Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE OSCAR

Dothery

Wow. I just finished watching it and I'm all wrung out. I'd forgotten how brutal it was. And I'd forgotten too how great the cast was. All headliners. Amazing. I was a little startled to see Nancy Sinatra with a screen credit for the footage of her with her father when he got the award. Must be a SAG rule.

Stephen Boyd was good when he was given the chance. This one was too over the top to be really good, but there were some moments where he was a tiny bit subtle.

I keep connecting him with Dolores Hart, the nun who was his friend for so many years. She said he was very spiritual and was a lovely man.

I got a kick out of the interview with her that I read a while ago. She said the only thing the other sisters in the convent wanted to know about her Hollywood years was, what was Elvis like? She said she always told them her thoughts about him, that he was polite and nice and she liked him.

Where was I? Oh. Stephen Boyd. Yeah. He was onscreen the whole time, it seemed. Must have been a hard job, being in almost every scene.

I'd never seen this movie before but found it strangely compelling. I actually thought Edie Adams, in her couple of scenes, very good. Boyd was adequate, and Tony Bennett wasn't too awful, in spite of the scenery chewing. Milton Berle was actually pretty good too. It wasn't nearly the train wreck I was expecting.

The only reason TCM ran THE OSCAR this morning was because of this Eleanor Parker cycle they're currently in but no matter I will watch this whenever they show it. Stephen Boyd is an absolute howl. What a low-life crud but it's his performance throughout that makes this so unforgettable and entertaining. I don't care what anybody says this is a classic or it will be. :D

Unless of course, it would be a British movie were talkin' about here, and THEN "rubbish" would be a LITTLE more watchable than "refuse" would be.

(...btw...anyone else around here think "The Carpetbaggers" might be as much of one of these "guilty pleasures" as the "The Oscar" is?...'cause I SURE think so, anyway!)

Yes, I do, I do ( waving my hand in the air) So much fun watching these types of movies about Hollywood. Interesting, don't know if it's true, but George Peppard, was suppose to be not the nicest fella in Hollywood. Not very well liked, or respected.Of course, you can't think of it as the best follow up to another film, that I like very much *Nevada Smith* . But for a trashy, fun film *The Carpetbaggers* is the same type of guilty veiwing pleasure. :)

Wow Lavender. It sounds as if you might think Nevada Smith is one of the most underrated and under-appreciated Westerns ever made too, eh?!

So many great characters fleshed out by some great actors in that one.

(...love the ending especially...it's nothin' like any other Western I can recall offhand)

You may be overstating a little. I said I liked *Nevada Smith* very much. Karl Malden yelling "ya yella" and "finish me off". Good ending. I have to admit, whenever *Nevada Smith* is on I do watch and I do have a copy of the film.

Another trashy Hollywood film, actually 2, are *Harlow* . Carroll Baker and Carol Lynley versions. Satisfying trashy Holluwood films to fulfill that guilty pleasure mood we get into. :) although, 2 versions! Maybe that was carrying it a little too far. LOL

Yeah, Carroll Baker was on a trashy roll (no pun intended!) in the 60s (Harlow and Carpetbagger) they may have been filmed back to back. Sylvia was another one. And to think she came from the Actor's Studio (LOL!) Wonder what Strasberg thought? :D Oh, I thought of another one! Station Six Sahara!

HBO recently showed a documentary on Richard Zanuck and he said the "hardest thing he ever had to do in his role as head of 20th was to go into Judy Garland's dressing room and fire her from Valley of the Dolls". He told her "I am doing you a favor". I thought, "boy, did you get that right".

Agree that Carroll Baker's career got a bit derailed, shall we say? But I liked her. Baby Doll, Giant....... I did not know she came from the Actor's Studio. And let's not forget Ice Station Zebra or is that the same thing as Station Six Sahara?

I always thought "Ice Station Zebra" wasn't a bad flick at all, StBart! I know some people think it's a bit of a joke, but I always thought it ratcheted up the tension rather nicely, and the special effects STILL kinda hold up to this day. And, ya just GOTTA love the expression on Jim Brown's face when he figures out much too late who the bad guy really is. MAYBE the best acting Jim ever did, EH?! LOL

(...AND, whenever it's shown on TV, in honor of Howard Hughes, I NEVER clip my toenails OR fingernails while watchin' it!) ;)

To be fair, I have not seeen Ice Station Zebra since the movies. Maybe it has something to do with my having a date way back then and I never heard from her again..... it had to have been the film, right? I think I will netflix it just to see Jim Brown's expressions.....

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings