator. But some critics have felt that the role should go to a handicapped actor. I think it would certainly provide more authenticity.

Of course, Raymond Burr was not disabled when he did the original.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings