Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TV Shows Based On Movies

sfpcc1

This might be confusing so bear me out. Name an actor or actress who was in a TV show based on a movie, who later made a movie that was turned into a TV show. I can name two:

Early in her career Sandra Bullock stared in the TV reworking of Working Girl, which starred Melanie Griffith. Later on she stared in the thriller The Net. That was made into a short lived series on the USA network staring Brooke Langton, (Melrose Place, The Replacements.)

Delta House, the TV version of Animal House had Michelle Pffiefer in a small roll. Years later she made the film about high school Dangerous Minds. That was turned into a short lived ABC series with Annie Potts, (Designing Women.)

How about *Hope Lange?* She received a 1957 Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actress for her performance as Selena Cross in "Peyton Place." The movie was turned into a long-running television serial on ABC in the 1960s.

Meanwhile, Lange won Primetime Emmys for the 1968-1969 and 1969-1970 seasons for her appearances on the NBC comedy series "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" (she played the latter character). The series was based on the 1947 film starring Rex Harrison and Gene Tierney.

And remember *Richard Anderson,* who played OSI boss Oscar Goldman on both "The Six Million Dollar Man" and "The Bionic Woman" in the 1970s? He was in the films "Twelve O'Clock High" (1949), "The Long Hot Summer" (1958) and "The Wackiest Ship in the Army" (1960), which were turned into TV series in the 1960s.

He also starred in the 1961-62 TV series "Bus Stop," which was based on the 1955 William Inge play and the 1956 film starring Marilyn Monroe and Don Murray. By the way, Murray was once married to Hope Lange!

Then there's *Inger Stevens,* who starred as Katy Holstrum in the 1960s TV version of "The Farmer's Daughter" on ABC. The role had previously produced a 1947 Oscar for Loretta Young.

Stevens co-starred with Richard Widmark and Henry Fonda in the 1968 feature film "Madigan." Widmark later reprised his role as the title detective in a 1972-73 TV version, which was a rotating series on the NBC Wednesday Mystery Movie.

I just thought of *Jack Palance*, who starred in the 1960s TV series "The Greatest Show on Earth," which certainly was inspired by Cecil B. DeMille's 1952 Oscar-winning film of the same title. Palance also was the classic villain in George Stevens' "Shane" (1953), which was turned into a short-lived 1966 TV series featuring a pre-"Kung Fu" David Carradine as the title character.

Not sure if this fits completely into all the parameters of your question here sfp, BUT how about one Chris Robinson here...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTpyT2LJpMKYNl4nuz2Hz

...who was a semi-regular on the '60s TV program "Twelve O'Clock High" based on the WWII movie of the same name, and who had a guest starring role in one of the episodes of "The Fugitive", which would of course go on to become a star vehicle for Harrison Ford in 1993.

(...but IF this DOESN'T quite cover all those parameters of yours here, if it'll help ya feel any better, I'm SURE given enough time I COULD eventually tie Mr.Robinson here to Mr.Kevin Bacon!) ;)

Actually sfp, that was "All My Children"'s Peter Bergman here...

I believe Chris "starred" in a series of some kind of "Constipation Aid" type commercials back in the day, but I don't think he actually says that infamous line in 'em.

(...btw, I believe it was that series of commercials that Johnny Carson once spoofed, where he says something to the effect of, "Let's talk about constipation", and then he gets hit with a whole bunch of pies right in the kisser)

Bill Bixby has not been mentioned yet. He starred in THE COURTSHIP OF EDDIE'S FATHER, in the role played by Glenn Ford in the MGM movie. He would go on to do the television series The Incredible Hulk, which became a movie in 2008 with Edward Norton. Earlier he had appeared in the TV show My Favorite Martian, which became a feature film in 1999.

> {quote:title=Dargo2 wrote:}{quote}Actually sfp, that was "All My Children"'s Peter Bergman here...

>

>

>

> I believe Chris "starred" in a series of some kind of "Constipation Aid" type commercials back in the day, but I don't think he actually says that infamous line in 'em.

>

> (...btw, I believe it was that series of commercials that Johnny Carson once spoofed, where he says something to the effect of, "Let's talk about constipation", and then he gets hit with a whole bunch of pies right in the kisser)

Chris Robinson did the "I'm not a doctor" commercials first in 1984. He lost the job after he was convicted of income tax evasion in 1985 and Vicks hired Bergman.

OK. This thread has me flummoxed!

There WAS a TV series based on a movie( in the 1970's, I think) in which the star of the MOVIE reprised his role on the TV show.

I SWEAR it!

I just can't remember what it WAS!!!

HELP!

Sepiatone

I think when he was much younger Chris Robinson usually played a

wiseguy punk on quite a few TV shows. I could check imdb, but I'll

just wing it for a change.

A little off topic, but Karl Malden was in a TV series called Skag. That

has to be one of the worse TV titles of all time. It only ran for a few

episodes before it was cancelled. :(

> {quote:title=Sepiatone wrote:}{quote}

> OK. This thread has me flummoxed!

>

> There WAS a TV series based on a movie( in the 1970's, I think) in which the star of the MOVIE reprised his role on the TV show.

>

>

> I SWEAR it!

>

>

> I just can't remember what it WAS!!!

>

>

> HELP!

>

>

> Sepiatone

>

This was one of my favorite trivia questions about the Oscars. Yul Brynner won the 1956 Best Actor award for his performance as the King of Siam in "The King and I." He reprised the character in "Anna and the King," a short-lived 1972 CBS comedy series opposite Samantha Eggar.

Also, John Houseman, who won the 1973 Best Supporting Actor Oscar for his performance in "The Paper Chase," returned to the role for a TV version of the movie. It ran off and on between 1978 and 1986 via several networks.

Brynner and Houseman became the only Oscar winners to repeat their award-winning characters on regular television series.

Nia Vradalos reprised her role in My Big Fat Greek Wedding for a short lived CBS sitcom. The John Corbett role was replaced by Chris Eiglemen, (Gilmore Girls) I Think. Vic Tayback reprised his role as Mel Sharples from Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore in the Long Running Alice. When Polly Holliday left to do the spinoff Flo she was replace by Diane Ladd, who played the original Flo. However, she did not last long and was replaced by Celia Weston, (Dead Man Walking, Little Man Tate, Junebug)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings