Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Newbie type Question

JR33928

For years i've been hearing the terms: Plot,Story,and Storyline but have only ever had a hazy understanding of the exact technical meaning of each.

Is "Plot" the same as "Story"?? Are they different or only different shades of the same thing??

How 'bout "Storyline"?? Is that about How the story is told,IOW is it about continuity or cohesiveness.

I know some movies can be hard to follow because of discontinuity of scenes....ya know,where scenes jump around w/o any seeming relation to the previous scene(s),which leaves people scratching their heads trying to figure out what's going on. :( :_|

Well anyway i've been watching movies and classic movies for a very long time and have always liked many of the movies TCM shows...but the confusion still remains about the exact meaning of these terms. ?:|

Anybody know the answers to my questions??

Thanks in advance for any helpful answers that help to clear up my confusion. ?:|

Think of "plot" as the internal organs, and "story" as the skin. We can all see your skin, but it's what's underneath that makes you tick.

And welcome to the boards!

Sepiatone

Edited by: Sepiatone on Jun 22, 2013 1:07 PM

I wish it were Capuchin answering this as he is a writer but I will provide what I am able to understand.

Plot is what happens. Boy meets girl then boy loses girl then boy wins lottery and hires man to track down and torture girl to death. The plots of: Frankenstein and: My Fair Lady are the same in that a man creates a thing and then he can not control it. The plots of: Romeo and Juliet and: West Side Story are the same in that two young people fall in love but social order keeps them apart.

Story is how it happens. For "boy meets girl" part of plot it is: Mary is dithering over which melon to buy when Brad steps up and shows her how to tell if one is properly ripe. She likes his smile and asks him questions to which she knows the answers because she wishes to prolong the conversation. And so on.

Storyline is the order in which the events are shown. I find this difficult to explain with any normal story because it is subtle so I will give an example from: Doctor Who. The Doctor meets River Song for the first time in a library and she dies. He meets her later and they have an adventure. He meets her later when she is born. He meets her later and they are married. This storyline is possible because The Doctor and River Song both travel in time and their meetings are not sequential from either viewpoint.

I hope this helps but if you are in serious need of clarification I will try to make Capuchin respond.

I think my biggest problem trying to understand "Plot" "Story" and "Storyline" is that they're sooo intertwined with each other that it's like trying to separate a handful of worms that are all wrapped around each other in a ball.Darn near impossible to do!! :( :8} ?:|

>I think my biggest problem trying to understand "Plot" "Story" and "Storyline" is that they're sooo intertwined with each other that it's like trying to separate a handful of worms that are all wrapped around each other in a ball.Darn near impossible to do!!

Well jr, ya see right THERE ya got yourself a "plot", and NOW all ya need is a "storyline" and who knows, maybe some Hollywood bigwig MIGHT take a fancy to that!

(...though they say you better have yourself a good Agent too of course)

;)

>The story is the plot plus the characters plus the setting. The storyline is the map of the story.

Saaay, didn't Danny Kaye have to keep repeatin' somethin' just like that to himself in a certain movie about some Court Jester???

(...oh...wait...never mind...on second thought I think I might have my wires crossed here...sorry)

> {quote:title=jr33928 wrote:}{quote}I think my biggest problem trying to understand "Plot" "Story" and "Storyline" is that they're sooo intertwined with each other that it's like trying to separate a handful of worms that are all wrapped around each other in a ball.Darn near impossible to do!! :( :8} ?:|

Don't sweat the small stuff. Enjoy the movie.

http://faculty.sgc.edu/rkelley/Classical%20Hollywood%20Screenplay%20Structure.htm

Jake in the Heartland

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings