Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Manners III

Sepiatone

Let's see how long it takes to get THIS one locked!

Yesterday on the TV show "THE CHEW", their theme was "Movie Blockbusters". At the beginning, host Clinton Kelly related a statistic that was surprising. First, he asked the audience if they hated it when people text, tweet or use their cell phones in a movie theater, and the concensus was "YES!"

He then related the statistic( I forget where he got it from) that claimed a majority percentage of 18-35 year olds claimed they would go to the movies MORE OFTEN if texting, tweeting and cell phone use were ALLOWED! ( He then did a humorous pantomime of someone texting, saying, "Hello, I'm texting you about this movie I'm NOT watching because I'm busy texting you!").

In this case, it looks like the rudeness of texters, twits and cell phone users won't be coming to an end anytime soon.

Sepiatone

Are you sure you want to do this, Sepiatone, baby? :0

As to the content of your original post here, if you recall, I came up with a great solution to that problem, on a discussion right here, almost a year ago in fact.

I'm not going to say what it is...maybe you remember.

I still say it's a good idea.

Also: I believe the existence of cell phones, "smart phones', i-pads, "twitter" and all things cyber or digital or computer tech or whatever the correct phrase is ("social media"?) has hugely exacerbated a way of thinking that has always been with us, but has become much worse since the development of these devices:

People don't seem to know how to live in the moment. They're more interested in talking about that moment than living it.

I haven't been to the theater in years, but the kids today and their staring into various electronics really hit home on Father's Day. My significant other and I visited his son, daughter in law and grandkids in another town. As usual when we visit, when we got there everyone was still in pajamas at 1:30 pm and the daughter in law and grandsons had their heads buried in various hand held electronics (his son was on a business call due to being on-call with his company. Once he got off the phone, he did come in and talked with us.) If it was a one time occurence, I'd overlook it, but it happens every time we go there. I could even overlook it with the kids, ages 6 and 9. But their mom is in her early 40's--she should know better. It infuriates me how rude she is. I go with my guy because he wants me to and I really do like the son. But his family just makes me so mad that I really don't care to go there anymore.

Just venting I guess. I have no children, but other people I know in their 30's and 40's aren't this way. I think maybe the DIL doesn't like me, even though I've been nothing but nice to them. Even took a very expensive cake, which no one bothered to try, because I was visiting my SO there yesterday while he was dog sitting during their vacation. It really hurt my feelings to see that uneaten cake still on the counter.

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}That's awful about the cake. I never pass up free food when offered.......

In 1789, Marie Antoinette had the same thought in mind when she suggested that the starving Parisian peasants be given "cake" because there was a shortage of bread in Paris. ;) Just a little primer for upcoming Bastille Day on July 14.

A matter of etiquette..... A gentleman, when on an elevator with ladies, is supposed to let them depart first. However, when I'm on the elevator with women who are either talking on their cellphones, or looking down at their smartphones, my thinking is, f*** 'em, and I just get off as soon as the door opens. Anyone got a problem with that?

Edited by: finance on Jun 25, 2013 5:31 PM

I got a problem with it, Fi. Get with the 21st century, you don't need to let the ladies off first any more. If anyone is physically challenged, yes, by all means help them. But otherwise, no. It's awkward anyhow, if the woman is farthest from the door. I've been arthritic all my life -- RA -- but I never wanted anyone to notice, so when I was a teenager I was glared at on buses and subways if I was sitting down and some husky woman (to borrow a phrase from Horace Vandergelder) glared at me, wanting the seat.

You're right, peer pressure prevails. To give an extreme example, I used to go to a New Year's Eve party every year where I would chat with a woman named Joyce, who was a psychologist at Bedford Hills women's prison in New York State. She said there were alot of inmates who killed their husbands/boyfriends while the men were asleep, because the women were being abused, and that was the only time they could release themselves from the cycle of pain. Joyce said the abusive men went against nature, since "nature intended that men should PROTECT women, that's why men are generally bigger, stronger, have deeper voices, etc." She really believed that there was a biological imperative for men to "let the women off first." So that goes against my 21st century argument! Btw, Jean Harris, of the diet doctor murder, was an inmate there, though hers was a crime of passion.

My friend told me that Jean Harris was a model inmate, helping the other women with all sort of projects, education, etc. Jean had been Headmistress at a posh girls school. Not sure Jody will be up to emulating Jean's prison behavior!

>For some reason, at my gym, which has elevators in two different places, most of the guys let women off first. When I get off first, I feel as if I'm going to be discussed all over the gym as a rude, boorish Neanderthal.

Wow finance! Gotta say, with you actually writin' TWO whole sentences about this scenario here, this MUST be a major concern of yours, ol' buddy!!! LOL

;)

Actually, here's MY "pet peeve" in regard to present day "manners"....

Why in this day and age do I still run into situations where a woman will be three of four paces ahead of me while we're both on our way towards a shop or any other business establish's door, and as she opens it, she will NOT look behind her to see if anyone else(such as ME) is maybe only 2 or 3 second to said door ALSO, but instead she will just blithely walk through said door and not hold it for me??? Because, I ALWAYS hold the door for ANYONE and EVERYONE, regardless of the person's gender who might be coming up behind me! In FACT, there have been many occasions where I'll almost act as a freakin' DOORMAN and hold the sucker open for 3, 4, 5 or maybe MORE folks so they can get inside or leave the premises.

'Cause like I SAID, in THIS day and age, AND with the idea that women and men are "equal" or at least should have "equal responsibilities", then what is with these women anyway, HUH?! 'CAUSE, it's just COMMON COURTESY! And I seldom if ever observe a guy doing this(blithely walkin' through these entrances, that is), as MEN will almost ALWAYS hold it for me.

(...okay...sorry...rant over)

LOL

I won't stand there and let a guy go ahead of me if I get to the door first but I might hold it long enough for him to get ahold of the handle. That is one thing I appreciate in a gentleman--one who will hold the door and I always thank the person. I'll hold the elevator for anyone and I'm not a stickler for men standing when I come into a room, but the door thing is something I like and appreciate, even in these modern times.

Well Helen, as long as I've been around here, you HAVE always struck me as the courteous sort...though a little on the "traditional" side, maybe!. ;)

And so, I suppose I can AT LEAST appreciate the idea that you AT LEAST hold those doors a jar for the next guy comin' up behind ya anyway, and aren't, as I mentioned down there, one of those "ladies" that just "blithely" go through 'em.

(...and so just think of me as more the "Modern Man" type here...or say, maybe even a "FEMINIST"!...though my wife would probably tell ya I'd be stretchin' the truth a bit about callin' myself THAT!!!) ;)

LOL

< ..there have been occasions where I'll act like a freakin' DOORMAN and hold the door open for more then 10, 12 or maybe MORE Folks...>

...WELL YEAH ! !....when you're wearing a 'RED Wal-Mart Greeter Vest,'.... WHAT do you Expect!!!!!!

:0

Twink

I feel the same way you do Helen about guys holding doors for me. I always say thank you and a I appreciate the gesture. Gives me hope that the world still has a few considerate conventions left.

I always hold a door open if I get there first for young, old, male or female. Just a courtesy.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings