Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Washington political thrillers

I'm probably whistling past the celluloid metal cannister again, but I wish TCM would consider expanding on it's perennial staple of washington-based political dramas...which seems to consist presently of just two films, Seven Days In May and Advise And Consent. I'd love it if TCM would show Washington: Behind Closed Doors, the powerhouse political thriller from ABC-TV in 1977. Also there is Will: G. Gordon Liddy from 1980 with Robert Conrad.

TCM on more than one occasion has shown *The Parallax View* . But they could venture out more. I'd like to see them put *The Seduction of Joe Tynan* on air now and then. I also wish *The Right Man* would get a bit more airplay.

Sepiatone

I just saw *The Seduction Of Joe Tynan* of the Flix Channel, (maybe it was Retro I get them confused.)

One film TCM could show is the obscure 1979 film *Winter Kills*, also known as *The American Success Company. Executive Action* would be a another good choice. These films sound like something that would have been on ON TV in 1980, 1981, a weird and interesting time for movies.

FAIL SAFE is the one I never miss on TCM. Love that film and love Fonda as the president. Matthau and Hagman are superb in their roles. I think we all wish they could all be a President like Fonda's portayal. THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE and THE DAY OF THE JACKAL are shown occasionally and are both exceptional political thrillers. MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON is really a political thriller in many ways. I actually think TCM does a fine job of showing political thrillers of many types.

My favorite has always been *Advise and Consent*. As an old Washington denizen, it rings more true than any of the others I've seen. Good solid stuff. Of the more recent ones, *All the President's Men* gets me where I live. Perfect picture.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings