Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Jane Russell movies today

What a shame that the copy of YOUNG WIDOW, which just began in my time zone, is in such a sorry state. If ever a film needed restoration, it's this one, unless you just somehow got a hold of a really bad print. And it wasn't the best copy of the previous film you just ran, with spots all over Walter Huston and lines on Jane Russell face---not the kind we have in real life.

I hope these don't end up in worse shape than they are now.

All of her RKO films are in the Turner Library. I have written about THE FRENCH LINE previously. That one is in an even worse state, and I think it is scheduled later today. The colors are all faded and even the audio sounds muffled in spots. It's a shame that better care (and money) hasn't been placed into restoring these Russell films more adequately. The emphasis seems to be on cleaning up the prints of her pictures with Mitchum (there were just two) and to let everything else slide.

*Underwater!* was underwhelming due to the fact that a P&S print was used and not the SuperScope*.* That was bad enough but add the fact that the colors were, at times, just a notch better than B&W and would suddenly burst into brighter than bright! Ouch! Tough to watch.